Not much respect for SEC coaches

AU64

2 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

Well Penn State hired Franklin who I feel is one of the best out there.  I don't know why or how no one has hired Patterson away from TCU..  Jay Jacobs is an idiot and just hires bad people.  Tennessee's former AD wasn'r any better hiring Kiffin and Dooley.  Washington was smart hiring Peterson.  No One wanted the South Carolina job.  Georgia figured it was worth the gamble to fire Richt for an unproven  Smart hoping for Saban like results.  Kentucky being a basketball school is patient enough for the HC in training thing.  Orgeron is a gamble.  There is also the issue of firing your coach at the right time.  Texas fired Mack Brown hoping to get Saban.  When they didn't they found out there was no one else to hire so they picked up Strong.  To me I feel eventually some of the pressure will be taken off the coaches an some of the spotlight will go on the AD's with hire expectations on picking the right candidate. 

Smartest thing Franklin did was to leave Vandy at the first good opportunity....Despite it's recent problems, PSU has lots going for it...and it was finally past the majority of the penalties that hampered O'Brien.   Franklin should continue to do well at PSU but in my view he got out of Vandy at the right time...which was also right ahead of a sex  abuse scandal involving some of his players.

As for guys like Peterson or Patterson...it might come as a surprise but every coach is not looking to jump ship at the first sign of a bigger paycheck...especially to the SEC.

I could be wrong but I find it hard to believe that Smart was any top Dawg supporter's idea of a great successor for Richt .....and can't believe that anyone at Baton Rouge had Big O in mind when they cut Les loose.  My observation over the years is that most schools end up taking who they can get....not who they initially want.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AU64 said:

I find it hard to believe that Smart was any top Dawg supporter's idea of a great successor for Richt

There are a lot of people at a lot of schools who are blinded by the bama mystique and thing that getting any part of it will make them more successful.  They don't get that you can't out bama, bama, because you don't have the machine in the background that took decades to create.I like to think part of Smart's issues in recruiting are because he's finally realizing that you can't recruit like bama without all of the protections they have around them.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

There are a lot of people at a lot of schools who are blinded by the bama mystique and thing that getting any part of it will make them more successful.  They don't get that you can't out bama, bama, because you don't have the machine in the background that took decades to create.I like to think part of Smart's issues in recruiting are because he's finally realizing that you can't recruit like bama without all of the protections they have around them.

People forget that Bama almost got Rich Rodrigez instead of Saban.  Part of it is timing.  You get rid of your coach at the same time a proven coach is looking to take the next step.  Saban and his wife wanted to go back to the college ranks at the same time Bama was looking for a coach.  If Bama fired Shula a year early Saban might have ended up at FSU or Michigan.  You never know. 

Kirby Smart is young, cocky, inexperienced, and has a since of entitlement.  Just like Muschamp. Anything less than an SEC or SEC caliber (Clemson) job was beneath him.  Like @lionheartkc said, he is learning 1.  he is not Saban, 2. UGA has not had our level of success much less Bama's so it is harder to sell winning a NC and 3. His bowl haircut is not as cool as he thought.

A lot of the SEC seems to have invested in scheme as solution in recent years. Saban has drained the talent and encouraged too much of it to locate outside the conference. His recruiting "success" re-tooled staffs from coaches to salesmen and the poor fundamental play and increasing reliance on flavor-of-the-month schemes have created a lot of inconsistency everywhere outside of Tuscaloosa. Only the Big 10 with OSU really has that same big elephant in the room, and I don't think it's nearly on the same level...so yeah, as a conference I think we still have the bulk of football talent on the rosters but pretty spotty coaches. 

4 hours ago, aucom96 said:

A lot of the SEC seems to have invested in scheme as solution in recent years. Saban has drained the talent and encouraged too much of it to locate outside the conference. His recruiting "success" re-tooled staffs from coaches to salesmen and the poor fundamental play and increasing reliance on flavor-of-the-month schemes have created a lot of inconsistency everywhere outside of Tuscaloosa. Only the Big 10 with OSU really has that same big elephant in the room, and I don't think it's nearly on the same level...so yeah,

as a conference I think we still have the bulk of football talent on the rosters but pretty spotty coaches. 

Draft results pretty much support this view....

Not surprised that Nick is #1. The media's love for the guy has gotten stronger each year he's been at UAT.

Top to bottom, I still believe the SEC has some very solid coaches besides Saban. There is always a top tier and then everyone else. Parity in the league creates a lot of very competitive 8-5 type programs.  Think of the 90s. The SEC coaching roster in included Spurrier, Stallings, and Fulmer in the top tier, then the likes of Bowden Curly Hallman, Ray Goff, Billy Brewer, Bill Curry etc.  Malzahn, Freeze, Mullens, Sumlin, Muschamp, McElwain and Butch Jones  (and Bielema at Wisconsin) have all had their teams ranked in the top 10 at one time and many of them have had seasons of double digit wins. I'm not saying they are all world beaters, but I believe it's a pretty solid group. 

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Top to bottom, I still believe the SEC has some very solid coaches besides Saban. There is always a top tier and then everyone else. Parity in the league creates a lot of very competitive 8-5 type programs.  Think of the 90s. The SEC coaching roster in included Spurrier, Stallings, and Fulmer in the top tier, then the likes of Bowden Curly Hallman, Ray Goff, Billy Brewer, Bill Curry etc.  Malzahn, Freeze, Mullens, Sumlin, Muschamp, McElwain and Butch Jones  (and Bielema at Wisconsin) have all had their teams ranked in the top 10 at one time and many of them have had seasons of double digit wins. I'm not saying they are all world beaters, but I believe it's a pretty solid group. 

the top tier is 1 guy and then it drops off remarkably. unfortunately for that 1 guy happens to be in the same state as us.

On 5/12/2017 at 10:39 AM, DAG said:

It is not just about being there. Could they win at those schools? I don't see how that backs up your opinion when they are recruiting at a high level and still not playing up to par. Kansas state just defeated the aggies this last bowl season and Kansas State has far less talent. Give Bill Snyder the talent that Sumlin is getting at Texas A&M and see what occurs. Recruiting all the talent in the world and consistently winning 8 games doesn't make you a top ten coach. It makes you Ron Zook.

Exactly - GIVE bill Snyder sumlins recruited talent...because Snyder sure couldn't recruit it himself. You have a burr up your butt about this apparently but if you disagree coaching sec west makes losses more likely and the coaches not winning natioonal titles thus less appealing, you'll need to recruit your like buddies here.

13 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Not surprised that Nick is #1. The media's love for the guy has gotten stronger each year he's been at UAT.

You mean each year that he makes the playoffs or just when he wins a championship?

46 minutes ago, bigbird said:

You mean each year that he makes the playoffs or just when he wins a championship?

Probably because he is so cordial to them in the press conferences and post game interviews. :-\

3 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Probably because he is so cordial to them in the press conferences and post game interviews. :-\

Actually I've seen NS in some interviews and he is pretty cordial and conversational...it's the local news media trying to ring up "click bait" quotes that he has no truck with and guess i can't blame him.   

I doubt many in the media love him...but they seem to respect what he has to say and like it or not, his opinions carry weight as we have seen on some of the football rules issues.  For the most part...and for better or worse,  Nick and Harbaugh seem to be the spokesmen for college football these days.  

From what I've noticed, coaches like Gus with his "aw shucks" manner don't get much play out of the deep south though maybe an SEC championship might change that. 

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

Actually I've seen NS in some interviews and he is pretty cordial and conversational...it's the local news media trying to ring up "click bait" quotes that he has no truck with and guess i can't blame him.   

I doubt many in the media love him...but they seem to respect what he has to say and like it or not, his opinions carry weight as we have seen on some of the football rules issues.  For the most part...and for better or worse,  Nick and Harbaugh seem to be the spokesmen for college football these days.  

From what I've noticed, coaches like Gus with his "aw shucks" manner don't get much play out of the deep south though maybe an SEC championship might change that. 

Gus isn't "aw shucks" with the media.  Gus is paranoid and obtuse when he deals with the media.  Hopefully a 10 win regular season with a victory over uga in 2017 will help Gus deal with the media better.

wde

18 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Bunch of sycophants ?What has that guy done to deserve all this notoriety?

15 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Exactly - GIVE bill Snyder sumlins recruited talent...because Snyder sure couldn't recruit it himself. You have a burr up your butt about this apparently but if you disagree coaching sec west makes losses more likely and the coaches not winning natioonal titles thus less appealing, you'll need to recruit your like buddies here.

You sound stupid as hell. He couldn't recruit them himself but his 2 and 3 star recruits beat Sumlin 4 and 5 star SEC recruits . Yet, you are sitting here trying to act like Sumlin can be a superstar in any other conference . You have no point and have sounded ridiculous this whole thread so now you are butt hurt .

Some people on here do not understand that there are schools that have an advantage over other schools just because of who they are.  Alabama, Florida, Georgia, LSU are the advantage schools in the SEC.   they can do the bare minimum and still out recruite most schools in the SEC.  Auburn, Tennessee and Texas a&m have to work harder to stay at their level.   Its just fact and always has been.  

8 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Some people on here do not understand that there are schools that have an advantage over other schools just because of who they are.  Alabama, Florida, Georgia, LSU are the advantage schools in the SEC.   they can do the bare minimum and still out recruite most schools in the SEC.  Auburn, Tennessee and Texas a&m have to work harder to stay at their level.   Its just fact and always has been.  

We have had a top 10 class in recruiting every year on some site with not exactly spectacular coaches in Chizik and Gus since chiziks second class. No excuses. Now just imagine it with a really good coach.

22 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

Gus isn't "aw shucks" with the media.  Gus is paranoid and obtuse when he deals with the media.  Hopefully a 10 win regular season with a victory over uga in 2017 will help Gus deal with the media better.

wde

True - I've never seen the "aw shucks" demeanor from Gus with the media.  He comes across uptight, defensive at times and obtuse to the point of avoidance.  He in no way appears comfortable, confident, in control, or has the "good ole boy" persona with them.

22 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

Hopefully a 10 win regular season with a victory over uga in 2017 will help Gus deal with the media better.

I don't know that it will help.  Gus is very obviously not comfortable with public speaking in general. It's really not uncommon for someone who is so focused on the technical side of things. That's part of why I believe his wife should get most of the credit for the atmosphere around the team. As Gus says about himself, somewhat jokingly, "I have no personality". 

4 hours ago, keesler said:

True - I've never seen the "aw shucks" demeanor from Gus with the media.  He comes across uptight, defensive at times and obtuse to the point of avoidance.  He in no way appears comfortable, confident, in control, or has the "good ole boy" persona with them.

Maybe it's just me but all that gum chewing and his half time quotes.....sorry but that mostly has red neck all over it...and I say this as a fan of  Gus...

4 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I don't know that it will help.  Gus is very obviously not comfortable with public speaking in general. It's really not uncommon for someone who is so focused on the technical side of things. That's part of why I believe his wife should get most of the credit for the atmosphere around the team. As Gus says about himself, somewhat jokingly, "I have no personality". 

Oldie but a goody:

Malzahn has a reputation of being low key. One day after Hand told a joke in a meeting, Malzahn said: “I don’t really understand jokes. I don’t get them.”

Hand asked him if he didn’t get that joke, and Malzahn responded: “No, I just don’t get the whole concept of jokes. I don’t even know why people tell them. What’s the point?”

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2626436-gus-malzahns-reunion-with-right-hand-man-herb-hand-gives-new-energy-to-auburn

36 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Oldie but a goody:

Malzahn has a reputation of being low key. One day after Hand told a joke in a meeting, Malzahn said: “I don’t really understand jokes. I don’t get them.”

Hand asked him if he didn’t get that joke, and Malzahn responded: “No, I just don’t get the whole concept of jokes. I don’t even know why people tell them. What’s the point?”

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2626436-gus-malzahns-reunion-with-right-hand-man-herb-hand-gives-new-energy-to-auburn

Just a weird man. 

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Just a weird man. 

I, for one, am not one to cast anything.

On 5/14/2017 at 2:00 PM, aubaseball said:

I completely disagree.  The only school in the SEC that has an advantage over us or anybody else in the conference is uat.  The only reason they have that is because they are willing to sacrifice all ethics and integrity to win and buy the players they need to compete.    The others you mentioned don't have any advantages over us or anybody else.   We all mostly recruit the same players.  LSU may recruit more heavily in Texas given their proximity but other than that.  NO. 

Not true.   Florida is the third state in the USA with the most talent.   Florida has a huge advantage over us.   Georgia is probably the fourth   state with the most talent and they get their pick of the litter.   LSU might be tied with GA for top talent and they basically control Louisiana.   Alabama out recruits us and it's not even close.   All this cheat talk sounds like sour grapes to me unless someone can prove something 

Archived