Two football support staffers resign

auburnphan

http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Source-Gus-Malzahns-right-hand-man-resigns-52677543

Source: Gus Malzahn's right-hand men resign

•  

Two of  Gus Malzahn's right-hand men are on the way out.

Jamie Croley, Auburn’s director of football operations, has resigned to explore other opportunities and David Gunn, an assistant athletics director for Auburn football who serves as the chief liaison to Malzahn and is the administrator for the overall football program, has departed his post, a source familiar with the decisions tell AuburnUndercover.

UPDATE (5:45 p.m.): Auburn confirmed the resignations to AuburnUndercover at 5:45 p.m.

Croley served as Auburn’s director of football operations since 2013 and held the same position under Malzahn at Arkansas State in 2012. Gunn joined Malzahn in 2013 after 11 years at Arkansas State.

Croley is leaving to work at a foundation Malzahn and his wife, Kristi, plan to start soon. Croley is Malzahn’s brother-in-law and is nationally certified in athletic training.

"Just the realization you’re giving back for a cause — of course my medical background, you always like helping people as best you can," Croley told AuburnUndercover. "For now, to step out and help this foundation get started, I’m still getting to work for family and I get to work with Gus and Kristi now. It’s just an opportunity that I sat over the weekend thinking about."

The door remains open for Croley to return on Malzahn's staff as an operations administrator, Croley said.

"I want to see a foundation get going and actually begin to generate and help people," he said.

Croley traveled with Malzahn as recently as Thursday for the head coach's first stop on his AMBUSH speaking tour in Tampa.

brother in law...family issues?

1 minute ago, alexava said:

Never heard of them. 

Yep....but there are so many people in the AD ...who even knows who most of them are or what they do?    JMO but the athletic bureaucracy has gotten our of hand. 

It doesn't matter if we've heard of them or not. There's something going within the athletic department and it doesn't smell good.

Sounds to me like Gus is getting serious about beefing up the level of talent/experience at all levels of his staff. I think we need to wait and see who fills the holes before looking for the sky to fall.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Sounds to me like Gus is getting serious about beefing up the level of talent/experience at all levels of his staff. I think we need to wait and see who fills the holes before looking for the sky to fall.

Director of Operations...manage travel, special events..etc. etc....pretty standard job at many school.  So maybe he got Gus a bad hotel room or something.  This is one of those behind the scenes jobs that probably pays well and nobody but Gus or JJ would know whether he is doing a good job.

Could be that Gus is making these moves to try to save his job if he goes 8-5 for the 3rd time if his 5 years as Auburn's coach.

18 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Director of Operations...manage travel, special events..etc. etc....pretty standard job at many school.  So maybe he got Gus a bad hotel room or something.  This is one of those behind the scenes jobs that probably pays well and nobody but Gus or JJ would know whether he is doing a good job.

Football Operations was Gus's brother in law.  Odds are he was under qualified and Gus wants someone who can do the job better.

Gus's chief liaison to the athletics department who travels with him when he recruits is another story. One of two things is going on there. Either Gus wants someone who is going to bring more to the table, or the AD installing another Wayne Bolt. If it's the former, good for Gus.  If it's the latter, then we seriously need to clean out the AD.

3 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Tubs for Gunn's job, 3,2,1  go.....:popcorn:

What I wouldn't give... talk about pi$$ing off the powers that be.

Interesting ....and why didn't the initial news release say that?  JMO but seems that's a landing spot for him....

In case you want the job....here is what it usually entails..

The director of football operations handles communications between the athletic administration and the public relations staff members. The director of football administration is a similar position and is responsible for supervising the football program. The director of football administration focuses more on activities off the field, such as those involving travel plans and booster programs, while the director of football operations focuses more on activities directly involving interaction with the players on the field.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Interesting ....and why didn't the initial news release say that?  JMO but seems that's a landing spot for him....

In case you want the job....here is what it usually entails..

The director of football operations handles communications between the athletic administration and the public relations staff members. The director of football administration is a similar position and is responsible for supervising the football program. The director of football administration focuses more on activities off the field, such as those involving travel plans and booster programs, while the director of football operations focuses more on activities directly involving interaction with the players on the field.

I emailed you my resumè

4 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I emailed you my resumè

Sorry this job is saved for a close friend or family member....but we appreciate your interest.  You have an excellent resume's but unfortunately you appear to be over-qualified for his opening aside from not being related to anyone of importance in the Athletic Department.    Thanks for your response and we wish you success as you examine your future career objectives....

1 hour ago, Ber798297 said:

Croley is helping Gus and Kristi start a foundation:

Nope. 

That doesn't fit the storyline that there's something amiss in the athletic department. 

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

@augolf1716 I'm pretty sure the two of us could fill those roles pretty nicely.

Yeah, but wouldn't the two of you working that closely together form a black hole or some kind of tear in the fabric of the universe? Do we want to risk that?

Archived