Auburn vs. Alabama 1993

augolf1716

I was there as a Senior in '93. That Miska safety on Barker is a play that has lodged in my memory ever since. I love that brief instant of recognition where a horrified Barker looks up and sees an Auburn walk-on about to blow him up. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, madkat7 said:

I was there as a Senior in '93. That Miska safety on Barker is a play that has lodged in my memory ever since. I love that brief instant of recognition where a horrified Barker looks up and sees an Auburn walk-on about to blow him up. 

My favorite Miska play was against one of the cupcakes.  One of their players took a cheap shot on one of our guys.  The very next play ended with Miska sitting on the offending player's chest explaining to him that those kinds of things don't happen in Jordan Hare when he's around.

On 5/15/2017 at 4:58 PM, VipersStrike1 said:

hqdefault.jpg

NWO...whether you like it , or you don't...it's the best thing goin today!

16 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

My favorite Miska play was against one of the cupcakes.  One of their players took a cheap shot on one of our guys.  The very next play ended with Miska sitting on the offending player's chest explaining to him that those kinds of things don't happen in Jordan Hare when he's around.

I heard lots of bad things about Miska when I was on campus, to include putting his hands on a woman and starting fights at bars. Then I went to the Locker Room one night (anyone?) and he was working the door. I was only 20 and didn't have a fake ID on me that night, but he gave me a 21-and-over wristband and told me to have fun. I'm still very conflicted about what his legacy means to me. 

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I heard lots of bad things about Miska when I was on campus, to include putting his hands on a woman and starting fights at bars. Then I went to the Locker Room one night (anyone?) and he was working the door. I was only 20 and didn't have a fake ID on me that night, but he gave me a 21-and-over wristband and told me to have fun. I'm still very conflicted about what his legacy means to me. 

Sucks to hear that (the first part). I think I'll stick to the legend since I never met him or knew anyone who talked about him. Sometimes it's better to be ignorant of certain things.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Sucks to hear that (the first part). I think I'll stick to the legend since I never met him or knew anyone who talked about him. Sometimes it's better to be ignorant of certain things.

Boy howdy, ain't it the truth.

7 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I heard he was mean. But got his ass kicked by a short stumpy redneck boy at a party once. 

I worked at the "Movies and Munchies" quick stop that used to be near Thach Hut laundry and Miska would come in all the time. He was friendly and didn't mind talking about football with us clerks. (the movie Clerks actually came out that same year. We had it running constantly behind the counter). He struck me as a "work, hard work" kind of guy that had to persevere to get his due. 

I was at the game with my dad.  Went bananas when Sanders caught that pass over Tommy Johnson.  It was such an incredible win.

On 5/16/2017 at 7:25 PM, Tigerfinz said:

NWO...whether you like it , or you don't...it's the best thing goin today!

For some reason I doubt they paid their royalties to the Naitch for the usage of that line.

i remember two things about the game. first is they say terry bowden was so nervous the team had to calm him down. and i do not remember why but i remember bostic grabbing stan whites face mask and appeared to chew his behind for some reason. as my memory is bad i have to hope i am right............will watch the replay later.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

i remember two things about the game. first is they say terry bowden was so nervous the team had to calm him down. and i do not remember why but i remember bostic grabbing stan whites face mask and appeared to chew his behind for some reason. as my memory is bad i have to hope i am right............will watch the replay later.

Good to see you around 50, been wondering where you had run off to.

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

they say terry bowden was so nervous the team had to calm him down.

I have an audio cassette documentary of him from that season. He said every game caused him to use the bathroom at least once before each game. Said the IB was a "nine bathroom game."

I recall how nervous I was before and during the game...undefeated season on the line. I can only imagine being a 1st-yr coach of that team.

16 hours ago, AUMASTERS said:

Good to see you around 50, been wondering where you had run off to.

i got discouraged posting. folks did not like to see stories from al.com when many days they were the only ones. i was just rying to help.then i was posting too many articles. then one of the admins suggested i altered each story to make it quick and to the point. that was too much for an old geezer like me. shorten the story. shorten the title. it just became to much and to be honest i am still disappointed.

Even though Coach Dye was out and stumpy was in the 1993 team may be my favorite AU team ever.  What they were able to accomplish was absolutely incredible.  I truly believe they could have found a way to beat just about any team in America that year.  I'll never forget listening to them on the radio that year.  Probably was the best job of calling games that Jim Fyffe ever did because it was like you were there.  I can still remember the spot I was sitting in listening to the Bama game that year like it was yesterday.  Very exciting and great memories!

On 5/20/2017 at 11:40 AM, aubiefifty said:

i got discouraged posting. folks did not like to see stories from al.com when many days they were the only ones. i was just rying to help.then i was posting too many articles. then one of the admins suggested i altered each story to make it quick and to the point. that was too much for an old geezer like me. shorten the story. shorten the title. it just became to much and to be honest i am still disappointed.

Me, too. I'll never understand why so many people's butts were chapped by you providing content when there wasn't any coming from anywhere else, but it was definitely butts plural, so there must have been something to it. 

It was fun while it lasted and I totally understand you stopping. 

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Me, too. I'll never understand why so many people's butts were chapped by you providing content when there wasn't any coming from anywhere else, but it was definitely butts plural, so there must have been something to it. 

I'll second this.

Thank You for your service, Mr. Fifty.

48 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'll third. Anyone who was giving you crap for just giving us stuff to read, @aubiefifty, is just looking for something to complain about.

taking a breather boys but i might start back. i do admit the admins were correct when they said i should add diff stories about the same person in the same thread. as far as being suspect if i go the that dreaded site i grew up on gay street in the summers at my grandparents. my dad played football for auburn one year and my mom her both her sisters attended auburn. it is said my grandfather taught horse back riding for the rotc at auburn but i have nothing but word of mouth and have yet to verify anything. the kicker is i did it for my auburn brethren....... some whom were not very brethren like. but pity party over.

Archived