Woody Barrett Transferring

Auhud08

24 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

Nice article on this subject:  link

We def. need two QBs in this class; two in every class if we believe they best fit us. 

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

We def. need two QBs in this class; two in every class if we believe they best fit us. 

No team is going to sign two QBs every class.  Unlike DL or WR, you play one guy.  And you hope you hit on someone that is your starter for 2-3 years.  In four years time you'd have 8 QBs on the roster before attrition began.  Most teams sign a QB a year and some years sign two.  That's the norm.  We need to sign two this year.  Then depending on what Stidham does after this season, maybe sign another two.  Then go back to one a year.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

No team is going to sign two QBs every class.  Unlike DL or WR, you play one guy.  And you hope you hit on someone that is your starter for 2-3 years.  In four years time you'd have 8 QBs on the roster before attrition began.  Most teams sign a QB a year and some years sign two.  That's the norm.  We need to sign two this year.  Then depending on what Stidham does after this season, maybe sign another two.  Then go back to one a year.

I differ. Unless we learn to develop the QBs we do sign...if we can sign two...sign them.

Just now, WarEagle1983 said:

I differ. Unless we learn to develop the QBs we do sign...if we can sign two...sign them.

I'm just telling you, no college football team operates that way.  You might have one or two classes where a team does that, but most years they'll add one.  Auburn is not going to be any different.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

I'm just telling you, no college football team operates that way.  You might have one or two classes where a team does that, but most years they'll add one.  Auburn is not going to be any different.

Again...agree to disagree. If we start developing them then fine. Until then if they want to come we need them.

11 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Again...agree to disagree. If we start developing them then fine. Until then if they want to come we need them.

JMO but no way we can afford the attrition at that rate...at the end of year 4 and if you have signed 8 kids, you can pretty well count on 6 of them being gone by year 5.....   It is a virtual certainty... no 4* or 5* waits three years in hopes that he will start.

And most of the kids are smart enough to recognize when they have no shot and unless they are like JF3 on his 3rd school, they will be off to a place where their odds of playing are much higher. ..knowing that if the school signs a hotshot along the way...like Woody's case for example....once Stidham was signed and Willis was looking good...Woody was toast.

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JMO but no way we can afford the attrition at that rate...at the end of year 4 and if you have signed 8 kids, you can pretty well count on 6 of them being gone by year 5.....   It is a virtual certainty... no 4* or 5* waits three years in hopes that he will start.

And most of the kids are smart enough to recognize when they have no shot and unless they are like JF3 on his 3rd school, they will be off to a place where their odds of playing are much higher. ..knowing that if the school signs a hotshot along the way...like Woody's case for example....once Stidham was signed and Willis was looking good...Woody was toast.

I'm not saying we need to sign 2 4* or 5* QBs in each class. But when Gus came to AU he was quoted as saying he wanted 2 QBs in each class. And he has for the most part whether it's been a combination of transfer or juco or recruiting QBs. That second guy can be an under the radar so to speak 3* QB. But until this staff has shown they can develop some of the QBs they've recruited they need to bring in two. I fully understand that yes no 4* or 5* wants to be lumped in with 6 or 8 other QB 4* or 5* QBs. I'm not asking for 2 5* QBs. This is where evaluation and development comes into play and ours have been below average. Once that's figured out then fine..1 a year. If Gus is around i'd like to see at least the next 2 classes with 2 QBs. If CCL turns out to do well with development and evaluation at QB then taking one is fine.

3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Yes. 

How can you say that it was a poor eval by Malzahn or LAshlee?  He may have been a quality QB in time...we don't know.  

But until you get these recruits in..and see how they learn a NEW college offense, how they grasp the execution of that offense, then except in rare instances..coaches and certainly us fans have no way of knowing if they succeed on the field.

It looked like Willis definitely had passed him even in the spring. It would have been interesting to see if LAshlee would have done the same thing as Lindsey.

I am glad we didn't have to find out...lol.

Why didn't Malzahn play Woody more then 2 snaps in the A-Day game and the heck is Woody leaving? I hope Stidham doesn't hurt at all this. Cause he does, we're in trouble. I thought Woody would be a strong backup for Jarrett.

54 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Maybe but Woody has also messed himself up in the focus & effort department. When AU took his commitment he was on pace to graduate early & putting effort in to things. As it turns out though he ended up having to go to Summer school to get to AU last Fall so his effort & focus went way down & appears to have mostly stayed that way.

In reference to the poor eval by Gus and Rhett, I don't think anyone thought woody was a good passer in anyway other than "if we can coach him into a decent passer, he could be really good." At least that's what I recall from his recruitment, in addition to him winding up taking forever to get here.

1 minute ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I'm not saying we need to sign 2 4* or 5* QBs in each class. But when Gus came to AU he was quoted as saying he wanted 2 QBs in each class. And he has for the most part whether it's been a combination of transfer or juco or recruiting QBs. That second guy can be an under the radar so to speak 3* QB. But until this staff has shown they can develop some of the QBs they've recruited they need to bring in two. I fully understand that yes no 4* or 5* wants to be lumped in with 6 or 8 other QB 4* or 5* QBs. I'm not asking for 2 5* QBs. This is where evaluation and development comes into play and ours have been below average. Once that's figured out then fine..1 a year. If Gus is around i'd like to see at least the next 2 classes with 2 QBs. If CCL turns out to do well with development and evaluation at QB then taking one is fine.

Problem is...in my view, is that Gus has signed QBs who had little chance of playing at the SEC level...Jason Smith, JF3 and there are more I can't recall who are technically QBs and end up at WR or DB or something.  Just thinking that our coaches have over-estimated what they can do with some of these guys....or got caught up in a transition of college football where almost every successful team lives and dies by its QB and the power running game is not enough.   Even NS has discovered that in the past couple years.

So while on paper it might look like we have good numbers at the QB position, in reality we don't have it.     JMO but that strategy has hurt us at two positions...QB and WR.    It would be good if your system could work for us...but I don't see that working much anywhere.  I'm happy to see us signing "professional' WRs the past couple years instead of converting HS QBs to the role.  Back to west Vance....they can sign an army of top HS QBs .....and still have the occasion where they end up with a transfer running the show. .

By Woody leaving, it sounds like Malzahn might have told Woody that he's going with Sean #2 and JF-III as #3 no matter what.

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

I'm trying to figure out what he's talking about.

Thats easy.  Its either he told you so or SW sucks.  Its really sad.

I think that 

1 minute ago, auburn4ever said:

By Woody leaving, it sounds like Malzahn might have told Woody that he's going with Sean #2 and JF-III as #3 no matter what.

Not JFIII as #3, but WIllis the Freshman as #3. JF3 has been resigned to be a WR.

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Problem is...in my view, is that Gus has signed QBs who had little chance of playing at the SEC level...Jason Smith, JF3 and there are more I can't recall who are technically QBs and end up at WR or DB or something.  Just thinking that our coaches have over-estimated what they can do with some of these guys....or got caught up in a transition of college football where almost every successful team lives and dies by its QB and the power running game is not enough.   Even NS has discovered that in the past couple years.

So while on paper it might look like we have good numbers at the QB position, in reality we don't have it.     JMO but that strategy has hurt us at two positions...QB and WR.    It would be good if your system could work for us...but I don't see that working much anywhere.  I'm happy to see us signing "professional' WRs the past couple years instead of converting HS QBs to the role.  Back to west Vance....they can sign an army of top HS QBs .....and still have the occasion where they end up with a transfer running the show. .

Certainly agree with you there; which has caused us to play catch up in the QB department. I wouldn't want us to take a second QB unless we feel they're a quality QB; not to just convert them to another position. Goes back to evaluation. Hopefully having CCL now resolves that now. Like Woody...i'm not really sold on Gatewood at this point as many seem to be. 

1 minute ago, auburn4ever said:

What? Just a heads up, JF3 is now a receiver...

Just now, steeleagle said:

I think that 

Not JFIII as #3, but WIllis the Freshman as #3. JF3 has been resigned to be a WR.

Don't really need a #3 unless the starter is injured...with JS and SW still having one or two years left after this, no point in playing a 3rd guy IMO.

16 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

But until you get these recruits in..and see how they learn a NEW college offense, how they grasp the execution of that offense, then except in rare instances..coaches and certainly us fans have no way of knowing if they succeed on the field.

There's also all the off-the-field stuff. Many of these guys don't adjust well to college, or from being away from home, or the classroom, or whatever. Lots of talk that that's been the issue with Woody more than anything talent-related, or at least that the talent-related stuff is a result of off the field attitudes and habits. Who knows, maybe that's just nicer than saying he sucks, but I don't think that's it.

Dyer is an interesting example. Was he a missed eval talent-wise? Absolutely not. He was every bit the 5* RB he was supposed to be. Was he a missed eval personality-wise? He was great at first, and then he eventually fell apart, as a lot of kids on that team did. Maybe he could have continued to thrive under the right circumstances. Doesn't matter, but it's an example of a guy who was properly evaluated and then things... changed. IMO, anyway. 

Sorry... I agree with you... is what I meant to say. 

2 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

JF3? 

Yeah, we're now down to 3 scholly QB's and we saw last year that 2 of them doesn't have the strong arms to throw the deep ball. 

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I really think that Lashlee is more at fault for not recruiting top level QBs. Gus wanted someone to fit his offense, but LAshlee is the one to get him committed since he would have been his QB coach and most of the QB responsibility.

I also think that Malzahn and Lashlee had problems get the top level QBs regardless, unless they were a transfer. 

But I do think now Lindsey will do a better job of recruiting QBs, along with the change in offense.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Don't really need a #3 unless the starter is injured...with JS and SW still having one or two years left after this, no point in playing a 3rd guy IMO.

yes, we will need a #3 if Stidham goes down cause SW will certainly hurt something when he goes in to sub...lol..

Just now, steeleagle said:

I really think that Lashlee is more at fault for not recruiting top level QBs. Gus wanted someone to fit his offense, but LAshlee is the one to get him committed since he would have been his QB coach and most of the QB responsibility.

I also think that Malzahn and Lashlee had problems get the top level QBs regardless, unless they were a transfer. 

But I do think now Lindsey will do a better job of recruiting QBs, along with the change in offense.

I don't think there was anything about Gus's offense to really attract a top QB....whoever the QB was  ...he was going to be handing ball to a RB about 70% of the time and throwing short outs the rest of the time.   Not blaming Lash....he could only offer what Gus was selling...JMO

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Actually, Stidham and Gatewood both committed to Lashlee. 

Archived