Woody Barrett Transferring

Auhud08

38 minutes ago, AU64 said:

That's a good thing...but I'm wondering if he is being considered our QB "get" this year....before he's even established himself in HS....or do we mess around with him a couple seasons and then try to find another place where his athleticism is beneficial ?

Just thinking that if Stidham or While have a big year and Lindesy's offense is "showy" might that attract other QB possibilities from guys who have established their QB bonifides to a greater extent ?.

We are currently pursuing high schools QBs for this class who fit the description in your second question. 

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something smells fishy. There's no reason why Woody to just pack up and leave when most people thought he could beat out Sean to be Auburn's 2nd string QB. There's a lot more to this story.

4 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Something smells fishy. There's no reason why Woody to just pack up and leave when most people thought he could beat out Sean to be Auburn's 2nd string QB. There's a lot more to this story.

No one with half a brain ever thought that. Quit already.

33 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Dude, he is NOT good. Let it go.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Ummm. This guy is 3rd string now although I'm hoping we can redshirt him...

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

Not one person on God's green earth actually thought this.

I have no idea (or care to look it up) about the depth at Penn St but didn't we just offer their HS commit?  I think we are, nah, I am sure we are offering other top prospects.  

If I am a top prospect (committed or not), I tap the brakes and thoroughly reconsider everything.  

JS - may be one and done.

SW - Nice, quite limited, but serviceable for a few games until he loses his mind & takes on a LB

A true freshman

This is our depth chart on what some are predicting a 10 win team, with great depth everywhere 'cept Safety.  yeah, even a dummy would tap the brakes and look hard at Auburn.  4-5  top 10 recruiting classes.  Pull the chalk blocks, fire up the Cessna, Coach Lindsey!

5 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

For part of the year.  He got hurt vs Ole Miss and wasn't going to play vs Vanderbilt the following week due to an injury but had to come in when JF3 was mediocre.  He sat out vs Alabama A&M to heal up and got reinjured early against Georgia.  Didn't play vs Alabama.  Got hurt fairly early in the bowl game against OU.  That's 6 out of 13 games affected by Sean being injured.

Actually was still hurt when he started against dawg . He should not have played at all

2 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Actually was still hurt when he started against dawg . He should not have played at all

I love Sean's grit.  Can't replace that grit, period.  

But I can't overlook his injuries the past 2 seasons.  Heck he got injured in Oct of 2015 at Ark.  He doesn't make it 6 games before he gets beaten up or legitimately injured.  

If 100% healthy, he is a roll of the dice.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Exactly! All someone had to do is watch the snaps he played at aday to understand that. He seemed tentative and confused most of the time, didn't seem to read the rush very well, didn't seem to feel comfortable in the pocket,not to mention the talks about his attitude etc.

Just now, Beaker said:

But I can't overlook his injuries the past 2 seasons.  Heck he got injured in Oct of 2015 at Ark.  He doesn't make it 6 games before he gets beaten up or legitimately injured.  

Well said, Sean will always have a special place in my book Bc of his toughness. Regardless of what he does at AU from here on out.

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

I see what your doing a4e stop it or you may get a vacation. You've been warned so be careful

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Christ look at the size of your yellow head what happen to your brain?

My two cents..............I saw Woody play over 10 times at West Orange HS. Great physical athlete, good arm with really good run instincts. Bad in pass read and at times got a little lazy. Once he showed up at Auburn he was overwhelmed and developed lets just say some bad habits/outlook. No one Gus or Saban could have seen it coming down like this. Woody's a good kid just made a few poor choices/decisions and then got a attitude and saw the hand writing on the wall. Lets wish him the best, I think he can be a really good QB but its up to him.

17 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Yep there is no way SW can make a full season in Gus offense w/o getting hurt imo

3 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Yep there is no way SW can make a full season in Gus offense w/o getting hurt imo

But in CLs offense... Might shine if needed

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Ummm. This guy is 3rd string now although I'm hoping we can redshirt him...

Didn't we redshirt Woody Barrett?

3 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

No disrespect to WB but MW is something special. 

40 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Yes

6 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Also, if Stidham leaves after one year than we probably won the National Championship. 

Yep. I will take it.

Falling behind (due to injury or whatever) then coming across as a slow learner (accurately or not) THEN having the new QB on the block play lights out -practice after practice - is a killer combo. Deserved or not. 

Once I saw Stidham and Willis in the spring game and the lack of playing time for Woody I was wondering if he would stick around.  Nothing to do but wish him the best of luck in the future and thanks for trying.  

On the issue of depth at QB which has been raised here.... The Memphis paper (where I live) had an article a month or so ago about coaches not naming starting QBs in the spring after Butch Jones wouldn't do so at UT. Essentially the article noted that there are a number of reasons why coaches don't name starters early, but the newest factor is the heavy threat of transfers. QBs, especially those who were heavily recruited, always think they should be starting, so if the coach makes it clear that they're not going to be, then they start looking for another place to go (see Alabama last year). My point in bringing this up is to note the challenge coaches face with quality depth at QB. If 2 good QBs are on the team, keeping both of them is hard. Then, if the starter gets hurt...  well, we know what can happen. Decisions like Woody's are becoming the rule, not the exception. So, I don't know that recruiting 2 good QBs a year will solve anyone's depth issues. It almost seems to me that the key to anyone's season is having 1 good QB & keeping him healthy. Where would Clemson have been if Watson had gotten hurt? Or Bama if Hurts had gotten hurt? Or OU if Mayfield had gotten hurt? What Ohio State did may never be done again! Maybe we should recruit 1 good QB a year & use that other scholly for another O-lineman! (Just kidding. Sorta...)

1 hour ago, TigerTennis80 said:

On the issue of depth at QB which has been raised here.... the newest factor is the heavy threat of transfers. QBs, especially those who were heavily recruited, always think they should be starting, so if the coach makes it clear that they're not going to be, then they start looking. My point in bringing this up is to note the challenge coaches face with quality depth at QB. If 2 good QBs are on the team, keeping both of them is hard. Then, if the starter gets hurt...  well, we know what can happen. Decisions like Woody's are becoming the rule, not the exception. 

Thanks for that TigerTenn...great post.

I will take it step further: the sooner we embrace this as the new 'norm' the better we will be with depth and being honest with recruits.  I think Gus and Chip are moving there now (by trying to recruit another blue chip QB).  QB depth has become a revolving door and the QB Coach/guru will become the highest paid coach or MVP on the staff, period.  Look at the NFL - no QB, no playoffs.   Great D1 programs won't have the luxury of real depth, we will have two types of QB: a raw, developing QB and a starter.   

Consider this: look at our top 3 QBs last year in the Spring.  None of them played a snap this year in our A Day game.  I suspect our typical QB will resemble a revolving door of a 1-2 yr cycle in the very near future.  I feel we are all hoping for 2-3 yrs...not gonna happen any longer.  They will transfer if not getting playing time or try to jump to NFL at the very first chance.  

Programs that get in front of this curve and are honest, will score the recruits.

Archived