Null

augolf1716

Unlike Urban Meyer, Gene Chizik really is a coach who quit to spend more time with his family

Chizik is a good guy and I totally agree with your post.  I dislike Urban far more than I dislike Saban.  

wde

• Like 2

Its hard to maintain balance in coaching...almost impossible. Well done, Coach

• Like 9

33 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Its hard to maintain balance in coaching...almost impossible. Well done, Coach

Except, he isn't coaching, lol. I do applaud his choice though; he's fortunate to (apparently) have the financial wherewithal to choose the way he did.

• Like 1

I just wonder what he's going to do to occupy his time now that he's no longer pulling 15 hour days as a coach. I mean, going to kids' sporting events is important, but I can't help thinking he might well have the itch to get back into coaching in a couple of years after his son graduates high school. Maybe he and Malzahn can mend fences enough that he'd take some kind of position at Auburn, thus staying close to his family while still getting a dose of football. Much as I don't think he makes for a great head coach, he's definitely a great defensive mind, and maybe he truly does have the humility to come back and work under his former OC. I doubt it, but it'd be pretty cool if they can make it work.

In any case, though, good for him for actually putting family first for a change. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fredst said:

Except, he isn't coaching, lol. I do applaud his choice though; he's fortunate to (apparently) have the financial wherewithal to choose the way he did.

Once a coach always a coach

• Like 3

Love this man. He was part of a terrible, perfect storm of a football season. If you believe in God, you understand that He allows trials to come into our lives to shape our character. Chizik has surely grown as a person through all that he's been through. It is obvious he loves his wife his kids. I truly respect him and hope that, one day, he will be again associated with Auburn athletics.

• Like 8

I've said it before and I'll say it again,I like Chizik and I'm a Chizik fan.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, kd4au said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again,I like Chizik and I'm a Chizik fan.

For better or worse, he's always going to be in that Larry Coker, Barry Switzer (Cowboys version) "worst coach to win a championship" conversation but I always thought he was a stand-up dude. Glad to see he's found some balance and genuine satisfaction in his life. Would that we all were so fortunate. 

Very happy for him.  If he does get bored and needs a new job, maybe hire him as a defensive analyst like Al Borges is for offense?  This way he still has the free time since he is not allowed to recruit, gets to work for Auburn again, and still gets to be involved with football.  It seems like a good fit to me.  One of course if Gene is ever up for it.

• Like 1

This is a man who has his priorities in the right place well done Mr. Chizik.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Very happy for him.  If he does get bored and needs a new job, maybe hire him as a defensive analyst like Al Borges is for offense?  This way he still has the free time since he is not allowed to recruit, gets to work for Auburn again, and still gets to be involved with football.  It seems like a good fit to me.  One of course if Gene is ever up for it.

I expect that even as an analyst there is always one more tape to take a look at or a game to break down....and next thing you know it's  10PM. 

Best to keep some distance and for the next couple years at least, just enjoy the family and do some volunteer work in the community..or some "talk show" gigs on one of the sports networks where he can work from home. . .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

This is a man who has his priorities in the right place well done Mr. Chizik.

Yes he does and the fact that many fans put such a priority on football and winning, the pressure on coaches is enormous. Yes they are paid well but they have to decide if it's worth it in the long run. I'm happy for him. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

That is true

30 years later when I see my High School coaches I still address them as coach

• Like 1

FWIW, Urban didn't leave UF to be with his family. Urban had all kind of internal "workings" that pretty much made him leave. Personal and professional. He isn't a "good guy" as he is made out to be. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I just wonder what he's going to do to occupy his time now that he's no longer pulling 15 hour days as a coach. 

Valid point and one that many of us non-coaches need to address as well when retirement comes.  For many of us, the job fills up much of our lives and often is a major part of our identity and self-worth. While we naturally think about having the financial aspects of retirement in order, psychologically preparing for a different, post-career, life deserves our attention as well.  It sounds like Chiz has done some of that thinking in terms of having family take the central place in his life vice his career.  From my happy retired guy perspective, he'll have all sorts of opportunities for an interesting and meaningful life, whether or not it involves football.  Great decision by a really good guy.

29 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

FWIW, Urban didn't leave UF to be with his family. Urban had all kind of internal "workings" that pretty much made him leave. Personal and professional. He isn't a "good guy" as he is made out to be. 

It's humorous how many people bought that. Yeah, good thing he got out of the SEC pressure cooker so that he could go into semi-retirement at quiet little Ohio State. 

49 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

For several years after Urban left, when I would journey down into Florida and visit a bar or restaurant I could overhear UF fans talking about Urban.  For a guy that won two National Championships the Florida fan base does not have a lot of love for the guy.

6 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Great decision Coach!

Thanks for posting Golf.  This may wind up in a sermon sometime pretty soon. 😀

Maybe before you start the sermon show the video to American Dream by Casting Crowns.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, afblue said:

Valid point and one that many of us non-coaches need to address as well when retirement comes.  For many of us, the job fills up much of our lives and often is a major part of our identity and self-worth. While we naturally think about having the financial aspects of retirement in order, psychologically preparing for a different, post-career, life deserves our attention as well.  It sounds like Chiz has done some of that thinking in terms of having family take the central place in his life vice his career.  From my happy retired guy perspective, he'll have all sorts of opportunities for an interesting and meaningful life, whether or not it involves football.  Great decision by a really good guy.

Thanks for your service.

14 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

For several years after Urban left, when I would journey down into Florida and visit a bar or restaurant I could overhear UF fans talking about Urban.  For a guy that won two National Championships the Florida fan base does not have a lot of love for the guy.

That's the thing about winning at all costs, I guess. It has costs. 

• Like 1

That's a great idea @AUMASTERS!

I have played that video before in a sermon, but it's been a few years. Could be time to do it again!

The contrast between Chizik and Jimmy Johnson is such a vivid illustration about priorities. Just add a Bible verse or two and it basically preaches itself. 

Edited by AUpreacherman22
  • Like 3