Woody Barrett Transferring

Auhud08

https://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Source-Auburn-Tigers-quarterback-Woody-Barrett-leaving-program-52670771/Amp

quoting article helps..

Woody Barrett’s brief stint at Auburn is over.

The backup quarterback is planning to leave Auburn, a source familiar with the decision tells AuburnUndercover. Barrett slid down the depth chart in the spring and did not receive a single snap in the second half of the A-Day game.

Barrett is expected to transfer to a junior college for a semester before rejoining a Division I program, a source close to Barrett told AUC.

UPDATED (10:40 a.m.): The quarterback later confirmed his intention to leave Auburn on Twitter.

Barrett's development has been slow while on campus. He injured his ankle shortly after arriving on campus, missed several practices in August and was slow to learn the system and process information throughout his redshirt season. Newcomer Malik Willis, a freshman, then leapfrogged him on the depth chart this spring, leaving Barrett fourth on the depth chart.

The former four-star recruit was rated the nation's No. 6 dual-threat quarterback, according to the 247Sports Composite.

Sources tell AuburnUndercover.com that Auburn’s offseason change at offensive coordinator/quarterback coach (Rhett Lashlee left and was replaced by Chip Lindsey) also was a factor in Barrett’s decision to leave because he hadn’t felt comfortable in the new offense.

Auburn coaches were also surprised at his lack of progress. When asked specifically about Barrett's position on the team, Auburn coach Gus Malzahn was not high on the quarterback.

“Yeah, you know, we’ll have to see,” Malzahn said Thursday outside the Tampa Auburn Club. “He’s kind of toward the bottom of the depth chart right there but he’s got a lot of winner in him and he’s got a lot of competitiveness in him and we’ll just have to see.”

Barrett attempted — and completed — only two passes, the lowest amount among all quarterbacks at the A-Day scrimmage. Walkon quarterback Devin Adams played more than Barrett and was 3 of 4 passing for 73 yards and one touchdown, the lone throwing score of the scrimmage. Barrett’s completions went for 12 and two yards.

Barrett is the second quarterback to leave the program since the spring. Backup Tyler Queen left for Division II West Georgia in March.

Former quarterback John Franklin III was moved from quarterback to receiver in the spring.

Auburn is down to three scholarship quarterbacks for 2017 — Jarrett Stidham, 2016 starter Sean White and Willis. 

The Tigers have one class-of-2018 quarterback commitment — Joey Gatewood — and would like to add another. Five-star recruit Justin Fields of Kennesaw (Ga.) Harrison probably is Auburn’s top target, but he currently is committed to Penn State.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disappointing. Now he will play for some D1 school never to be heard from again. He might could have gotten 1 starting year under his belt eventually had he stayed.

It's only official when the engravers have been contacted about the name plate on his bust for the Future Dual Threat Saviors of Auburn Football Hall of Fame. 

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Disappointing, I thought he was supposed to be really good.

A lot to take away from this.  The team is still plagued by lack of depth at QB.  If Stidham is as good as advertised, how long will he remain at Auburn before going to the NFL, and what impact will that have on the team as far as QB depth is JS leaves early?  How will Gus handle this?  As even Gus supporters have pointed out, Gus has not done well with making adjustments for attrition from something other than graduating.  However, a plus is, any program will have players leave when a new coordinator shows up and they don't feel they fit the new system.  This could mean Gus really is backing off and Lindsey is able to put his own stamp on the offense.  Also, does Gus go after another JUCO QB to help with depth this next recruiting cycle?

Writing was on the wall after a day game! Best of luck! May open up our qb recruiting though for Penn State guy.

5 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

A lot to take away from this.  The team is still plagued by lack of depth at QB.  If Stidham is as good as advertised, how long will he remain at Auburn before going to the NFL, and what impact will that have on the team as far as QB depth is JS leaves early?  How will Gus handle this?  As even Gus supporters have pointed out, Gus has not done well with making adjustments for attrition from something other than graduating.  However, a plus is, any program will have players leave when a new coordinator shows up and they don't feel they fit the new system.  This could mean Gus really is backing off and Lindsey is able to put his own stamp on the offense.  Also, does Gus go after another JUCO QB to help with depth this next recruiting cycle?

Think it will help open the door for another recruit. Has to look promising to someone if J.S. does really well, that there's a qb "project" in willis and S.White who has been good but injury prone ahead of them.

I wish he was sticking around mainly because QB situations can turn on it's head in the blink of an eye and we could use all the talent we can pool together at the QB spot.

I need to add that I'm sad he is leaving. Never like a kid to leave Auburn. However, with all the talk of his light not coming on etc, if the season came down to J.S, White and possibly willis being hurt, any one of us could start at QB and it wouldn't matter, the season would probably be toast

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Barrett was behind the walk-on QB from Mobile. Not a huge lost. 

Was Barrett another poor eval by Gus and Rhett?

12 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Not sure you can really say we're "plagued" by a lack of depth.  How many schools have a front line starter, a backup with significant game experience and success when healthy (and who won't be having to grind through an entire season of hits now), and a FR who seems to be catching on quickly as the 3rd stringer?  I mean, maybe you want one more body in there to preserve Willis' redshirt if you could (which technically we have in Devin Adams), but in most cases, that's a pretty darn good three-deep to have.  

4 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I wish he was sticking around mainly because QB situations can turn on it's head in the blink of an eye and we could use all the talent we can pool together at the QB spot.

I think we can safely assume that in the worst case scenario that if WB ever needed to start any game next year, the season would probably be a loss anyways.

1 minute ago, ToomersStreet said:

In terms of physical talent?  No.  In terms of internal drive and passion to do what it takes to learn the offense?  I guess?

Just now, TitanTiger said:

Not sure you can really say we're "plagued" by a lack of depth.  How many schools have a front line starter, a backup with significant game experience, and a FR who seems to be catching on quickly as the 3rd stringer?  I mean, maybe you want one more body in there to preserve Willis' redshirt if you could, but in most cases, that's a pretty darn good three-deep to have.  

Not to start a huge argument but the team was three deep last year. Jeremy Johnson had significant game experience. JF3 who was catching on quickly and Sean as the starter.  Turned out to be a paper tiger.

2 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

WB was the #6 rated DT QB in the 2016 class according to 247, just 3 spots behind Jalen Hurts - I think maybe everyone poorly evaluated him.

2 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Not to start a huge argument but the team was three deep last year. Jeremy Johnson had significant game experience. JF3 who was catching on quickly and Sean as the starter.  Turned out to be a paper tiger.

But the three deep is significantly better.  I don't really see how you can even compare the two.

Sean was a gritty but physically limited starter.

JJ was a 2nd stringer with significant game experience, most of it terrible.

JF3 was a superb athlete who showed flashes of potential but I never heard he was "catching on quickly."

Just now, TitanTiger said:

But the three deep is significantly better.  I don't really see how you can even compare the two.

Sean was a gritty but physically limited starter

JJ was a 2nd stringer with significant game experience, most of it terrible.

JF3 was a superb athlete who showed flashes of potential but I never heard he was "catching on quickly."

AU's QB depth is light years ahead of last year. Not even in the same galaxy. 

Archived