Woody Barrett Transferring

Auhud08

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

I will agree Jerod Evans would have been better than JF3 last year.  But Jerod Evans wasn't all-world either, as evidenced by the fact that he went undrafted.  You can't tell me 32 clubs in a QB-driven league all missed something special about Jerod.  They see issues there too.

Jerod Evans might not have been drafted, but he was very good for Virginia Tech. We didn't need an all world QB last year. There are quite a few quality college QBs who don't get drafted.  We had one in 2013. 

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will agree Jerod Evans would have been better than JF3 last year.  But Jerod Evans wasn't all-world either, as evidenced by the fact that he went undrafted.  You can't tell me 32 clubs in a QB-driven league all missed something special about Jerod.  They see issues there too.

Dude had 4400 all purpose yards and 41 all purpose touchdowns to 8 interceptions. 63.5% completion rate. That's borderline all-world. 

Just now, DAG said:

Jerod Evans might not have been drafted, but he was very good for Virginia Tech. We didn't need an all world QB last year. There are quite a few quality college QBs who don't get drafted.  We had one in 2013. 

As I said, he would have been better.  I'm not sure everyone was certain of that before they actually played some D-1 football though.  I'm not sure it was the dead obvious thing it looked like on the backend when they were making that decision.  And Jerod had some mechanics issues as well.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Barrett was behind the walk-on QB from Mobile. Not a huge lost. 

You taking about Devin Adams?

Just now, McLoofus said:

Dude had 4400 all purpose yards and 41 all purpose touchdowns to 8 interceptions. 63.5% completion rate. That's borderline all-world. 

Hindsight and all.  I would have picked him over JF3 too, but I'm not sure it was quite that stark a difference between them before the season played out.

Better recruit somebody regardless at the end of 2017 going into 2018 this is what we will look at:

JS - NFL or 2nd year as starter

SW - graduate transfer (yup I am calling it)

MW - Starter (if JS goes NFL) or #2 

DA - graduates

As I said, he would have been better.  I'm not sure everyone was certain of that before they actually played some D-1 football though.  I'm not sure it was the dead obvious thing it looked like on the backend when they were making that decision.  And Jerod had some mechanics issues as well.

Well, he was getting offers from other schools to play quarterback. That was a pretty good tip that Gus might've heeded. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Well, he was getting offers from other schools to play quarterback. That was a pretty good tip that Gus might've heeded. 

True.

I think he and Rhett saw that blazing speed and saw a faster version of Nick Marshall.  They thought some of his accuracy issues were easily fixable.  Turned out not to be the case.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

I am sorry. I agree with your premise, but there is no way anyone can even think JF3 was in Jerod Evans ball field in terms of QB ability. Yes, it would have been a risk as most JUCO QBs are.

Btw, @TitanTiger, I agree with your main point. I don't consider them all to be failed evaluations. A lot of bad luck involved. Franklin is the only head scratcher of the bunch for me.

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Did we not go after Webb pretty hard? I don't remember, really. 

Have to agree with DAG about Evans. That we went after Franklin instead... nobody understands it.

But that decision had already been made when we were going after Webb, who just got drafted in the 3rd round. He made the right decision for himself, no doubt about that. 

Really curious about that bit about Fields, too. 

I might be wrong, but I believe E said something along the lines that Auburn stopped pursuing him.

Just now, thaitopher said:

I might be wrong, but I believe E said something along the lines that Auburn stopped pursuing him.

Sounds like @Tiger is backing you up on that. Between you and him, the burden of proof has been satisfied. 

19 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Better recruit somebody regardless at the end of 2017 going into 2018 this is what we will look at:

DA - graduates

White isn't going anywhere. 

28 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Just for comparison's sake, let's look at how many top rated QBs Alabama has recruited since Saban got there (24/7 Composite ratings):

Star Jackson (4-star)
AJ McCarron (4-star)
Philip Sims (5-star)
Cooper Bateman (4-star)
David Cornwell (4-star)
Blake Barnett (5-star)
Jalen Hurts (4-star)

He also signed four 3-star kids who never played.  He got by after AJ left because Blake Sims (who was really recruited as an athlete) managed to play above expectations as a senior, and they got a graduate transfer in Jake Coker from FSU.

Good coaches, good QB developers who have eyes for talent, miss on HS quarterbacks All. The. Time.  Alabama was able to weather some of that because they had a tremendously talented surrounding cast, especially on defense.  And they luckily inherited a decent starter in McElroy who allowed AJ to develop, and then AJ was a very good QB who stayed through his senior year.  And most knowledgeable Bama fans will tell you Hurts was nothing special at QB this year, he just made some plays with his feet and they had an outstanding defense again.  Some think he might not hold on to the starting job this year if he doesn't make significant strides in the passing game.

I get the the frustration with Gus/Rhett sometimes, but some of the criticism doesn't hold water to me.  It's measuring them by a criteria that you apparently apply ONLY to them and no one else in college football.

This is what saves Bama from not having to hit a homerun with QBs who may not have panned out. It's pretty much a guarantee they'll have a top 5 defense each year. Unfortunately we don't have that luxury each year. They just need a QB who's not going to turn the ball over and make smart decisions. But i certainly agree that many schools don't hit the mark when it comes to QB evaluation. There's missing the mark which many do but then there is completely missing the mark. If we had seen a small amount of improvement from some of the QBs Gus/Rhett have brought in, then i wouldn't have an issue but it seems like they've regressed significantly under their coaching. 

I don't understand how this turned into a thread bashing Gus.  We all have been saying Woody Barrett was going to transfer (including myself).  It was all but guaranteed.  Now everyone is surprised he left and going after Gus because he left. As everyone has alluded to, Woody's problem was not talent, it was his drive and leadership.  That is hard to evaluate by looking at tape and attending games.  Gus does not see what goes on behind the scenes.  With Woody being so talented, he most likely did not need to over-exert himself in high school and know what is like to have to give it your all to win a game.  This is not on Gus, or every other Power Five school to offer him.  Sometimes it just does not work out.

If Gus just went by stars, Sammie Coats would not have been offered.  He was a 3-star.  Peyton Barber was also a 3-star along with Rudy Ford.  Nick Marshall, our savior in 2013 was... a 3 star.  On the defensive side, Thomas Daniel was only offered by Minnesota to play and was the lowest ranked player in our signing class.  First major game he played, 2 picks against Alabama.

I feel good about who we have, and who is coming.  Many high profile QB's either committed or we are going after, including Bo Nix, an Auburn legacy.  Gus is doing what he needs to for this year, and we need to start getting behind him for 2017.  I would rather have the scholarship spot open for a guy that wants to be at Auburn and can improve our team.  Woody, unfortunately because of his drive, was not helping our team get better.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Yes. 

According to ESPN recruiting he had offers from AL, ND, TN, OK, Ole Miss and others so it looks as a lot of people "missed" on their evaluation of him.

34 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

DA - graduates

I agree about SW being a graduate transfer especially if Stidham comes back. MW if he continues to progress should be #2. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

We played Jeremy Johnson, John Franklin and half a Sean White over Barrett last year.

No. We played a whole Sean White last year. And the year before. STOP making excuses for him.

10 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

No. We played a whole Sean White last year. And the year before. STOP making excuses for him.

Unrelated to this specific SW convo, as a whole how do you differentiate between "excuses" and "reasons"? Where is the line drawn between the 2?

6 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

For part of the year.  He got hurt vs Ole Miss and wasn't going to play vs Vanderbilt the following week due to an injury but had to come in when JF3 was mediocre.  He sat out vs Alabama A&M to heal up and got reinjured early against Georgia.  Didn't play vs Alabama.  Got hurt fairly early in the bowl game against OU.  That's 6 out of 13 games affected by Sean being injured.

3 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Unrelated to this specific SW convo, as a whole how do you differentiate between "excuses" and "reasons"? Where is the line drawn between the 2?

Simple.  Excuses are things that don't line up with his own opinions.  Reasons are things that do.

Archived