Not much respect for SEC coaches

AU64

Was looking at a poll of the top 25 power five conference coaches....and only four from the SEC

Not surprising, Nick was number one and then all the way down to number 19 for Gus..and then Mullen and McIlwain. 

If you think about it , I guess that is not much of a surprise . 

Sorry I don't have a link, don't know how to do it on my Kindle but it was on the CBS sports site. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lot of turnover the past few years, not too surprised to be honest. McIlwain is a bit surprising 

43 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Was looking at a poll of the top 25 power five conference coaches....and only four from the SEC

Not surprising, Nick was number one and then all the way down to number 19 for Gus..and then Mullen and McIlwain. 

Sorry I don't have a link, don't know how to do it on my Kindle but it was on the CBS sports site. 

SEC coaching is weak right now.  Nick Saban may end up being one of the worst things that happened to his conference from a quality of head coaching standpoint.  We've lost some good, seasoned, successful HC's in the last decade.  It's a mixed bag as to the reason for the losses, but coaches like Miles, Richt, Spurrier, Petrino, Franklin, Tuberville, etc.

ACC:  Swinney, Fisher, Fuente, Petrino, Fedora, etc.

Big10:  Meyer, Dantonio, Franklin, Harbaughh, Fitzgerald, etc.

Big12: Stoops, Snyder, Gundy, Patterson, Herman, Holgerson, etc

Pac12: Petersen, Leach, Shaw, Whittingham, Graham, Taggart, etc.

SEC:  Saban, Malzhan, Mullen, Bielema, Freeze, McElwain, Jones, Oregeron, etc.

We are just weak right now.

1 hour ago, tbone4jc said:

Lot of turnover the past few years, not too surprised to be honest. McIlwain is a bit surprising 

I think McElwain is getting bonus points for the whole shark thing......

43 minutes ago, keesler said:

SEC coaching is weak right now.  Nick Saban may end up being one of the worst things that happened to his conference from a quality of head coaching standpoint.  We've lost some good, seasoned, successful HC's in the last decade.  It's a mixed bag as to the reason for the losses, but coaches like Miles, Richt, Spurrier, Petrino, Franklin, Tuberville, etc.

I am willing to offer that Sabin is the primary reason the rest of the conference is in such bad shape with coaching.

Some very good coaches have lost their jobs because they could not beat Saban or did not compare favorably with his win-loss records. When conferences are more balanced and are not dominated by a single team year after year , alums around the conference are more tolerant of the ups and downs of their schools. JMO.

1 hour ago, keesler said:

It's a mixed bag as to the reason for the losses, but coaches like Miles, Richt, Spurrier, Petrino, Franklin, Tuberville, etc.

I'd say out of that group maybe Tubs and Les were victims of the Saban process.  The others would have left whether he was here or not.  In the end, it may force the other programs to upgrade their coaches which could make the SEC better in the long run (i.e. after Saban dies).

1 hour ago, keesler said:

Unfortunately Auburn did not play a role in Richt being run off. I wish we had.:angry:

As far as the list goes, I read a quote from Gus recently that I feel like made a lot of sense.

"This is a player’s game and I’ve been one blessed guy: whether it’s high school or college, just to be able to coach great players,” Malzahn said on the podcast. “I tell people all the time there are a lot of smarter coaches than me that just haven’t had the opportunity to be able coach the great players I’ve had."

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/There-are-a-lot-of-smarter-coaches-than-me-A-humble-Gus-Malzahn--52691624

32 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Unfortunately Auburn did not play a role in Richt being run off. I wish we had.:angry:

Hell, we probably prolonged his UGA career at least 5 years ?

39 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

I'd say out of that group maybe Tubs and Les were victims of the Saban process.  The others would have left whether he was here or not.  In the end, it may force the other programs to upgrade their coaches which could make the SEC better in the long run (i.e. after Saban dies).

Probably so but it's about a given that 7 schools in the SEC (or perhaps 8) will have one loss on their conference schedule before play even starts.....and then there are those also-rans whose fans are no longer satisfied with 8-10 wins in a season when in times past, that was not bad season if followed by a reasonable bowl game. Richt suffered by comparison in my opinion...and some others too I guess. And that will be Gus's downfall too....since looks like NS will be around bama for another 5 years at least.

I'm surprised Mullen wasn't above Malzahn.

Given the emotional connection I have to the Tuberville regime, I often wonder: not many realize this, but the main difference between 2008 and so many other of Tubs' seasons was the kicking game. Seriously, I often wonder WTH happened to Wes that year. If we had a functioning kicking unit we would've for sure beaten Vanderbilt, Arkansas, and Georgia (and the MSU game wouldn't have been so hideous because we would've won by seven). Franklin would have definitely made it through the whole year.

So the question is, does a decent kicking unit only delay Tubs' fate? Would he have gone after Cam?

I think McElwain is vastly underrated.  He inherited an offensive mess from Muschamp and is having to bring in players to run his offense.  My question with him would be can he keep his defense up there as well.  I still don't trust Smart.  I feel like he's in over his head.  8-5 would not surprise me for UGA this season.  Coach O may have a Chizik like reign with Matt Canada coaching offense.  

Saban, Gus, McElwain, Freeze, Mullen, Burt, Sumlin, Stoops, Smart, Mason, Coach O, Jones

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

I'm surprised Mullen wasn't above Malzahn.

Given the emotional connection I have to the Tuberville regime, I often wonder: not many realize this, but the main difference between 2008 and so many other of Tubs' seasons was the kicking game. Seriously, I often wonder WTH happened to Wes that year. If we had a functioning kicking unit we would've for sure beaten Vanderbilt, Arkansas, and Georgia (and the MSU game wouldn't have been so hideous because we would've won by a touchdown). Franklin would have definitely made it through the whole year.

So the question is, does a decent kicking unit only delay Tubs' fate? Would he have gone after Cam?

I got the impression that the guys Chiz hired from the southwest brought Cam to AU.  Don't recall that AU had any contact with Cam before he went to UF.  Expect if Tubs had stayed, it would have been Trotter or Mosley.....in state guys....08 and 09...our QB selections were pretty much busts other than Todd.

^In this hypothetical timeline, that would depend on if he saw that after two seasons of offensive struggles (despite 8-9 wins), he would need to allow Franklin to bring in his own staff--doubtful, so we can conclude that CTT's loyalty to his assistants might've been his downfall.

5 hours ago, AU64 said:

Football and fickle pollsters. Things change quickly. Looking forward to this year for Auburn folks.  

21 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I got the impression that the guys Chiz hired from the southwest brought Cam to AU.  Don't recall that AU had any contact with Cam before he went to UF.  Expect if Tubs had stayed, it would have been Trotter or Mosley.....in state guys....08 and 09...our QB selections were pretty much busts other than Todd.

I would of sworn I saw that Cam was considering Auburn out of high school but we already had a commitment from one Kodi Burns.

I could be wrong, but I swear I saw that somewhere. It's been years so I apologize I don't have a link, but I'll look...

There is a cyclical element to this, I think. The B1G was in a slump. So they hired Urban Meyer (from SEC) and Franklin (from SEC) and Harbaugh (from NFL). It has paid off for that conference. The ACC also -- Swinney, Petrino, and Fisher (all from SEC) simply demonstrate that they hired good coaches away from the SEC.

The Big12 and PAC12 are a different breed. They have not yet (in modern times) proven that they can actually win championships. Until they do, I'm reluctant to credit them as being the home of world class coaching.

Is the SEC in a down period of coaching? Well, maybe. A lot of talent has retired or been hired away in recent years. But maybe it's just that the current crop of relatively new coaches haven't yet had time to demonstrate just how good they can be.

36 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I would of sworn I saw that Cam was considering Auburn out of high school but we already had a commitment from one Kodi Burns.

I could be wrong, but I swear I saw that somewhere. It's been years so I apologize I don't have a link, but I'll look...

Could be ...but seems he was in the bag (so to speak) with Miss State and more or less at the last minute he ended up here....Trooper or someone convinced Gus...at least that's the story I recall.   Otherwise, he would have been at MSU and AU history would have been seriously different.  I don't recall that TUbs was big on Jucos...even to the extent that a big number of his recruits each year did not qualify and ended up in Juco and I don't recall that many of them came back here.

I actually genuinely dislike Mullen, but I mean he'd probably kill it here to be honest. Auburn gets a lot more talent than MSU and Mullen still wins there. 

25 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

freeze and sumlin would be stars in most leagues.

I definitely don't agree with those sentiments. Sumlin has done above average at a time where most of the texas schools are down and he has talent at his disposal. The fact that he keeps having the same QB issues is troublesome, especially with the 7 on 7 culture down there. His success lays with Johnny Football, one of the best college QB players to play. 

Freeze is a great offensive mind. He has found ways to beat bama, but he also found ways to lose games in the oddest ways. He also had at his disposal some of the greatest talent in ole miss history. The problem with these guys including Gus is they are just too damn inconsistent, even with notable talent. They are very good at one thing, but I don't necessarily know if I would consider them star head coaches just yet. 

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

I definitely don't agree with those sentiments. Sumlin has done above average at a time where most of the texas schools are down and he has talent at his disposal. The fact that he keeps having the same QB issues is troublesome, especially with the 7 on 7 culture down there. His success lays with Johnny Football, one of the best college QB players to play. 

Freeze is a great offensive mind. He has found ways to beat bama, but he also found ways to lose games in the oddest ways. He also had at his disposal some of the greatest talent in ole miss history. The problem with these guys including Gus is they are just too damn inconsistent, even with notable talent. They are very good at one thing, but I don't necessarily know if I would consider them star head coaches just yet. 

Generally agree. Most of the current crop of SEC coaches don't have much of a head coaching resume. I would have to look around a bit but big Bubba at Arkansas probably has more games under his belt than anyone other than Nick . Mostly we have coaches with a few years here and a few good years there... but not much at the power five level. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Could be ...but seems he was in the bag (so to speak) with Miss State and more or less at the last minute he ended up here....Trooper or someone convinced Gus...at least that's the story I recall.   Otherwise, he would have been at MSU and AU history would have been seriously different.  I don't recall that TUbs was big on Jucos...even to the extent that a big number of his recruits each year did not qualify and ended up in Juco and I don't recall that many of them came back here.

It was Gus that had to work hard to convince Chizik.

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

It was Gus that had to work hard to convince Chizik.

thanks..I recall that now..

13 hours ago, oracle79 said:

I would add Richt to that list.

Richt was fired so that they could go after Kirby and model the program after Saban's... JMHO.:cool:

Archived