Former Baylor assistant Praises Stidham

WFE12

Former Baylor assistant: Jarrett Stidham a 'taller Drew Brees'

When the ball left Jarrett Stidham's hand, Cris Dishman thought to himself, "Interception."

Most college quarterbacks don't have anywhere near enough arm strength to make that throw, a deep out route thrown from the right hash mark all the way to the left sideline with tight coverage.

That's why this pass, made during a practice not long after Stidham arrived at Baylor in 2015, was so impressive and memorable for Dishman. A perfectly-placed laser that wide receiver K.D. Cannon caught in stride along the sideline.

"I was like, 'OK, no other quarterback can make that throw,'" said Dishman, a former All-Pro defensive back who was Baylor's safeties coach. "I had to go back and watch it on film. And when I saw it on film, it was like, 'Whoa. This kid's going to be good.'"

To Dishman, Auburn's new sophomore quarterback is a "taller Drew Brees." The Baylor transfer has the potential to be that good, Dishman said. Not just because of the arm strength.

"We used to sit in our defensive meeting room at Baylor and be like 'OK, we've got one right here. We've got something special at quarterback,'" Dishman said. "You knew he was going to a special-type player, so him being successful at Auburn doesn't surprise me at all."

Baylor was 7-0, ranked No. 6 nationally and looking to stay in contention for the College Football Playoff when it went on the road for a night game against Kansas State. Stidham was terrific, finishing 23 of 33 for 419 yards with three touchdowns and no interceptions in a 31-24 victory.

"Everybody thought he was going to be nervous, but he wasn't," Dishman said. "Before the game, he was joking with people and showing no nerves at all and acting like it was just a normal day, and then he just went out there and blew it up and looked like he had been in the system for years. That's the confidence he has in ability. He has so much confidence in his ability, and that's what you want in a quarterback and a leader."

Inspired by Brady, Stidham does a lot of "deep training," working on his mechanics and footwork even when he's alone at home. For example, Kirklin had Stidham work on how he steps when he throws one night -- stepping, getting back to his base and repeating for 15 minutes.

"Jarrett's always asking if there's anything that Brady does that he's not doing now that he could do to make him better," Kirklin said. "He wants to be at that level, so he and I are constantly looking at stuff and trying to figure out if there's something more that we can do."

The competitiveness showed during a workout with Kirklin.

The last throw of the session was a 20-yard out route off of a three-step drop. When Stidham walked out to the far hash mark instead of the middle of the field, Kirklin asked, "What are you doing?"

"I want to throw it from the hash," Stidham said. "It's too easy from the middle of the field. I've got to make it harder on myself."

"That's an NFL throw," Kirklin responded.

"Yeah," Stidham said, "I'm going to make it."

While Stidham successfully made the throw, he kept going until placing the ball exactly where he wanted.

"Every single time we work together, if it ain't perfect, we're going to do that same exact throw and footwork maybe 20 or 30 times until it's perfect," Kirklin said. "For me, that's what sums it up. So many other kids would just want to move on, or they don't understand how to self-analyze or self-correct and just listen to what the coach says. He does both. He takes in what the coach says, and then he also isn't going to move on until it's perfect."

"He's one of those rare breed guys that comes along once in a while," Dishman said. "He's a guy that, if he stays healthy and keeps progressing, he'll be part of the NFL draft one day."

Matt Zenitz al.com

• WarTiger changed the title to Former Baylor assistant Priases Stidham

It always makes me nervous when people compare players to Drew Brees. If I remember correctly, Trent Dilfer basically said Sean White was the next Drew Brees a couple of years ago - that didn't exactly turn out to be accurate.

59 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

It always makes me nervous when people compare players to Drew Brees. If I remember correctly, Trent Dilfer basically said Sean White was the next Drew Brees a couple of years ago - that didn't exactly turn out to be accurate.

He said he reminded him of Drew Brees, except with a stronger arm. He also called him a program changer. A bit hyperbolic for sure, but not exactly the same as saying he was the next Drew Brees. And he didn't know that Sean would have so many injury problems, or that Gus would completely whiff on his assessment of his own QBs. 

Whatever Sean's ceiling is- probably lower than Brees's- he hasn't and probably won't ever hit it, through no fault of his own. 

Edit: Sorry, I don't mean to make this another Sean haterz vs loverz thread. You're right. I'm gun shy on this kind of praise, too.  

2 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Is the hype real guys? I am going to temper my expectations to be safe

Well I'm drinking the Kool-Aid,give me another glass.

I just hope even if he is very successful that he stay's at least two years. That would get our QB situation set up for at least 6 years with at least two stud QB's at all times.

16 minutes ago, bg5 said:

I just hope even if he is very successful that he stay's at least two years. That would get our QB situation set up for at least 6 years with at least two stud QB's at all times.

It would be really cool if you're right, but I don't think anyone who's ever said that before has been. 

5 hours ago, triangletiger said:

Despite the article not telling us who he is, I assume Kirklin is Stidham's personal coach?

He is

• WarTiger changed the title to Former Baylor assistant Praises Stidham

i like hearing good things. I love seeing good things. Hope we see lots of good things this fall!

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

FWIW

I just tiptoed out of the room after putting my expectations to bed. Now they are back there wide awake and screaming for attention. All I wanted to do was eat some Fritos in peace...

Just now, Tiger Refuge said:

I just tiptoed out of the room after putting my expectations to bed. Now they are back there wide awake and screaming for attention. All I wanted to do was eat some Fritos in peace...

:bow:

1 hour ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Here, let me help out...

Zeke Pike was reportedly a hard worker, too.

Glad I could help.

4 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

*sits eating Fritos in peace*

pairing?

15 hours ago, McLoofus said:

FWIW

Iron sharpens iron...All the better when he helps make the others reflect these same attributes on the field and off just by observing his actions.

On 5/11/2017 at 8:28 AM, thaitopher said:

It always makes me nervous when people compare players to Drew Brees. If I remember correctly, Trent Dilfer basically said Se ean White was the next Drew Brees a couple of years ago - that didn't exactly turn out to be accurate.

The thing about Dilfer is those who can't qb get on tv and just throws things against a wall hoping for a stick.

8 hours ago, wde1968 said:

The thing about Dilfer is those who can't qb get on tv and just throws things against a wall hoping for a stick.

"Can't qb?"

Dilfer is a Super Bowl-winning NFL quarterback. He might not be very good compared to other Super Bowl-winning NFL quarterbacks. Yes, his defense was amazing. Yes, he's paid to say things. But the dude was drafted as an NFL quarterback- the 6th overall pick. That alone makes him a better quarterback than at least 115 of the 120ish guys- all pretty good themselves- who will be starting on opening weekend this fall. He played 13 years in the NFL. He knows more about the position than 99.9% of anyone who has ever said the word "football". 

Archived