Trump Fires Comey

AUDub

14 minutes ago, alexava said:

How could his actions be political?  Or better yet how could his actions NOT be seemingly political? He was refereeing a fight between the two dirtiest humans to ever seek the same office. Firing him is not a huge deal to me. But Trump shouldn't get to choose his replacement. That should be a congressional process and require 2/3s approval. You can't choose who investigates you. 

By making statements on intent and whether or not someone meant to do something or not and then recommending not to prosecute. Those are not jobs of the FBI. Their job was to present their findings to the justice department for their determination on whether to move forward or not.

And at this moment Trump is not being investigated. The statutory  process is for the president to choose the director and send it to the Senate for advise and consent of the Senate. This has been the process since 1972.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

By making statements on intent and whether or not someone meant to do something or not and then recommending not to prosecute. Those are not jobs of the FBI. Their job was to present their findings to the justice department for their determination on whether to move forward or not.

And at this moment Trump is not being investigated. The statutory  process is for the president to choose the director and send it to the Senate for advise and consent of the Senate. This has been the process since 1972.

We literally do not know this.  Comey would not specifically say if Trump was or was not being investigated while testifying on the Capitol Hill as it would go against letting the facts lead him.

8 hours ago, AU64 said:

I am amazed at the number of people who have jumped to Comey's defense.

The guy screwed up every where he turned for the past year...and yet that was good enough for him to be our top law enforcement officials.? Really?    JMO but he made Barney Fire look competent.

But some seem to be saying that he was doing a good job and should not have been fired.  

Is that the counter argument ?:-\

It's not so much jumping to his defense as it is calling out the hypocrisy and timing.  If Trump had done this day one, I don't think anyone says a word because that's not uncommon.  But that's not what happened.

Trump, back in the fall, praised Comey for his work and honesty when Comey had his press conference about Hillary's emails.  Nothing with Comey has changed since that time except the fact that he wouldn't verbally clear POTUS during his Capitol Hill testimony. In fact, Comey went out of his way to make sure that everyone knew an investigation into Russia's connections with the campaign was still ongoing.  Comey would not say that Trump was clear and, not coincidentally, a few days later he gets fired. 

Also, Trump has come out and said he was going to fire Comey for a long time.  So why not do it months ago?  Nothing about Trump's reasoning makes sense when put against the content of his own past public comments on Comey. 

For most of us, this has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with a President seemingly trying to sway an investigation through abuse of power.  That's a problem that we as Americans should have issue with regardless of political affiliation.

How many times has an AD come out voicing support for a coach a week before firing him. Trump is a politician now...just like Comedy....they say what needs to be said...Meanwhile Brenna testified  last week that there is no evidence of collusion with Ruskies....but the next guy can and will keep looking and I am betting he does not find anything either...it is a political witch hunt..JMO

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

How many times has an AD come out voicing support for a coach a week before firing him. Trump is a politician now...just like Comedy....they say what needs to be said...Meanwhile Brenna testified  last week that there is no evidence of collusion with Ruskies....but the next guy can and will keep looking and I am betting he does not find anything either...it is a political witch hunt..JMO

You can't compare an AD to the Presidency.  They aren't in the same ballpark, especially when in this case the President may currently be a part of an FBI investigation (we simply don't know for sure).

Also, I'm assuming you meant that Comey is a politician.  Comey is certainly not a politician.  He's a career FBI man and that organization prides itself on being apolitical.

As for Brennan, you're correct in that he said there's no evidence of collusion yet.  But he's with the CIA, not the FBI.  It's the FBI's job to investigate that and said organization has not cleared anyone in the matter of Russia at this time.

8 hours ago, homersapien said:

Sorry but I am not following your logic.  Among other things, I have been posting evidence that indicate a serious investigation into Trump's ties to Russia should be investigated.  (Of course, there are many other things Trump has done that could merit impeachment, but for the sake of argument let's stick with the Russian ties.)

All I want is for the truth to be known and that will take an investigation that is not yet occuring.  (The congressional committee investigations are a joke - understaffed and underfunded.)

While I - and many others - think there's something there, I don't know there is.  That's why the investigation is needed.

You - on the other - declare there is nothing there.  As if you know.

P.S.:

If you are going to call a referenced article BS, you need to cite the article in question and explain why. Otherwise, you just come across as a Trumpbot, who believes everything that comes out of his mouth.

I think I follow your logic. You have posted evidence that lends enough evidence to call for an investigation to find evidence.Would said evidence be required had the election results been different? Got it. I do apologize about the BS thing.

3 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

I think I follow your logic. You have posted evidence that lends enough evidence to call for an investigation to find evidence.Would said evidence be required had the election results been different? Got it. I do apologize about the BS thing.

Yes.  I think you do get it.

And I forgive you.

FBI officials contradicted Trump's claims, saying the dinner meeting was requested by the White House, and a former senior FBI official said Comey would have never told the president he was not under investigation.

"[Comey] tried to stay away from it [the Russian-ties investigation]," a former official close with Comey told NBC. "He would say, 'look sir, I really can't get into it, and you don't want me to."

A current FBI official also confirmed to NBC that Comey did not request the one-on-one dinner.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/333071-fbi-officials-challenge-trumps-account-of-dinner-meeting-with

President Trump will not make a visit to the FBI headquarters this week after the White House was told Trump would not be well-received after he fired FBI Director James Comey, according to multiple reports Thursday.

White House deputy press secretary Sarah Sanders had told reporters earlier on Thursday that the president would travel to the Washington, D.C., FBI headquarters sometime in the next couple days.

But that idea was scuttled after the FBI informed the White House that Trump's dismissal of Comey earlier this week had soured the mood at the agency, even though many FBI officials voted for Trump during the election.

"My sense is most FBI employees feel a loyalty to Comey," an unnamed source who works at the FBI headquarters told NBC News. "And whether they agree or disagree with the way he handled the email case, like and respect him ... Trump would not be well-received at headquarters."

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sour-mood-at-fbi-over-comey-canning-thwarts-trump-visit/article/2622888

5 minutes ago, AUUSN said:

It's so hard to coordinate alternative facts

Just now, Bigbens42 said:

It's so hard to coordinate alternative facts

Accused Obama of illegal wiretaps. Admits to possibly illegally wiretapping the FBI Director.

Only Trump.

1 hour ago, AUUSN said:

Accused Obama of illegal wiretaps. Admits to possibly illegally wiretapping the FBI Director.

Only Trump.

If the conversation was recorded I'll bet Comey has a copy. 

14 minutes ago, alexava said:

If the conversation was recorded I'll bet Comey has a copy. 

Considering Trump's very adversarial relationship with truth, I would not have a conversation with him without recording it.

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Honestly, we have a 70 year old child in the Oval Office.

I have approved and disapproved of various Presidents during my life, but Trump is the first that I felt is an utter embarrassment to my country.  Based on his irrational campaign style and rhetoric, I had low expectations when he entered office.  Those low expectations have since become optimistic.  While I do not expect Trump to implement policies or make appointments that I agree with, I do think it is reasonable to expect (or even require) any President of the United States to not be a temperamental and bombastic buffoon.

56 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Honestly, we have a 70 year old child in the Oval Office.

I was telling my wife yesterday that I cannot stand that politicians resort to name calling and other bull**** on twitter. They sound most certainly sound like children. 

Some have a preconceived notion of what the POTUS's demeanor should be based on tradition. They have a hard time coming to grips with a maverick who isn't the traditional politician. I think he is doing great myself and so does the vast majority of people who voted for him. I'm just enjoying the heck out of seeing him drive the media and Dems nuts.

11 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Some have a preconceived notion of what the POTUS's demeanor should be based on tradition. They have a hard time coming to grips with a maverick who isn't the traditional politician. I think he is doing great myself and so does the vast majority of people who voted for him. I'm just enjoying the heck out of seeing him drive the media and Dems nuts.

Maverick? He behaves like a petulant baby. 

18 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

The ( majority of people that voted for him) ? You are kidding right?  

29 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

My expectation for Presidential demeanor is not based on tradition, it is based on the national and global importance of the position.  When the President of the United States speaks, the world listens.  The President of the United States commands power to unleash a war that ends human civilization, and it can be done with a phone call.  All sane people should want this person to have a demeanor, temperament, and intelligence more like that of a western European head of state than that of Rodrigo Duterte.

57 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Some have a preconceived notion of what the POTUS's demeanor should be based on tradition.

No, it's based on being a grown adult.  It's the behavior we expect from any mature individual.  That this individual happens to also be the POTUS only makes it even more important.

57 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

They have a hard time coming to grips with a maverick who isn't the traditional politician. I think he is doing great myself and so does the vast majority of people who voted for him. I'm just enjoying the heck out of seeing him drive the media and Dems nuts.

Being a maverick does not preclude one from acting like a grown man instead of a child.

Oh well everybody. Ya'll stay on top of it. I'm off to St. John, USVI for a week of fun and sun. Hope things are a little more sane down there.

Archived