Auburn vs. Alabama 1993

augolf1716

2 things: Did you notice when we were 4th and 1 or 3rd and 1 and got under center; qb sneak got about 3 yards, fb dive got 3 yards. I miss those plays so much with all the shotgun snaps now.

Jim Fyffe: "Oh he caught it at the 2, and he dives in! Touchdown Auburn, Touchdown Auburn! To me the greatest AU call ever.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, corchjay said:

Was in the south endzone.  Bostic running straight at me. 

Same. Standing with a fellow graduate and one of my best friends. We were losing our minds!

Headed into that season, Alabama had won 3 straight following an all-timer of an Auburn victory. I hope that pattern continues this year!

32 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

My theory is that there are a lot of people in Alabama* that literally don't have a single other thing to be proud of or get excited about. So when their only reason to smile that week is taken away, they don't respond well. And, due to state school status and a boatload of hardware, the vast majority of them pull tide.

I know that sounds condescending, but I've seen it and I've known some of those folks. And I've had rough weeks where I really could have used a big win from one of my teams on the weekend, and I've reacted poorly when they didn't.

I don't recall ever trying to run someone off the road, though, lol. 

*And rural Ohio, and Texas, and Philadelphia- duck, Santa!- and...  Big Fan with Patton Oswalt is an interesting movie that deals with an urban Northeasterner who is basically Harvey Updyke, except possibly even more pathetic. 

Pretty sure I've discussed it here long ago, but my immediate neighbors in Tloosa were more of a "bless his heart" attitude with some tinge of smugness. 'Course, I also think I've mentioned that our nice realtor lady unabashedly "steered" us into that neighborhood. She openly refused to show us areas where "AU fans would not be welcomed."Seeing what happened in other parts of the city, I came to appreciate her concerns.

12 hours ago, cowdoc said:

In the student section in about the 40 yard line. Loved that day!

I was very near there. Almost fell out of the stands when Nix hit Sanders and everyone started jumping around and celebrating.

I was 12 listening on the radio. This is the first time I've ever seen any clips from the game. Frank Sanders and Jason Miska will always be a couple of my favorite players.

20 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Pretty sure I've discussed it here long ago, but my immediate neighbors in Tloosa were more of a "bless his heart" attitude with some tinge of smugness. 'Course, I also think I've mentioned that our nice realtor lady unabashedly "steered" us into that neighborhood. She openly refused to show us areas where "AU fans would not be welcomed."Seeing what happened in other parts of the city, I came to appreciate her concerns.

Crazy stuff.

The smugness of the ones that maintain a semblance of dignity... that I get. 

55 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

2 things: Did you notice when we were 4th and 1 or 3rd and 1 and got under center; qb sneak got about 3 yards, fb dive got 3 yards. I miss those plays so much with all the shotgun snaps now.

Jim Fyffe: "Oh he caught it at the 2, and he dives in! Touchdown Auburn, Touchdown Auburn! To me the greatest AU call ever.

Agree. Why make is 3rd or 4th and 5 when you only need 1 yd by lining up in the shotgun? 

16 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:
  12 hours ago, cowdoc said:

In the student section in about the 40 yard line. Loved that day!

I was very near there. Almost fell out of the stands when Nix hit Sanders and everyone started jumping around and celebrating.

I was on the 20-25 in student section as well.  Saw every game from the stands that year.  What a great time!!!

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Crazy stuff.

The smugness of the ones that maintain a semblance of dignity... that I get. 

Never seen such in any other state. Waaay before then, when Dad (USMC) retired to Fairhope (Mom's home town) the Welcome Wagon lady actually asked, "Who ya' for?"

28 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Never seen such in any other state. Waaay before then, when Dad (USMC) retired to Fairhope (Mom's home town) the Welcome Wagon lady actually asked, "Who ya' for?"

Sigh. Yup.

On 5/12/2017 at 2:56 PM, lkeel75 said:

I was on the 20-25 in student section as well.  Saw every game from the stands that year.  What a great time!!!

I was a Sr. in High school and was one of 44K to sit in Bryant Denny and watch on closed circuit on the big screen there. LOVED that day!    I will say that of the 44K watching, at least 40k in that stadium were in crimson and white.  There was not another AU fan close enough to speak to where me and my 3 brothers were sitting.  We were almost in fights at least twice.  We were smart enough to get out of there when Bama turned in over on downs with just minutes left - we knew we did not want to be in there when it was over.  

1 hour ago, jtauburntiger said:

I was a Sr. in High school and was one of 44K to sit in Bryant Denny and watch on closed circuit on the big screen there. LOVED that day!    I will say that of the 44K watching, at least 40k in that stadium were in crimson and white.  There was not another AU fan close enough to speak to where me and my 3 brothers were sitting.  We were almost in fights at least twice.  We were smart enough to get out of there when Bama turned in over on downs with just minutes left - we knew we did not want to be in there when it was over.  

Smart move

On 5/11/2017 at 8:35 PM, augolf1716 said:

Lets have some fun where you at on this day. I was in Ocoee, Fl couldn't get to the game even thought I had tickets due to work. Down 14-5 come back to win. I love Tong Richardson by the way

Also I know a lot of you weren't even born but still it fun to watch

Was in Auburn, Alabama. At the game. 

On 5/12/2017 at 9:31 AM, aucanucktiger said:

The Auburn Nation's reaction to 1993 IMO epitomizes how different we are (in a good way) from the cross-state blowhards. If we had the West Vance or USC lobbying power, every media outlet would proclaim how we are retroactive 1993 National Champions, how many players belong on the SEC team of the century, etc. I love that we list our undefeated seasons rather than Bama-style dicey titles on Jordan Hare - it makes thoughtful observers scratch their head at Bama's 13 and our 12 undefeated seasons.    

Didn't the game get televised closed circuit TV at BD stadium? 

2 hours ago, jtauburntiger said:

Never mind. Question was answered. 

If someone can find a This much video of the 93 AU-Florida game I will owe them for life.

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

If someone can find a This much of the 93 AU-Florida game I will owe them for life.

Now that was a GREAT game!

I remember sitting in my room with my brother and a friend and listening to this game. IMO:

1. College football was so much more fun back then (maybe Im just old).

2. Tony Richardson and Reid Mcmillon at FB, with Bostic and Stephen Davis...that was a backfield that wasnt fun to tackle.

3. The 4th down play call on Nix's first play was Bowden's best play call at AU. 

4.I still miss Jim Fyffe, nothing against Bramblett.

5. I still dislike jay barker now as much as I did then. Always great to see him throw some picks against AU.

1 hour ago, VipersStrike1 said:

hqdefault.jpg

They had a hard time picking Bowden up back then, they wouldn't be able to budge him now.

I was in the student section, yelling like crazy. When Stan went down we all thought our chances of winning went down with him, but in came Nix and that perfect pass. Afterwards, we all went to Toomer's for some celebrating.

I had grown up a bama fan, but I followed my best friend down to the Plain to go to school. Any bammer that might have still been in me was utterly and completely destroyed that day.

I was in the Air Force stationed in Japan. The game was supposed to be broadcast on Armed Forces Radio. I think it was supposed to be joined in progress after an earlier game. I got up at something like 4am to listen to it, but for some unknown reason, a Notre Dame game was being broadcast instead. I remember they would give updates from the studio during the commercial breaks, and that is how I followed the game. When we made the Nix to Sanders TD, I knew we were going to win, I just sat there waiting on each update.

Archived