Baseball vs LSU game 3

I see that 10  SEC  teams are now above us in the RPI rankings (AU 41) .....so you are saying that the tournament will take 11 teams from the SEC.  Auburn being the 11th?  

Guess I'm not so sure about that...and getting swept by a team with a 170 RPI is not going to sit well with some folks in NCAA land though the sweep by LSU is more understandable considering their RPI.......and perhaps we should be thankful there are no automatic slots like basketball that take up half the places. 

It would be nice to win a couple this weekend to make a better case for us to hang on to a 2 seed somewhere. 

To win this weekend, our top 2 pitchers will have to shut them down to under 3 runs i feel to win. I dont know Ole Miss pitching, but when you're in a slide this bad, even avg pitchers fare better. I see it all the time in the MLB too. 

THis team needs to get on top more...and the feeling will come back and so  the momentum. But they have been behind 90% of the time in this 7 game skid...

27 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I see that 10  SEC  teams are now above us in the RPI rankings (AU 41) .....so you are saying that the tournament will take 11 teams from the SEC.  Auburn being the 11th?  

Guess I'm not so sure about that...and getting swept by a team with a 170 RPI is not going to sit well with some folks in NCAA land though the sweep by LSU is more understandable considering their RPI.......and perhaps we should be thankful there are no automatic slots like basketball that take up half the places. 

It would be nice to win a couple this weekend to make a better case for us to hang on to a 2 seed somewhere. 

I think you are right 64. If we lose 2 this weekend and RPI continue to slide, then we will need a big time run in the SEC tournament to salvage postseason. While the SEC is a pretty good conference this year, I don't think it is a 10 or 11 teams NCAA tournament type conference. 

On 5/13/2017 at 4:11 PM, auburn4ever said:

When Auburn was winning and winning big, no one mentioned their age. But now that their losing 7 in a row, people are saying their just 18 to 22 year old kids. You can't have it both ways.

I have held my commentary regarding your posts as long as I can.  You have got to be the biggest dumbass this board has ever seen.  That's going some...seriously do you have a double digit IQ?  You should find some other group of 18-22 year olds who are much more to your liking. 

This just in: The bats belonging to the AU baseball and softball teams are for sale due to the fact that they did not get used this past weekend to hit baseballs and softballs. The bats are in pristine condition. See athletic dept. if interested.

What do we need to do to turn things around? 

Many on here have mentioned our issues with hitting the breaking ball. Is it realistic to fix this deficiency, or is it more of a fundamental aspect of baseball your just have to work through?

43 minutes ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

Many on here have mentioned our issues with hitting the breaking ball. Is it realistic to fix this deficiency, or is it more of a fundamental aspect of baseball your just have to work through?

While for some it is fixable, it is not something that happens very quickly. To me it is a lot of batting practice and recognizing pitches and spin as it leaves the pitchers hand. It has to become 2nd nature. If you have to think about it , the pitch is over and it is too late. So many curve balls end up out of the strike zone. You have to have the ability to lay off those that are not going to be strikes and let the pitcher get behind and have to throw a fast ball. I am a little disappointed that we have so many players at this level that struggle with it. Some people never get it and just can't hit a curve. All this is just my opinion and very general baseball knowledge. There may be others here that know how to fix this quickly.

51 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

While for some it is fixable, it is not something that happens very quickly. To me it is a lot of batting practice and recognizing pitches and spin as it leaves the pitchers hand. It has to become 2nd nature. If you have to think about it , the pitch is over and it is too late. So many curve balls end up out of the strike zone. You have to have the ability to lay off those that are not going to be strikes and let the pitcher get behind and have to throw a fast ball. I am a little disappointed that we have so many players at this level that struggle with it. Some people never get it and just can't hit a curve. All this is just my opinion and very general baseball knowledge. There may be others here that know how to fix this quickly.

Thanks for the input. 

I just don't want to believe that we're pretty much screwed as a team now because suddenly our opponents have figured out our kryptonite to the breaking ball.

4 minutes ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

Thanks for the input. 

I just don't want to believe that we're pretty much screwed as a team now because suddenly our opponents have figured out our kryptonite to the breaking ball.

It's definitely a problem....and not just with AU.  Keegan has made people look silly with his curve most of the year up until he has had trouble with control and not able to keep it down in the zone.   Not all college pitchers can throw a good curve consistently...which is a good thing for hitters but we've run into a couple guys who were able to command the strike zone and keep the ball down.... and our hitters...batters just could not lay off of it and swung at balls they had chance of hitting ...and took strikes right in the zone...probably expecting them to drop.   A couple posts above, 80 Tiger has some good points about identifying the pitches better.  

JMO but patience is the biggest factor in dealing with the curve....but that's just how I see it.....

On 5/13/2017 at 2:58 PM, SCTiger2011 said:

All due respect, Belle, but I'm hoping a bunch of 18-22 year old guys have the mental fortitude to let last week motivate them instead of breaking them.  RPI quickly moving south out of the regional lock zone to "bubble zone."  

Hmmm...could have sworn you gave me grief last week about saying we could be headed there.... weird 

18 hours ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

Here's an old, old baseball joke from an old, old baseball player/coach/manager. Rookie kid in class A baseball writes his first letter home: "Mom, don't let Jimmy have my room yet. The pitchers are starting to throw curve balls to me."

It's not a simple thing that can be 'fixed" very quickly. The key is that the hitter has to learn to recognize in which situations a curve is likely coming and then study an individual pitcher enough to pick up tiny differences in how the ball looks coming out of the pitcher's hand. Remember, a major leaguer that fails 70% of the time is considered to be an excellent hitter.

On 5/14/2017 at 8:51 AM, AU64 said:

How many of this teams have 14 conference wins? 

On 5/15/2017 at 8:33 PM, FoundationEagle said:

Hmmm...could have sworn you gave me grief last week about saying we could be headed there.... weird 

I did, and I would again.  Your conclusion 2 games into a 7 game slide was more dumb luck than anything, unless you want to tell me you foresaw the 5 Ls after it too, then I guess you're Nostradamus.  Seeing it turn into a 7 game slide becomes more of a trend than an anomaly. But, fine, take your victory lap, it won't hurt my feelings any.

11 hours ago, SCTiger2011 said:

I did, and I would again.  Your conclusion 2 games into a 7 game slide was more dumb luck than anything, unless you want to tell me you foresaw the 5 Ls after it too, then I guess you're Nostradamus.  Seeing it turn into a 7 game slide becomes more of a trend than an anomaly. But, fine, take your victory lap, it won't hurt my feelings any.

Middle of losing the 3rd in a 3 game skid to the worst team in the conference...doesn't take Nostradamus to predict the better teams coming up on our schedule would be tougher to beat than the worst team on our schedule. Also, I only said Im not sure we will deserve to play in a regional, not that we would lose the next 4

18 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

How many of this teams have 14 conference wins? 

Might end up with seven or eight . I guess that number could be used as a cut off....but the PTBs seem pretty wedded  to the RPI system.  Ole Miss has an opportunity to jump over us this weekend and a series lost to them would not be good nor would our finish of the season.

Archived