Woody Barrett Transferring

Auhud08

He'll be playing at UCF...I said this last fall....would have the 'home' town support.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, TigerTennis80 said:

On the issue of depth at QB which has been raised here.... The Memphis paper (where I live) had an article a month or so ago about coaches not naming starting QBs in the spring after Butch Jones wouldn't do so at UT. Essentially the article noted that there are a number of reasons why coaches don't name starters early, but the newest factor is the heavy threat of transfers. QBs, especially those who were heavily recruited, always think they should be starting, so if the coach makes it clear that they're not going to be, then they start looking for another place to go (see Alabama last year). My point in bringing this up is to note the challenge coaches face with quality depth at QB. If 2 good QBs are on the team, keeping both of them is hard. Then, if the starter gets hurt...  well, we know what can happen. Decisions like Woody's are becoming the rule, not the exception. So, I don't know that recruiting 2 good QBs a year will solve anyone's depth issues. It almost seems to me that the key to anyone's season is having 1 good QB & keeping him healthy. Where would Clemson have been if Watson had gotten hurt? Or Bama if Hurts had gotten hurt? Or OU if Mayfield had gotten hurt? What Ohio State did may never be done again! Maybe we should recruit 1 good QB a year & use that other scholly for another O-lineman! (Just kidding. Sorta...)

Sure Clemson may have not won the NC without Watson but i'm willing to bet they wouldn't be a destitute offense. Before Watson..it was Boyd. They're doing a good job of developing QBs. So has OU. I don't think anyone expects to do what Ohio State did but there's certainly no excuse for such a drastic drop off at QB when you have to go to your 2nd or 3rd option at a program like ours. Those teams aforementioned constantly put their QBs and teams in the best position to win a lot of games no matter who the QB is. 

It is the nature of the game now with QBs but at the same time it's up to them to put the work in to play early. Some do....some don't. Like another poster stated...it was how we were recruiting the 2nd Qb that was the problem. If you're going to spend a scholly on another QB take someone that is not a big of a project/risk b/c we have shown we have issues developing QB talent that is more raw.

10 hours ago, TigerTennis80 said:

On the issue of depth at QB which has been raised here.... The Memphis paper (where I live) had an article a month or so ago about coaches not naming starting QBs in the spring after Butch Jones wouldn't do so at UT. Essentially the article noted that there are a number of reasons why coaches don't name starters early, but the newest factor is the heavy threat of transfers. QBs, especially those who were heavily recruited, always think they should be starting, so if the coach makes it clear that they're not going to be, then they start looking for another place to go (see Alabama last year). My point in bringing this up is to note the challenge coaches face with quality depth at QB. If 2 good QBs are on the team, keeping both of them is hard. Then, if the starter gets hurt...  well, we know what can happen. Decisions like Woody's are becoming the rule, not the exception. So, I don't know that recruiting 2 good QBs a year will solve anyone's depth issues. It almost seems to me that the key to anyone's season is having 1 good QB & keeping him healthy. Where would Clemson have been if Watson had gotten hurt? Or Bama if Hurts had gotten hurt? Or OU if Mayfield had gotten hurt? What Ohio State did may never be done again! Maybe we should recruit 1 good QB a year & use that other scholly for another O-lineman! (Just kidding. Sorta...)

Good post, never thought about it like that.

18 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

According to ESPN recruiting he had offers from AL, ND, TN, OK, Ole Miss and others so it looks as a lot of people "missed" on their evaluation of him.

And? Was a spot that Gus had to get right and he didn't. We are lucky that Stidham was out there for the taking or we would be in a huge mess right now. That kind of luck and player isn't around often. 

10 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

He will land at Jacksonville lol

Eventually landing at Va Tech - now THAT would be ironic (Malik decommitted from Va Tech rather late in the process to sign with us).

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

And? Was a spot that Gus had to get right and he didn't. We are lucky that Stidham was out there for the taking or we would be in a huge mess right now. That kind of luck and player isn't around often. 

And the point is that WB was considered a high value recruit to a lot of teams. I get your hate of all things Gus and that is ok, but to indicate that Gus "dropped" the ball on WB evaluation is stretching it a little.

37 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

And the point is that WB was considered a high value recruit to a lot of teams. I get your hate of all things Gus and that is ok, but to indicate that Gus "dropped" the ball on WB evaluation is stretching it a little.

Well he dropped the ball on Barrett, JF3, Tyler Queen, Keil Frazier, and Jeremy Johnson (although I am interested to see how his tryout with the Giants goes this month).

5 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Well he dropped the ball on Barrett, JF3, Tyler Queen, Keil Frazier, and Jeremy Johnson (although I am interested to see how his tryout with the Giants goes this month).

Why missing on Barrett could have been real bad. Thank God for Stidham. My point on Gus missing on Barrett wasn't anything personal and the consent QB struggles is why we have a new OC. Is what it is. 

14 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Why missing on Barrett could have been real bad. Thank God for Stidham. My point on Gus missing on Barrett wasn't anything personal and the consent QB struggles is why we have a new OC. Is what it is. 

Reminds me of when Tuberville  started to slack off on recruiting.  Had Kenny Irons not transferred Tubbs would have not had a running back in 2006.

14 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I've got to agree here. I was okay with everything until after the 2015 season. But then we went out on a transfer market that had a few decent options and came away with... John Franklin. Not only that, but Gus continued to get his evaluation on Sean White wrong. No matter what you think of Sean, he was obviously and easily our best quarterback last year when healthy (and even once or twice when not). And to not have anything remotely resembling competency behind him in year 4 of Gus's tenure... just no excuses for that. 

It might seem counter intuitive, but I don't view Barrett as a bad evaluation. In the right situation, he very well could have been Jalen Hurts. I do see him as a component of an overall failed recruiting strategy, though. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I've got to agree here. I was okay with everything until after the 2015 season. But then we went out on a transfer market that had a few decent options and came away with... John Franklin. Not only that, but Gus continued to get his evaluation on Sean White wrong. No matter what you think of Sean, he was obviously and easily our best quarterback last year when healthy (and even once or twice when not). And to not have anything remotely resembling competency behind him in year 4 of Gus's tenure... just no excuses for that. 

It might seem counter intuitive, but I don't view Barrett as a bad evaluation. In the right situation, he very well could have been Jalen Hurts. I do see him as a component of an overall failed recruiting strategy, though. 

Why I am excited about Chip on staff.

11 hours ago, tigerman1186 said:

He'll be playing at UCF...I said this last fall....would have the 'home' town support.

May not be a bad fit.

Just now, ToomersStreet said:

Why I am excited about Chip on staff.

Hear, hear. Don't know if he's the man, but we made a change when (ok, after) a change was needed. Whether of his own volition or not, Gus made a philosophical shift. That's exciting in and of itself. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Hear, hear. Don't know if he's the man, but we made a change when (ok, after) a change was needed. Whether of his own volition or not, Gus made a philosophical shift. That's exciting in and of itself. 

As long as Gus does not take it back

I hope WB lands on his feet and does well. I feel that this is a good move for him and us. As others have said in this thread, we have a solid 3 deep. Like most other teams in the country, if the #1 guy goes down, there is going to be a drop off. My hope is that JS plays this year and plays very well. In the event he leaves we will have SW and MW as well as new freshmen coming in to help. 

We just need to do a better job of evaluating HS talent at QB. Is seems that the new OC may be a little better at this. Time will tell. 

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Lot of the coaches I know love Chip. Think he is the real deal offensive coach that will fit in perfect with Gus. 

36 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

That's because you are a blonde.  Now go make some lunch.

Excuse me?

1 hour ago, ToomersStreet said:

He didn't drop the ball on Tyler Queen. Tyler Queen was just hurt the whole time he was here. 

4 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

He didn't drop the ball on Tyler Queen. Tyler Queen was just hurt the whole time he was here. 

Fair enough

5 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Fair enough

I truly believe had he not had that surgery after his senior year because of baseball he'd have probably been our number 2 last year. He was pretty good in high school and could run the ball. 

If the deal for the future is that we can't recruit and keep good backup QB's then we dang sure can't have the starter running the ball like we did with Cam and Nick unless, of course, he is as big as Cam.  Gus better be spending the extra scholarships developing a great OL and a strong pocket.  

P.S.  Yes Clemson was a good team overall but they weren't beating Bammer without Watson.  Us either.  

My thing with Gatewood is that there is this "red flaggy" cloud hanging over his situation to me. I could be wrong as hell but if he flops it just seems like it's going to be way too easy to trace things back to him not being good enough to be a full time QB for his HS. Just like with JF3. After we saw him play the story on him is "well, of course -- he couldn't even be a starter at his JUCO and the guy he backed up didn't even get a scholarship offer anywhere." Does anyone know where the kid Gatewood was backing up ended up going to school?

I mean this is supposed to be an elite-level QB talent, you'd think the coach is putting the best QB on the field...

Not trying to be a jerk or down the kid but I'm treading lightly on JG until he gets on campus. I really hope he becomes the next statue in front of JHS but I'm glad we are looking to take 2 QBs.

Just now, Tiger said:

My thing with Gatewood is that there is this "red flaggy" cloud hanging over his situation to me. I could be wrong as hell but if he flops it just seems like it's going to be way too easy to trace things back to him not being good enough to be a full time QB for his HS. Just like with JF3. After we saw him play the story on him is "well, of course -- he couldn't even be a starter at his JUCO and the guy he backed up didn't even get a scholarship offer anywhere." Does anyone know where the kid Gatewood was backing up ended up going to school?

I mean this is supposed to be an elite-level QB talent, you'd think the coach is putting the best QB on the field...

Not trying to be a jerk or down the kid but I'm treading lightly on JG until he gets on campus. I really hope he becomes the next statue in front of JHS but I'm glad we are looking to take 2 QBs.

The only silver lining with Gatewood is he does seem to be a legit athlete . By that , I mean he seems capable of absolutely impacting the game in a variety of ways. Unlike the speedsters who we typically go after who make slim to none impact.

Archived