Woody Barrett Transferring

Auhud08

3 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

I understand. I think my post wasn't stating that he will be Cam Newton. I was merely trying to state that he has ENORMOUS potential to be an elite player and there is no denying that many of his physical attributes are very similar to the way Cam Newton played. I see a lot of potential Cam and Dak Prescott in him. If he lives up to his potential (I have no idea if he will or not), I see him doing a lot of power runs down the middle like Cam and Dak did.

:thumbsup:

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One more note - unlike many people - I am not on the Gatewood hype train yet. At this point he is more likely to be a bust than a success. I would  rather see us go all in for Fields.

I say this because given all of the "elite" QBs who haven't turned out so well (Jeremy Johnson, Woody Barrett, even Sean White to a degree) I guess I would rather us recruit players who have had more time at QB and more proven on the high school level so maybe I am a bit gun shy when it comes to QB recruiting.

On 5/9/2017 at 9:18 AM, ToomersStreet said:

Well he dropped the ball on Barrett, JF3, Tyler Queen, Keil Frazier, and Jeremy Johnson (although I am interested to see how his tryout with the Giants goes this month).

He dropped the ball on Franklin. There is no way to wrap your head around that one.  Otherwise, however...

Barrett - Attitude, the physical tools were there
Queen - Injuries, no one will ever know how good he could have been
Frazier - Destroyed by Loeffler and on O-Line... again, no one will know how good he could have been if Gus coached him as a starter
Johnson - Mental Issues, this has been discussed ad nauseam 

On 5/9/2017 at 11:18 AM, DAG said:

The only silver lining with Gatewood is he does seem to be a legit athlete . By that , I mean he seems capable of absolutely impacting the game in a variety of ways. Unlike the speedsters who we typically go after who make slim to none impact.

There is another silver lining... he's a heck of a recruiter.  Even if he ends up at tight end or something like that, he's likely to bring in 3 or 4 other big names with him.

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

Alabama just offered Joey Gatewood, so if he is a bust, then Saban cannot judge QB talent like Gus can't.

bammer offered him only to keep him from coming to auburn. keep auburn thin at qb

25 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

He dropped the ball on Franklin. There is no way to wrap your head around that one.  Otherwise, however...

Frazier - Destroyed by Loeffler and on O-Line... again, no one will know how good he could have been if Gus coached him as a starter

I'd like if I had one to give.

WDE

52 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Johnson had bad fundamentals that led to his loss of confidence against LSU

3 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Against LSU? Did you see any of the 3 picks against Louisville? Or the two against JSU? He just had no idea where he should throw throw the football. Whatever he was aiming at, he probably would have hit it if not for the defender standing in the way. 

1 hour ago, thaitopher said:

One more note - unlike many people - I am not on the Gatewood hype train yet. At this point he is more likely to be a bust than a success. I would  rather see us go all in for Fields.

I say this because given all of the "elite" QBs who haven't turned out so well (Jeremy Johnson, Woody Barrett, even Sean White to a degree) I guess I would rather us recruit players who have had more time at QB and more proven on the high school level so maybe I am a bit gun shy when it comes to QB recruiting.

He may very well end up as a receiver, so still worth having.  QB's generally have good hands that can cross-over like Burns did in 2010.  Right now, Gatewood is the #1 Athlete, and #94 prospect in the country.  So if we still go after one more QB for the class, we will be set depth-wise if Gatewood does better as a receiver.

2 hours ago, thaitopher said:

Besides the bust part....I pretty much agree. Although now that we have Chip it makes me feel a little better if Joey is the only QB we land. I'm not looking at Chip as a miracle QB coach that turns QBs into 1st round picks but my thought process is that he certainly is that he should be a significant improvement in QB coaching compared to Gus/Rhett. Joey just seems like a big gamble at QB so i def. want a 2nd QB in this class. We were/are really high on Joey and he's been recruiting for us so i wouldn't expect for us to back off of him but a 2nd QB should certainly be a priority IMO.

4 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

Maybe to a certain extent but his number one problem was reading defenses

9 hours ago, Tiger said:

I actually had asked the difference between excuses and reasons outside of the SW bubble. This particular convo has been rehashed over and over again so I was actually wondering how you differentiate between excuses and reasons in general.

Nobody is saying his stats are anything special. I think people also look beyond the stats. Either way this conversation is breathing it's last breath because in about 4 months it will most likely be the Jarrett Stidham show (if he can prove to be durable) and we will have a solid backup on the team for the first time in forever

And I gave an accurate explanation of the stark contrast between the two. 

The White convo gets rehashed because his backers refuse to look at his TD/INT numbers when he's started healthy. Instead, they blame those numbers on injuries, youth and the Clemson gameplan.

Beyond the stats, it boils down to Ws & Ls. Regardless of circumstances, he's 9-6 as a starter when starting healthy. 

I'm not convinced this conversation has breathed its last breath because if Stidham is one and done, I'll be rooting for Willis to win the job next season.

5 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Good list....Folks can pick on Gus if you want...but it's a joke to imply that Saban is superior at evaluating QB talent....he's been through three times as many 4* and 5* QBs as we've ever had on campus.

45 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Good list....Folks can pick on Gus if you want...but it's a joke to imply that Saban is superior at evaluating QB talent....he's been through three times as many 4* and 5* QBs as we've ever had on campus.

Is someone saying Saban is superior at evaluating QB talent?  Totally different system where he doesn't need a Cam/Nick to succeed.  He just takes 2 or so 4 to 5 star guys every year and let's them fight it out.  And, basically their job is to not crap the bed.  Make a play once in awhile and they'll do pretty well.

So.... After 12 pages is Woody still transferring? :dunno:

Stidham's still at Auburn right?:beer2:

7 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Loeffler did not destroy KF, that is one of the biggest BS excuses from Auburn fans.  He had terrible fundamentals, processed things to slow. You were not gonna meet a nicer person than KF during his time on the team, he just never adjusted to the speed of the game and reading defenses.  Gus changed his position  for a reason, he wasn't a SEC QB, period.

10 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Loeffler did not destroy KF, that is one of the biggest BS excuses from Auburn fans.  He had terrible fundamentals, processed things to slow. You were not gonna meet a nicer person than KF during his time on the team, he just never adjusted to the speed of the game and reading defenses.  Gus changed his position  for a reason, he wasn't a SEC QB, period.

This is, unfortunately, true and the bottom line is he came in ranked high playing against terrible competition at a smaller private school in Arkansas. Arkansas talent pool is generally bad, but it is even worst once you get to the lower levels. I saw this when they absolutely got destroyed by Euless Trinity. And to add to this Gus recruited this kid since he was an 8th grader at west fork , Not to mention Gus had him in 2011 and when he returned, he opted to bring in NM, a guy who had zero D1 experience at QB. It is not like Gus didn't have ample opportunity to evaluate him.

9 hours ago, auburnphan said:

KF was the first "red flag" that popped up concerning CGM QB evaluation of a HS QB.  Gus has yet to have a hit from the HS ranks.  

16 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Against LSU? Did you see any of the 3 picks against Louisville? Or the two against JSU? He just had no idea where he should throw throw the football. Whatever he was aiming at, he probably would have hit it if not for the defender standing in the way. 

Um...that was kind of my point.  Poor fundamentals from throwing off the wrong foot, not checking defenders, staring down receivers and not knowing how to read zone coverage led to five interceptions in the first two games.  From there his confidence tanked and he had the melt down against LSU.

10 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Loeffler didn't destroy him, but KF was another example of a young guy being asked to lead a crap Auburn team with the same quality of QB coaching that just necessitated a personnel (Lindsey) and philosophical (outside QB coaches) change.

Kodi, Kiehl, Jeremy and Woody are all guys who were highly rated out of high school but "just weren't SEC QBs". It's a little odd. Add in that Gus did everything he could to avoid building an offense around Sean White, to include the John Franklin experiment... it  doesn't necessarily mean that any of those guys would have succeeded under different circumstances, but I'm going to leave it open as a possibility in my mind. 

6 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Um...that was kind of my point.  Poor fundamentals from throwing off the wrong foot, not checking defenders, staring down receivers and not knowing how to read zone coverage led to five interceptions in the first two games.  From there his confidence tanked and he had the melt down against LSU.

My point is that happened in the first quarter of the first game. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

My point is that happened in the first quarter of the first game. 

Fair enough.  Agree to disagree.  But yeah there was/is a problem with our QB's since someone came to town.

Just now, ToomersStreet said:

Fair enough.  Agree to disagree.  But yeah there was/is a problem with our QB's since someone came to town.

Haha, yeah, we agree on that for sure.

Message boards- here to help us lose the forest for the trees since the dawn of the internet. 

Archived