Not much respect for SEC coaches

AU64

16 hours ago, AU64 said:

Was looking at a poll of the top 25 power five conference coaches....and only four from the SEC

Not surprising, Nick was number one and then all the way down to number 19 for Gus..and then Mullen and McIlwain. 

If you think about it , I guess that is not much of a surprise . 

Sorry I don't have a link, don't know how to do it on my Kindle but it was on the CBS sports site. 

That sounds about right. Mcllwain vs Gus this year will be interesting. Both have talent to work with. Gus has the better QB but Mcllwain has the easier schedule. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Given that I think Michigan is very overrated this season (come 2018 and 19, look out), I would say you're right. Plus an extra home game. Seriously, Sankey done screwed up by not making FL play LSU at home Sunday or Monday night last year.

15 hours ago, keesler said:

SEC coaching is weak right now.  Nick Saban may end up being one of the worst things that happened to his conference from a quality of head coaching standpoint.  We've lost some good, seasoned, successful HC's in the last decade.  It's a mixed bag as to the reason for the losses, but coaches like Miles, Richt, Spurrier, Petrino, Franklin, Tuberville, etc.

ACC:  Swinney, Fisher, Fuente, Petrino, Fedora, etc.

Big10:  Meyer, Dantonio, Franklin, Harbaughh, Fitzgerald, etc.

Big12: Stoops, Snyder, Gundy, Patterson, Herman, Holgerson, etc

Pac12: Petersen, Leach, Shaw, Whittingham, Graham, Taggart, etc.

SEC:  Saban, Malzhan, Mullen, Bielema, Freeze, McElwain, Jones, Oregeron, etc.

We are just weak right now.

Athletic Directors hiring coordinators with no HC experience are very inexperienced HCs led to the current state of SEC football.

11 hours ago, AU64 said:

I got the impression that the guys Chiz hired from the southwest brought Cam to AU.  Don't recall that AU had any contact with Cam before he went to UF.  Expect if Tubs had stayed, it would have been Trotter or Mosley.....in state guys....08 and 09...our QB selections were pretty much busts other than Todd.

Luper saw Cam on a recruiting trip. Luper was looking at a WR. Saw Cam in action and the rest is history. And yes Chiz had to be talked into taking Cam. 

49 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Luper saw Cam on a recruiting trip. Luper was looking at a WR. Saw Cam in action and the rest is history. And yes Chiz had to be talked into taking Cam. 

When you are a miss understood coaching genius prepping for a national championship you need to make sure you are not recruiting just anyone.   

19 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

When you are a miss understood coaching genius prepping for a national championship you need to make sure you are not recruiting just anyone.   

I think the issue was that prior to Luper, Cam was not on anyone's radar screen except Mullen who knew him from Florida and understood what he might be able to do. .

The much praised and sometimes maligned Nick Marshall came to AU in a similar way....not well known and not heavily sought after.

Sometimes folks just get lucky....like us with Cam and Nick ...and Mullen with Dak....or better still,  the Cowboys with Dak...

12 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I would of sworn I saw that Cam was considering Auburn out of high school but we already had a commitment from one Kodi Burns.

I could be wrong, but I swear I saw that somewhere. It's been years so I apologize I don't have a link, but I'll look...

You are right. We recruited him out of high school and while I don't know if we were high on his list, we were on his list.

26 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I think the issue was that prior to Luper, Cam was not on anyone's radar screen except Mullen who knew him from Florida and understood what he might be able to do. .

The much praised and sometimes maligned Nick Marshall came to AU in a similar way....not well known and not heavily sought after.

Sometimes folks just get lucky....like us with Cam and Nick ...and Mullen with Dak....or better still,  the Cowboys with Dak...

This is 100% correct. And why AU was even accused of paying Cam is laughable. 

I am no where near a Mullen fan but he did single out Dak very early. He has a eye for QB's. 

24 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

You are right. We recruited him out of high school and while I don't know if we were high on his list, we were on his list.

IIRC, we were looking at him as a TE, not a QB.

Just now, triangletiger said:

That was UGA. One more arrow in the quiver of anti-Richt leg humpers. (While, out of the other side of their mouths, they still piss and whine about that terrible human being for whose services we paid so handsomely.)

This could be the beginning of the end of the SEC's reign as the undisputed toughest conference IMO.

Losing Richt and Miles was a huge hit to the SEC's overall coaching "value". Now 2 premier schools have guys that are learning on the job (Bowlcut Kirbz) or using a life-line (Coach O). I think as those programs fail to meet the levels of success that their predecessors (JMO) it will really bring down the overall strength of the SEC.

BUT there is a window there for us because I think I'd rather have Gus over Kirby and definitely Coach O, so we HAVE to take advantage. But honestly I actually don't care if the SEC isn't looked at as the best conference or not because you can play your way into the national title game now.

22 minutes ago, Tiger said:

This could be the beginning of the end of the SEC's reign as the undisputed toughest conference IMO.

Losing Richt and Miles was a huge hit to the SEC's overall coaching "value". Now 2 premier schools have guys that are learning on the job (Bowlcut Kirbz) or using a life-line (Coach O). I think as those programs fail to meet the levels of success that their predecessors (JMO) it will really bring down the overall strength of the SEC.

BUT there is a window there for us because I think I'd rather have Gus over Kirby and definitely Coach O, so we HAVE to take advantage. But honestly I actually don't care if the SEC isn't looked at as the best conference or not because you can play your way into the national title game now.

Not always...Big 12 has not been there lately because the conference is not respected....which affects their team rankings.

I'm of the view, that bama is in the playoff until someone in the conference proves they are better....and not sure that even beating them in a regular season game is enough to jump over them. 

JMO....but If bama were to have an off year (3 losses) ...praise the Lord...the SEC could get left out unless a clearly dominant team is in the league and I'm thinking that means an undefeated team.

16 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Not always...Big 12 has not been there lately because the conference is not respected....which affects their team rankings.

I'm of the view, that bama is in the playoff until someone in the conference proves they are better....and not sure that even beating them in a regular season game is enough to jump over them. 

JMO....but If bama were to have an off year (3 losses) ...praise the Lord...the SEC could get left out unless a clearly dominant team is in the league and I'm thinking that means an undefeated team.

Good points. Hopefully the SEC doesn't lose too many respect points. Either way we are going to have to rely on being the SEC champion most years to get in. I think it will be very rare, moving forward, to sneak into the playoffs if you didn't win the conference. I think Ohio State's embarrassment will scare the committee from doing that too often. 

1 hour ago, triangletiger said:

No. I am pretty sure we were looking at him at QB and I am pretty sure he was a take for us at that position.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Best bang for the buck ever

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

This is 100% correct. And why AU was even accused of paying Cam is laughable. 

I am no where near a Mullen fan but he did single out Dak very early. He has a eye for QB's. 

True...but IMO Gus is under rated...when we recruited Marshall, there were more snarky messages on this board than you could count..."only KState was interested other than AU"....and "all those INTs"...and more negativism about his size and having been a DB....you recall that I'm sure.   And yet there we were in the Championship game a year later.   

Gus or someone was hoping that JF3 would be another hidden gem...but missed on that call.....which some folks won't let him forget.   Nobody gets it right 100%,,,and probably when it comes to recruiting QBs I'm thinking a success rate of 40% or so is pretty good based on what we see around the nation. 

I may be wrong, but I wouldn't sleep on what O is doing and gonna do at LSU.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He's got some incredible coordinators that is for sure

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

He's got some incredible coordinators that is for sure

Seems like Miles and saban dominated the SEC for awhile by simply building better rosters than everybody else and then playing good defense and running the ball. Where they diverged, maybe, is saban was willing to evolve on offense and Miles wasn't. 

O will definitely do what Miles did right- lock down Louisiana and build a blue chip roster from mostly home grown talent, and then have those big, strong kids ready to run through a brick wall for him- and he'll quite possibly improve upon it by letting a competent, progressive OC do his job. 

Otherwise, yeah, it seems like a lot of schools are trying to pull from a handful of coaching trees- one in particular- and are just diluting the pool. 

Lets just be honest here. Saban has absolutely ruined the SEC overall. Sure it is great for them and only them but as a conference overall? NAH!! You go from Les to O?! Richt to kirby smart? My goodness that is some massive downgrades even tho I do think O will do well at lsu just because the talent is so great and he hired great coordinators and he is a great recruiter. Probaly the biggest step back was going from franklin to derrick mason. I know they went to a bowl game this year but I think that was a fluke and they will return to closer they were his first couple of years at vandy. Honestly the only 2 schools who got MUCH better coaches in their latest coaching hires since saban arrived was the MS schools in Hugh Freeze and Dan Mullen. Arky downgraded from Petrino to Burt. With us I think Gus IS a better coach than Chizik but the records are pretty much the same and identical sans for chiziks last season. Georgia went from Richt to Bowl cut. Lsu from Les to O. I guess in hindsight going from Derek Dooley to Butch Jones seems like a huge step up. They certainly have a lot better record now.  Still getting worked by bama every year so 1 thing stayed the same. Mizzou went from Pinkel to Odom. Usc lite went from the frickin HBC to a guy who failed at florida in Muschamp. Florida went from the second best coach in college fball in urbs to Boom to Swamp Donkey. So they are moving in the right direction at least it looks like. Dan Mullen and Hugh Freeze if I am being honest are the next best coaches in the SEC and even they are not great they just are the best of the rest.

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Seems like Miles and saban dominated the SEC for awhile by simply building better rosters than everybody else and then playing good defense and running the ball. Where they diverged, maybe, is saban was willing to evolve on offense and Miles wasn't. 

O will definitely do what Miles did right- lock down Louisiana and build a blue chip roster from mostly home grown talent, and then have those big, strong kids ready to run through a brick wall for him- and he'll quite possibly improve upon it by letting a competent, progressive OC do his job. 

Otherwise, yeah, it seems like a lot of schools are trying to pull from a handful of coaching trees- one in particular- and are just diluting the pool. 

Seems like we go through spells of that....was a time years ago when bama would never consider a coach unless it was possible to draw some direct line connecting him to the "bear"....but eventually that played out.  

As for NS...he's been at enough places and turned over enough staff that it's almost impossible to find someone who was NOT connected to Nick at some point in his career. 

Hey I finally figured out how to post pictures!  And to christen the moment, a picture from my favorite show of all time, The Office.

original-13273-1450384713-3.jpg

15 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

I actually genuinely dislike Mullen, but I mean he'd probably kill it here to be honest. Auburn gets a lot more talent than MSU and Mullen still wins there. 

At risk of exposing my (steel sieve of a) memory, Auburn is a different place. Coach (tie) Dye arrived and began to sing "Born to [not] lose," and the Riverboat Gambler began to fear the coin toss.

19 hours ago, gr82be said:

Unfortunately Auburn did not play a role in Richt being run off. I wish we had.:angry:

Yessir. Georgia's on my mind.

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Lets just be honest here. Saban has absolutely ruined the SEC overall. Sure it is great for them and only them but as a conference overall? NAH!! You go from Les to O?! Richt to kirby smart? My goodness that is some massive downgrades even tho I do think O will do well at lsu just because the talent is so great and he hired great coordinators and he is a great recruiter. Probaly the biggest step back was going from franklin to derrick mason. I know they went to a bowl game this year but I think that was a fluke and they will return to closer they were his first couple of years at vandy. Honestly the only 2 schools who got MUCH better coaches in their latest coaching hires since saban arrived was the MS schools in Hugh Freeze and Dan Mullen. Arky downgraded from Petrino to Burt. With us I think Gus IS a better coach than Chizik but the records are pretty much the same and identical sans for chiziks last season. Georgia went from Richt to Bowl cut. Lsu from Les to O. I guess in hindsight going from Derek Dooley to Butch Jones seems like a huge step up. They certainly have a lot better record now.  Still getting worked by bama every year so 1 thing stayed the same. Mizzou went from Pinkel to Odom. Usc lite went from the frickin HBC to a guy who failed at florida in Muschamp. Florida went from the second best coach in college fball in urbs to Boom to Swamp Donkey. So they are moving in the right direction at least it looks like. Dan Mullen and Hugh Freeze if I am being honest are the next best coaches in the SEC and even they are not great they just are the best of the rest.

A lot of good points, but Miles and Spurrier were already out to pasture. At least Spurrier realized it and fired himself. Hard to imagine that Muschamp can replicate what one of the better CFB coaches in history could do, but I think he's going to be better than people expect. And like you and others have said, O just has to make the right hires and let them do their jobs and he'll do well, because he could just leave the football dorm door open, go fishing for a week and come back to a roster averaging 4+ stars and everybody's name ending in -eaux or -ette. 

Archived