Woody Barrett Transferring

Auhud08

Just now, triangletiger said:

Not that I disagree with your assessment of Gatewood, but wasn't Woody Barrett ranked as a 4-star dual threat QB by every single recruiting service?  (Of course, Woody's problem is not in his physical capabilities, but appears to be more related to attitude/motivation.)  I guess my point is that the recruiting service rankings don't always tell the whole story.

You answered the question yourself.  The comparison to Woody isn't really a reason to knock on Gatewood because Woody chose not to work for the job at the level it requires in this league.  It's not a failure of evaluation.

My point isn't to say JG is a slam dunk QB superstar.  It's to say, no one thinks the kid is a long shot.  They see the tools, the physical talent and in his opportunities, some promising production.  He's not expected to be a starter as a freshman.  Depending on what happens his senior year, that could change.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

You answered the question yourself.  The comparison to Woody isn't really a reason to knock on Gatewood because Woody chose not to work for the job at the level it requires in this league.  It's not a failure of evaluation.

My point isn't to say JG is a slam dunk QB superstar.  It's to say, no one thinks the kid is a long shot.  They see the tools, the physical talent and in his opportunities, some promising production.  He's not expected to be a starter as a freshman.  Depending on what happens his senior year, that could change.

;) I guess I enjoy talking to myself with an audience.

I think Woody Barrett's most impressive feat while at Auburn was getting this board so riled up that it has produced 11 pages of discussion in the last two days!

1 hour ago, triangletiger said:

I'm guessing the thinking on Gatewood is that, if he doesn't pan out at QB, he is still a good enough athlete that he can contribute at another position (TE or WR, maybe?).  Of course, that may have been the thinking with Woody Barrett as well. 

I never considered WB to be the athlete that JG is TBH

1 hour ago, triangletiger said:

I'm guessing the thinking on Gatewood is that, if he doesn't pan out at QB, he is still a good enough athlete that he can contribute at another position (TE or WR, maybe?).  Of course, that may have been the thinking with Woody Barrett as well. 

Yes on Joey. No on Woody. Was only looked at as a QB by AU staff.

On 5/8/2017 at 11:08 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

JF3 could throw the ball better than Barrett. If that tells you anything. 

If the above statement is accurate, then I would say yeah they incorrectly evaluated Woody.  But, that isn't surprising because they also evaluated JF3 as a potential SEC starting QB.  Hopefully CL will do a better job in that area moving forward.

54 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

If the above statement is accurate, then I would say yeah they incorrectly evaluated Woody.  But, that isn't surprising because they also evaluated JF3 as a potential SEC starting QB.  Hopefully CL will do a better job in that area moving forward.

Again, for what feels like the 100th time, Woody didn't put in the work.  JF3 did, he just hit the limits of his abilities in that regard.  He was simply never going to be a consistent, accurate passer.  That one was a bad eval, but JF3 worked very hard to try and correct his flaws.  Woody did not.  That's not an incorrect eval, it's a poor work ethic.  There's a difference.

My parting shot:

I am so happy Coach Lindsey is here.   We have not developed or missed or the player didn't work or missed on the eval of so many QBs over the past 4-5 yrs.   I know most of the reasons fit into the above categories and there is plenty of responsibility to go around.   Just saying, I am happy we have someone new recruiting, evaluating and developing QBs.

War Eagle!  

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

Again, for what feels like the 100th time, Woody didn't put in the work.  JF3 did, he just hit the limits of his abilities in that regard.  He was simply never going to be a consistent, accurate passer.  That one was a bad eval, but JF3 worked very hard to try and correct his flaws.  Woody did not.  That's not an incorrect eval, it's a poor work ethic.  There's a difference.

Titan, you have made a very valid point here and I totally agree. However, you just need to realize and remind yourself that there are a few rah rah fans on this site who do not know much about football. They just see that a 4 star qb is transferring out, hit the panic button, and assume that it is a coach or coaches fault for not giving him a fair chance to be the starting or back qb. It could not possibly be the players fault. I would not post it for the 101st time, but save my strength for another topic.

On 5/9/2017 at 0:26 PM, TitanTiger said:

I'd say it's premature to say he dropped the ball on Barrett.  Barrett's main issue is one of work ethic and attitude, something you don't necessarily know until the guy has the opportunity to step up.  They tried to give Woody a chance to show what he was made of last year when they threw a lot at him to see if he could get in the mix last season.  He wasn't ready and while that was ok since he was a true freshman, I think they expected him to get after it this offseason and spring practice and make a real move forward.  He didn't do that.  I've heard "lackadaiscial" and "too cool for school" thrown about in regard to how Woody approached things.  Maybe a fresh start somewhere with less pressure will adjust that attitude for him and he'll shine.  But that's different from what we know about Keihl and Jeremy IMO.

This is exactly his attitude. 

6 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

Titan, you have made a very valid point here and I totally agree. However, you just need to realize and remind yourself that there are a few rah rah fans on this site who do not know much about football. They just see that a 4 star qb is transferring out, hit the panic button, and assume that it is a coach or coaches fault for not giving him a fair chance to be the starting or back qb. It could not possibly be the players fault. I would not post it for the 101st time, but save my strength for another topic.

Thanks for the expertise coach.:laugh:

On 5/8/2017 at 1:01 PM, Tiger said:

Unrelated to this specific SW convo, as a whole how do you differentiate between "excuses" and "reasons"? Where is the line drawn between the 2?

It's extremely simple.

The "reasons" White hasn't played in those specific games are because of injuries.

The "excuses" (always incorrectly intertwined with those "reasons") are from the masses here as to why he underwhelmed when he wasn't injured in those specific games.

In other words, he has started healthy 15 games in his career. In those 15 games, he has thrown for 9 TDs & 6 INTs.

The masses here blame those paultry numbers on injuries and the multi-rotation Clemson game.

Let's subtract the multi-rotation Clemson game...that leaves him with 9 TDs & 5 INTs.

Against all other opponents in those same 15 games, he's 4 TDs & 5 INTs.

Let's even subtract the first game he started due to youth. That leaves him with 4 TDs & 4 INTs.

That's TEN other games started healthy with 4 TDs and 4 INTs.

It's THAT cut and dry. An average of 0.4 TDs per game. AND a turnover during the SAME span.

But DON'T let it fool the masses on this forum. ALL those numbers were because of:

A: Youth

B: Injuries

and/or

C: The multi-rotation Clemson game

But THIS is the guy to lead us to a SEC/NC???

By all means...let the masses on this forum fabricate the FACTS otherwise.

So hypothetically, if a QB throws a pass and it hits a receiver in the chest, bounces in the air, and is subsequently intercepted... whose at fault?

13 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Thanks for the expertise coach.:laugh:

Anytime my friend.

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

So hypothetically, if a QB throws a pass and it hits a receiver in the chest, bounces in the air, and is subsequently intercepted whose at fault?

It depends on who you hate more, the QB or the coach...

Just now, Tiger Refuge said:

It depends on who you hate more, the QB or the coach...

objectivity.jpg

By the end of his 2nd year, Jason Campbell had started 20 games and played in 22. He had 15 touchdowns to 9 interceptions. We probably should have known then that he'd never amount to anything.

8 hours ago, VipersStrike1 said:

It's extremely simple.

The "reasons" White hasn't played in those specific games are because of injuries.

The "excuses" (always incorrectly intertwined with those "reasons") are from the masses here as to why he underwhelmed when he wasn't injured in those specific games.

In other words, he has started healthy 15 games in his career. In those 15 games, he has thrown for 9 TDs & 6 INTs.

The masses here blame those paultry numbers on injuries and the multi-rotation Clemson game.

Let's subtract the multi-rotation Clemson game...that leaves him with 9 TDs & 5 INTs.

Against all other opponents in those same 15 games, he's 4 TDs & 5 INTs.

Let's even subtract the first game he started due to youth. That leaves him with 4 TDs & 4 INTs.

That's TEN other games started healthy with 4 TDs and 4 INTs.

It's THAT cut and dry. An average of 0.4 TDs per game. AND a turnover during the SAME span.

But DON'T let it fool the masses on this forum. ALL those numbers were because of:

A: Youth

B: Injuries

and/or

C: The multi-rotation Clemson game

But THIS is the guy to lead us to a SEC/NC???

By all means...let the masses on this forum fabricate the FACTS otherwise.

I actually had asked the difference between excuses and reasons outside of the SW bubble. This particular convo has been rehashed over and over again so I was actually wondering how you differentiate between excuses and reasons in general.

Nobody is saying his stats are anything special. I think people also look beyond the stats. Either way this conversation is breathing it's last breath because in about 4 months it will most likely be the Jarrett Stidham show (if he can prove to be durable) and we will have a solid backup on the team for the first time in forever

On 5/10/2017 at 8:37 AM, TitanTiger said:

Somewhat surprisingly, even to myself, I grow more sanguine about this coming year as the off-season progresses.

As to the deeper future:

BaNWqaO.jpg

Alabama just offered Joey Gatewood, so if he is a bust, then Saban cannot judge QB talent like Gus can't.

41 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Alabama just offered Joey Gatewood, so if he is a bust, then Saban cannot judge QB talent like Gus can't.

Interesting that Gatewood is getting so many offers from so many big schools. I would assume they are offering him based upon is Cam-like elite potential.

23 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

Interesting that Gatewood is getting so many offers from so many big schools. I would assume they are offering him based upon is Cam-like elite potential.

He's still a hell of a prospect. It's just that the original narrative was "Cam 2.0"- which, as has been discussed elsewhere, is a ridiculous thing to say about anyone- and then it became "Oh, he's not starting at his high school, kid is a bum", because people blow everything out of proportion, good or bad. 

And Thai, that's not entirely a response to your post. That's just my reaction to the twists and turns of the broader Gatewood discussion going back a year or more now. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

He's still a hell of a prospect. It's just that the original narrative was "Cam 2.0"- which, as has been discussed elsewhere, is a ridiculous thing to say about anyone- and then it became "Oh, he's not starting at his high school, kid is a bum", because people blow everything out of proportion, good or bad. 

And Thai, that's not entirely a response to your post. That's just my reaction to the twists and turns of the broader Gatewood discussion going back a year or more now. 

I understand. I think my post wasn't stating that he will be Cam Newton. I was merely trying to state that he has ENORMOUS potential to be an elite player and there is no denying that many of his physical attributes are very similar to the way Cam Newton played. I see a lot of potential Cam and Dak Prescott in him. If he lives up to his potential (I have no idea if he will or not), I see him doing a lot of power runs down the middle like Cam and Dak did.

On another note, I wouldn't be entirely shocked if Saban offered him knowing that he has been a long time Auburn commit. It seems like every year Bama tries to take one or two players Auburn covets just to show them up. Last year that player was Markail Benton. I would be surprised if Benton ever sees any playing time at Bama.

Archived