Baseball v. LSU - Game 1

1 minute ago, SaltyTiger said:

thanks, usually get radio streamed but cant tonight. away from home and no television here.sounds like a blessing perhaps.

Did you try the LSU site?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

thanks, usually get radio streamed but cant tonight. away from home and no television here.sounds like a blessing perhaps.

Trust me ... be glad your missing this one.  2 bright spots - klobo looks good in relief and ingraham is 2-2 with a couple good at bats.

everything else ... not so much.

well, we've had a few nice defensive plays.  If not for the first inning disaster and our inability to hit Lange ...

Klobo looking about as good as he has anytime this year.  Keeping the game in reach but looks like AU having serious problems hitting the LSU guy...but he should be gone pretty soon.   

Early on I thought we would use up the bull pen tonight but GK has enabled Butch to save them...

Mentioned earlier, but Klobo with an awesome outing to preserve the pen. AU trails 4-0 to the 9th

Final: Auburn drops its fifth straight game, falls 4-0 to LSU. LSU ace Alex Lange with a complete game shutout. Auburn now 14-11 in the SEC.

AU baseball, football, and basketball is finding its way into the bottom half of the SEC West way too often here lately. 

Big Gabe came up huge on the mound.  That was an easy win for LSU, but it could have been a train wreck for Auburn if Klobosits hadn't done the tremendous job he did.  This team starting to look like they're running on fumes, but one good win can re-energize them.  I assume we've got our two best on the mound for Saturday and Sunday.  Time to cough up whatever hairball is hung up and get better in a hurry.

Once klobo entered the game it was a sure enough pitchers duel.

if klobo pitched like that every outing, we'd have some serious starting pitching.  That gives me some encouragement come tourney time

It certainly didn't help our team's chances to have to face a pitcher who will soon be drafted by a major league baseball team. He was LSU's best pitcher. 

Can someone explain why they think we are bombing as of late?  Not being critical, I just do not follow Auburn baseball like I do football, basketball, and softball.  Do we have a bunch of injuries or something?

51 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Can someone explain why they think we are bombing as of late?  Not being critical, I just do not follow Auburn baseball like I do football, basketball, and softball.  Do we have a bunch of injuries or something?

We had to hold out Daniel Robert and Luke Jarvis due to fatigue and arm soreness, which is a big reason why I believe our offense suffered during that series. I think that Alabama series was a mixture of those guys being out, Bama finding some good fortune, and starting to believe they could beat us. This Auburn team hasn't been faced with much adversity this year, so I think it's all very new and they're having to learn how to adjust when they have their backs up against a wall. I expect us to get better offensively once Jarvis is back in the lineup. Daniel Robert's only at-bat last weekend was a Game-tying RBI Single in the ninth, and I think there's just something to the clutch hitting that Jarvis and Robert have brought to the table this year. I think once we get those guys back, and pick up another win, we'll be back on track. The hard part of that is: there are 5 regular season games left. Win them all, we could be a host team with some luck. Lose them all, we could be a 3 seed with some bad luck. Funny how quickly a season can turn on a dime. These guys just need something good to happen again, and I think a Keegan Thompson or Casey Mize start might help a little bit. Hopefully Luke and Daniel can come back soon. 

The good news is that we have two, possibly three, excellent starting pitchers- three that all have the ability to give us a real quality start. That makes us a dangerous postseason team, so if those guys can come back healthy, and we can get a little lucky with our regional draw (assuming we don't host)... we've got a real shot to go deep. 

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

Coaches have found out our Achilles  heel is breaking balls and are wearing us out with them. We look horrible swinging at breaking balls and rarely get a bat on them, and even then we hit pop ups and weak grounders. I fear we will not see many good fastballs to hit the rest of the year b/c of this and the bottom fall completely our of the rest of our season.

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

Last night we simply got beat by an excellent pitcher.  Nobody was gonna hit that guy last night.  

The other 4 losses are just ...

Losing 3 straight to UAT at Auburn pretty much ended their season. It's still hard to believe that UAT was only 2-19 in the SEC when they took those 3 games last weekend. How the heck could we allow that to happen? there's no good reason.

33 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Losing 3 straight to UAT at Auburn pretty much ended their season. It's still hard to believe that UAT was only 2-19 in the SEC when they took those 3 games last weekend. How the heck could we allow that to happen? there's no good reason.

Plenty of good reasons, even if they are inexcusable. We allowed 5 unearned runs in the double header Saturday and lost both of those games by one run. We left 41 men on base in 3 games, left 23 in scoring position. The top of the lineup, 1-2-3, scored 3 total runs all weekend, and they reached base 19 times in 56 plate appearances. Again, not excusable but explainable. We simply didn't have enough good at bats.

HkcrP7 

2 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

Coaches have found out our Achilles  heel is breaking balls and are wearing us out with them. We look horrible swinging at breaking balls and rarely get a bat on them, and even then we hit pop ups and weak grounders. I fear we will not see many good fastballs to hit the rest of the year b/c of this and the bottom fall completely our of the rest of our season.

7 minutes ago, Pedaler said:

HkcrP7 

I know; Cerano eventually learned how to hit a curve ball. I hope our guys find the same ability before it's too late.:dunno:

4 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

I know; Cerano eventually learned how to hit a curve ball. I hope our guys find the same ability before it's too late.:dunno:

So we're not yet to the point of sacrificing a live chicken in the locker room?

Just now, Pedaler said:

So we're not yet to the point of sacrificing a live chicken in the locker room?

Careful, you might make bigbird nervous.

Archived