Woody Barrett Transferring

Auhud08

I'd say it's premature to say he dropped the ball on Barrett.  Barrett's main issue is one of work ethic and attitude, something you don't necessarily know until the guy has the opportunity to step up.  They tried to give Woody a chance to show what he was made of last year when they threw a lot at him to see if he could get in the mix last season.  He wasn't ready and while that was ok since he was a true freshman, I think they expected him to get after it this offseason and spring practice and make a real move forward.  He didn't do that.  I've heard "lackadaiscial" and "too cool for school" thrown about in regard to how Woody approached things.  Maybe a fresh start somewhere with less pressure will adjust that attitude for him and he'll shine.  But that's different from what we know about Keihl and Jeremy IMO.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Tiger said:

My thing with Gatewood is that there is this "red flaggy" cloud hanging over his situation to me. I could be wrong as hell but if he flops it just seems like it's going to be way too easy to trace things back to him not being good enough to be a full time QB for his HS. Just like with JF3. After we saw him play the story on him is "well, of course -- he couldn't even be a starter at his JUCO and the guy he backed up didn't even get a scholarship offer anywhere." Does anyone know where the kid Gatewood was backing up ended up going to school?

I mean this is supposed to be an elite-level QB talent, you'd think the coach is putting the best QB on the field...

Not trying to be a jerk or down the kid but I'm treading lightly on JG until he gets on campus. I really hope he becomes the next statue in front of JHS but I'm glad we are looking to take 2 QBs.

You're not being a jerk. It's a valid concern shared by many.

We can hope that it really is a deal where his high school is crazy blessed with two legit P5 QBs in the same class, so the freak athlete of the two is used elsewhere in the best interests of the team. Even if that's the case, though, it's in Auburn's best interests for Joey to be getting all the reps at QB. Fingers crossed that happens his senior season. 

19 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I'd say it's premature to say he dropped the ball on Barrett.  Barrett's main issue is one of work ethic and attitude, something you don't necessarily know until the guy has the opportunity to step up.  They tried to give Woody a chance to show what he was made of last year when they threw a lot at him to see if he could get in the mix last season.  He wasn't ready and while that was ok since he was a true freshman, I think they expected him to get after it this offseason and spring practice and make a real move forward.  He didn't do that.  I've heard "lackadaiscial" and "too cool for school" thrown about in regard to how Woody approached things.  Maybe a fresh start somewhere with less pressure will adjust that attitude for him and he'll shine.  But that's different from what we know about Keihl and Jeremy IMO.

Exactly.

Maybe another way it could be said is that, at another program that didn't have as much inconsistency at QB as we have the last couple years, this would be viewed as what it is- a Woody problem. But due to a combination of bad luck and missed evals, Gus hasn't earned that benefit of the doubt. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You're not being a jerk. It's a valid concern shared by many.

We can hope that it really is a deal where his high school is crazy blessed with two legit P5 QBs in the same class, so the freak athlete of the two is used elsewhere in the best interests of the team. Even if that's the case, though, it's in Auburn's best interests for Joey to be getting all the reps at QB. Fingers crossed that happens his senior season. 

Yup I'm in wait-and-see mode. I just hope we don't set unrealistic expectations for him.

48 minutes ago, Tiger said:

My thing with Gatewood is that there is this "red flaggy" cloud hanging over his situation to me. I could be wrong as hell but if he flops it just seems like it's going to be way too easy to trace things back to him not being good enough to be a full time QB for his HS. Just like with JF3. After we saw him play the story on him is "well, of course -- he couldn't even be a starter at his JUCO and the guy he backed up didn't even get a scholarship offer anywhere." Does anyone know where the kid Gatewood was backing up ended up going to school?

I mean this is supposed to be an elite-level QB talent, you'd think the coach is putting the best QB on the field...

Not trying to be a jerk or down the kid but I'm treading lightly on JG until he gets on campus. I really hope he becomes the next statue in front of JHS but I'm glad we are looking to take 2 QBs.

Hopefully he turns out like Malik Willis is turning out.  Many forget Malik only played one year as QB in high school.  Only Virginia Tech offered him before Auburn came along.  So far, he has been a wonderful surprise.  Bottom line, you never know how he will turn out.  I have been impressed with our ability to find 3-star guys and have them perform at a 5-star level.  I have mainly seen this on the offensive lines. defensive lines, and running back for Auburn, but still.

I'm all the way back in October wondering why JF3 couldn't get mop-up time, or an opportunity to throw it around while he was in. For all I know, any of these "attritioned" players were the real answered to a squandered season. Can't say if Woody is a miss or not- but can't give the (current/former) staff the benifit of the doubt. Sorry about Woody, I like our current line-up pretty good, but really just hope Chip is the real answer here. Don't like to pile on the coaches, especially in May, but aside from Woody, looking back, the coaches own it. 

1 minute ago, jAUSon said:

I'm all the way back in October wondering why JF3 couldn't get mop-up time, or an opportunity to throw it around while he was in. For all I know, any of these "attritioned" players were the real answered to a squandered season. Can't say if Woody is a miss or not- but can't give the (current/former) staff the benifit of the doubt. Sorry about Woody, I like our current line-up pretty good, but really just hope Chip is the real answer here. Don't like to pile on the coaches, especially in May, but aside from Woody, looking back, the coaches own it. 

JF3 was a bad QB. The times he had his opportunity to showcase, he did a minimal job.

4 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

I'm all the way back in October wondering why JF3 couldn't get mop-up time, or an opportunity to throw it around while he was in.

And some of us are all the way back in August wondering why he was still in the QB rotation.

Gus spent the whole summer trying to give Sean's job to Franklin, and he just couldn't win it. 

Btw, didn't he get the whole first half of the Vandy game? 

12 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

I'm all the way back in October wondering why JF3 couldn't get mop-up time, or an opportunity to throw it around while he was in. 

Because he hadn't demonstrated in practice that he could be trusted throwing the ball.  He'd throw a laser right on the money one snap and throw it into the wrong area code the next.

We still fighting this battle ?:dunno:

On 5/8/2017 at 6:54 PM, Auburnfan91 said:

Didn't we redshirt Woody Barrett?

Yes and playing him would not have helped the team at all. There is no point playing Malik unless Jarrett & Sean get hurt.

Fresh thought:

Is Joey G getting some indiv/guru type QB coaching this summer?  I read last winter coach Lindsey got Gus to allow that now.  Surely Lindsey can set this up somewhere - somehow.  

This kind of development would help quell some of the concerns, since we all agree he is a project.  I know we all hope he is the 'second coming' to Cam, but come on.  

Surely we aren't in wait and see in January mode.  

I think with Chip here we will start to evaluate QBs better. I think Woody wasn't bad but evaluated incorrectly by Gus and Rhett. He didn't pan out at this level. Sad he's gone but let's recruit  another QB

43 minutes ago, WinningTradition said:

I think with Chip here we will start to evaluate QBs better. I think Woody wasn't bad but evaluated incorrectly by Gus and Rhett. He didn't pan out at this level. Sad he's gone but let's recruit  another QB

Explain how he was evaluated incorrectly by Gus and Rhett? Dude didn't have the mental makeup or fortitude to get it done. 

6 hours ago, Beaker said:

Fresh thought:

Is Joey G getting some indiv/guru type QB coaching this summer?  I read last winter coach Lindsey got Gus to allow that now.  Surely Lindsey can set this up somewhere - somehow.  

This kind of development would help quell some of the concerns, since we all agree he is a project.  I know we all hope he is the 'second coming' to Cam, but come on.  

Surely we aren't in wait and see in January mode.  

Doubt it. He's making the rounds on the camp circuit this Summer. The only thing that will or should quell our concerns to an extent about him as a QB in the future would be getting a full season at QB1 this year for the 1st time in his career & playing well.

I'm guessing the thinking on Gatewood is that, if he doesn't pan out at QB, he is still a good enough athlete that he can contribute at another position (TE or WR, maybe?).  Of course, that may have been the thinking with Woody Barrett as well. 

8 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

I'm guessing the thinking on Gatewood is that, if he doesn't pan out at QB, he is still a good enough athlete that he can contribute at another position (TE or WR, maybe?).  Of course, that may have been the thinking with Woody Barrett as well. 

I think that's exactly it.  I think they see enough potential (as do other schools) at the QB position to give him a legit shot, but he's so big and athletic, he can be a weapon elsewhere.  

8 hours ago, WinningTradition said:

He wasn't evaluated incorrectly.  Unless you have come up with some way to evaluate how someone will respond to being challenged and pushed to improve.  Woody has the tools.  I even think he has the aptitude.  What he has not demonstrated thus far is the commitment and work ethic.  That's on him, not Gus.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

I think that's exactly it.  I think they see enough potential (as do other schools) at the QB position to give him a legit shot, but he's so big and athletic, he can be a weapon elsewhere.  

I worry that after Cam we are looking for big athletic guys with "potential" who can become Cam II or something.   But don't see how we can let the schollys go on what seems like a pretty long shot kids ..most of whom, once they have been a QB somewhere, are not that excited about changing positions.   

Guess the jury is still out on JG as a future SEC QB....and worth waiting for results this year...and maybe even worth taking a chance if there is some fallback plan that he understands too.   JMO but we can't afford to turn "athletes" into QBs once they are at AU...and hope we can find a JS when things don't work out.

Hoping one of our 2018 class is at least one solidly proven HS QB. ....some names mentioned elsewhere...but wondering if that is the best we can do?

Just now, AU64 said:

I worry that after Cam we are looking for big athletic guys with "potential" who can become Cam II or something.   But don't see how we can let the schollys go on what seems like a pretty long shot kids ..most of whom, once they have been a QB somewhere, are not that excited about changing positions.   

Guess the jury is still out on JG as a future SEC QB....and worth waiting for results this year...and maybe even worth taking a chance if there is some fallback plan that he understands too.   JMO but we can't afford to turn "athletes" into QBs once they are at AU...and hope we can find a JS when things don't work out.

Hoping one of our 2018 class is at least one solidly proven HS QB. ....some names mentioned elsewhere...but wondering if that is the best we can do?

I think he's a bit more than just some long shot.  I don't think you get evaluated by every single recruiting service as a 4-star dual threat QB when you're a long shot.

Even not being the full time guy, he's got some decent looking stats:

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/joey-gatewood/MJdJCCQpEeS00gAmVebEWg/gendersport/football-stats.htm

I think we'd all like to see him be the full time guy as a senior to sort of solidify that.  And we are recruiting other QBs.  My understanding is that we plan to sign two this year.  And we'll likely take a look at the JUCO and graduate transfer ranks as well if needed.

14 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I think he's a bit more than just some long shot.  I don't think you get evaluated by every single recruiting service as a 4-star dual threat QB when you're a long shot.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/joey-gatewood/MJdJCCQpEeS00gAmVebEWg/gendersport/football-stats.htm

I think we'd all like to see him be the full time guy as a senior to sort of solidify that.  And we are recruiting other QBs.  My understanding is that we plan to sign two this year.  And we'll likely take a look at the JUCO and graduate transfer ranks as well if needed.

I probably understated it but seems that every HS QB is a long shot at making it in Power 5.  And I wonder if in grading the DT players whether they err on the side of their running skills and how often ...or how seldom the guys are pretty much equally good at both aspects of the game.  JMO but to be successful in the SEC, the DT guys have to be exceptional passers and just a threat as a runner...able to take the hits..and keep defenses honest.

Many of them look pretty good as passers in HS because the defenses are so poor.   Not to pick on JF3...but he was a DT I guess....certainly he can run and in a general sense, he's a passer too...but not to the level needed in the SEC.

21 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I'd not seen his part time QB numbers before; they provide plenty of optimism. I still agree he needs to be the starting QB as a senior, even if it means transferring to another school, in order to get the reps, but this really doesn't seem like the same kind of situation as it was with Franklin.

36 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Not that I disagree with your assessment of Gatewood, but wasn't Woody Barrett ranked as a 4-star dual threat QB by every single recruiting service?  (Of course, Woody's problem is not in his physical capabilities, but appears to be more related to attitude/motivation.)  I guess my point is that the recruiting service rankings don't always tell the whole story.

Archived