Softball vs. lsu -SEC tournament

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grounder to 3rd, throw goes to 2nd to get the lead runner, not in time to get McCrackin at 1st.     2 outs, Runner on 1st.   Draper up.

Not a great day for AU vs LSU but on the softball side of  things, I don't see this affecting anything going forward as far as the NCAA playoff is concerned.  

Would have been nice to have three-peat...but this team has too many weak spots and just can't afford to give away ANY runs due to errors....physical or mental.

Time for them to gather themselves up and get ready for the run toward Oklahoma City.

Draper grounds to 2nd and that's the game.  Auburn falls 6-0 and will await the NCAA Selection show tomorrow night.

27 minutes ago, saminbama said:

I'm wondering if that arm injury is playing a part in this.  She's not swinging at any inside pitches.

I think that is a guarantee 

That's as bad as I've ever seen Auburn look in the field.  That's what we make other teams do. Congrats to LSU and Ole Miss, well played.  Are they building a new stadium there in Knoxville?  I hope so.  We don't play worth a damn in this one.

I'll be shocked if we make it back to Oklahoma City. We just don't have the bats this season in my opinion. Either way it's been a great run so far.

5 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

I'll be shocked if we make it back to Oklahoma City. We just don't have the bats this season in my opinion. Either way it's been a great run so far.

Agree. Losing Snow was a big, big blow to the offense. Hope the Snow sisters can come in and breathe life into the offense somehow. 

24 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Agree. Losing Snow was a big, big blow to the offense. Hope the Snow sisters can come in and breathe life into the offense somehow. 

Yes , that was certainly a problem but Rivera has been a pleasant surprise for the second half of the season . Unfortunately many of our returning players just can't seem to hit SEC quality pitching.

Clint has shuffled people around looking for some hitters with not much result ...and the opposition just pitches around Cooper . 

And of course, there is the problem with the Auburn defense that is next to the bottom in the league. 

It is amazing team has gotten as far as it has and the season is still not over. We may not make it to Oklahoma City but the team is still among the best in college softball. 

Never say never. I have had enough of the corndogs for a long time.  I hope our baseball team can get it together and go deep or maybe win the SEC tourney.

9 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Never say never. I have had enough of the corndogs for a long time.  I hope our baseball team can get it together and go deep or maybe win the SEC tourney.

I as well young Padawon 

I think Coach will just have to decide we aren't going to get much, if any, offensive production out of 2nd base and settle on McCrackin there. She makes plays in the field and her range is much better. Even the drop against Florida was an exceptional effort. it looks like neither one of them is going to get hits anyway.

Other teams walk Cooper a lot because it's better for them if Cooper doesn't swing the bat. I suppose the injury is having some effect, but yesterday LSU challenged Cooper and she hardly took the bat off her shoulder the whole game. We can't stand her getting called out at the plate without her even taking her cuts.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I think Coach will just have to decide we aren't going to get much, if any, offensive production out of 2nd base and settle on McCrackin there. She makes plays in the field and her range is much better. Even the drop against Florida was an exceptional effort. it looks like neither one of them is going to get hits anyway.

Other teams walk Cooper a lot because it's better for them if Cooper doesn't swing the bat. I suppose the injury is having some effect, but yesterday LSU challenged Cooper and she hardly took the bat off her shoulder the whole game. We can't stand her getting called out at the plate without her even taking her cuts.

In regards to the situation at 2nd base, I'm really surprised we haven't seen Whitney Jordan get some playing time there.  Most middle infielders can play both positions.  When Fagan came back to short full time, I really expected Jordan to get at least some playing time at 2nd.   She's not going to hit .350, but she has proven when she is in the lineup she can get some hits and has power to go with that.  She went from starting at short last year to barely playing at all this season.  I realize the coach has probably gone over this and probably even tried it in practice and for whatever reason he just felt it wouldn't work.   

The same could be said for the position in left field.   Greenwood and Podany have shared that position most of the season, but neither has brought it to the plate and delivered much help there.  A report came out at the beginning of spring practices that Whitney Jordan was working exclusively in left field.   Then when the season starts she's in right and now out of the lineup.   I know in practices everybody is getting their turns for sure and we never see what happens in practice, but over the years,  I can't recall ever seeing Sydne Waldrop playing in the outfield (unless she got in very late in a blowout game).   Seems Waldrop is only used to pinch run.   Waldrop has a total of 2 at bats. 

I would also like to have seen Jenna Abbott get in the lineup at the DP spot more often.

Looking ahead for a brief moment to next season.  If everything works out with Tannon Snow, we should see her at 3rd base and her sister Taylon (nations #1 ranked player) will be a strong candidate to take over one of the middle infield positions.  Possible we see Tannon at 3rd, Jordan at short (unless someone else steps up) and Taylon at 2nd, with Veach remaining at 1st.  Really hoping the light will come on for Justus Perry as well.    Right field is locked down with Alyssa Rivera stepping up as the season has progressed.   The more she plays the better she's going to be. 

Looking at pics from the Softball Banquet last night, Whitney Jordan was in the group of "seniors" that got their jerseys. Cooper, Abbott, Waldrop, Fagan, Gipson and Jordan.

I expected her to return. Maybe she decided if she didn't play now, she won't play next year? I think we'll miss her.

On 5/14/2017 at 8:11 AM, Mikey said:

I figure having Cooper bat was a bluff by CCM...expecting LSU to automatically walk her.  They must have figured out that she could not swing the bat after her first at bat...so just threw strikes....best pitches she saw all season...and nothing she could do.

On 2017-05-14 at 10:25 AM, WarTiger said:

In regards to the situation at 2nd base, I'm really surprised we haven't seen Whitney Jordan get some playing time there.  Most middle infielders can play both positions.  When Fagan came back to short full time, I really expected Jordan to get at least some playing time at 2nd.   She's not going to hit .350, but she has proven when she is in the lineup she can get some hits and has power to go with that.  She went from starting at short last year to barely playing at all this season.  I realize the coach has probably gone over this and probably even tried it in practice and for whatever reason he just felt it wouldn't work.   

The same could be said for the position in left field.   Greenwood and Podany have shared that position most of the season, but neither has brought it to the plate and delivered much help there.  A report came out at the beginning of spring practices that Whitney Jordan was working exclusively in left field.   Then when the season starts she's in right and now out of the lineup.   I know in practices everybody is getting their turns for sure and we never see what happens in practice, but over the years,  I can't recall ever seeing Sydne Waldrop playing in the outfield (unless she got in very late in a blowout game).   Seems Waldrop is only used to pinch run.   Waldrop has a total of 2 at bats. 

I would also like to have seen Jenna Abbott get in the lineup at the DP spot more often.

Looking ahead for a brief moment to next season.  If everything works out with Tannon Snow, we should see her at 3rd base and her sister Taylon (nations #1 ranked player) will be a strong candidate to take over one of the middle infield positions.  Possible we see Tannon at 3rd, Jordan at short (unless someone else steps up) and Taylon at 2nd, with Veach remaining at 1st.  Really hoping the light will come on for Justus Perry as well.    Right field is locked down with Alyssa Rivera stepping up as the season has progressed.   The more she plays the better she's going to be. 

11 hours ago, 35Rem said:

Looking at pics from the Softball Banquet last night, Whitney Jordan was in the group of "seniors" that got their jerseys. Cooper, Abbott, Waldrop, Fagan, Gipson and Jordan.

I expected her to return. Maybe she decided if she didn't play now, she won't play next year? I think we'll miss her.

Jordan imo got a fair shot and is just not good enough to play anywhere unfortunately - she started almost every game last year (her best year) and batted .228 with an OBP of .320 and a SLG% of .411, and was much much worse this year in 44 ABs (.114/.220/.295), and her fielding percentage this year is .813!!! Podany at least draws a ton of walks, and is also batting about a hundred points higher.

I do feel bad that Waldrop never really got a shot in her 4 years here, hopefully she knew that was likely coming in. At this point Myers probably figures it's smarter to give youngers players the experience.

I agree re: Jenna Abbott, I think she can probably a little more hitting value than Shea.

It looks like we have 2 legit middle infielders coming in in addition to Taylon Snow (Makenna Dowell (Suwanee, Ga./North Gwinnett), Mackenzie Nutt (Madison, Ala./Sparkman) ). My guess is Tannon at 3rd, Taylon at SS, Nutt at 2nd and Veach at 1st. Draper, Rivera and incoming freshman Livy Schiele in the OF.

1 hour ago, wildling said:

Jordan imo got a fair shot and is just not good enough to play anywhere unfortunately - she started almost every game last year (her best year) and batted .228 with an OBP of .320 and a SLG% of .411, and was much much worse this year in 44 ABs (.114/.220/.295), and her fielding percentage this year is .813!!! Podany at least draws a ton of walks, and is also batting about a hundred points higher.

I never said she didn't get a fair shot.  I said it was odd that she was said to be working exclusively in left field in practices then when games started, she's in right before she was pulled from the lineup entirely.    I also noted that she isn't likely to hit .350 but her average last year at .228 is still higher than the two that have shared left field all season.  I like that Podany/Greenwood have gotten on base more with the walks, but there's also the strikeouts, which are pretty much a wash.  Comparing one players numbers from one year to the next with the MAJOR drop off in opportunities just doesn't carry any weight.   Everybody knows its a whole lot easier to establish consistency at the plate with consistent opportunities.   Very difficult to come off the bench after sitting for 4-5 innings (or more) and be expected to deliver consistently.   Interesting that you singled out Podany and didn't mention Greenwood since they have shared left field all season.     I also find it interesting that you don't mention the RBI's either.   Podany and Greenwood combined for SEVEN RBI all season.   Jordan had 39 last year and in a season like this where run production is down, those are pretty significant.  I guess you didn't use them because they countered your stance. :lol:    The bottom line is we need more consistency from that position as well as a few others.  Perhaps it was a decision based mostly on defense and Podany and Greenwood just played that position a little better.  

46 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

I never said she didn't get a fair shot.  I said it was odd that she was said to be working exclusively in left field in practices then when games started, she's in right before she was pulled from the lineup entirely.    I also noted that she isn't likely to hit .350 but her average last year at .228 is still higher than the two that have shared left field all season.  I like that Podany/Greenwood have gotten on base more with the walks, but there's also the strikeouts, which are pretty much a wash.  Comparing one players numbers from one year to the next with the MAJOR drop off in opportunities just doesn't carry any weight.   Everybody knows its a whole lot easier to establish consistency at the plate with consistent opportunities.   Very difficult to come off the bench after sitting for 4-5 innings (or more) and be expected to deliver consistently.   Interesting that you singled out Podany and didn't mention Greenwood since they have shared left field all season.     I also find it interesting that you don't mention the RBI's either.   Podany and Greenwood combined for SEVEN RBI all season.   Jordan had 39 last year and in a season like this where run production is down, those are pretty significant.  I guess you didn't use them because they countered your stance. :lol:    The bottom line is we need more consistency from that position as well as a few others.  Perhaps it was a decision based mostly on defense and Podany and Greenwood just played that position a little better.  

Jordan started 8 of the first 9 games and sucked, that's the bottom line. She got another chance later in the season, starting 8 of 10 and still sucked.

I didn't use RBIs because they are a terrible stat. Draper has 6 in about the same number of ABs as Podany+Greenwood, should we pull her?

If your only argument is that Jordan's batting average last year is marginally higher than CG+MP's this year, I don't know what to tell you. WJ is batting .114 this, and her career mark is .196.

Bottom line....there is /was no good answer on the offensive side. Rivera kept the outfield from being a total loss this year....JMO.

I don't have a dog in yalls discussion ... but I'm thought I'd throw out there the lower batting average across the sec this year.  Isn't it something like 40 points lower this year?  It doesn't completely account for specific players numbers but it is a universal issue

16 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

I don't have a dog in yalls discussion ... but I'm thought I'd throw out there the lower batting average across the sec this year.  Isn't it something like 40 points lower this year?  It doesn't completely account for specific players numbers but it is a universal issue

Well....we've done our share to bring it down....but your are right,... there has been talk about the lower BAs and also about the better pitching with teams developing stronger pitching staffs too.   So looks like a combination of factors.

One interesting thing to me is that Cooper did have a hit Thursday against Kentucky. I wonder if she tried everything out, but saw that it was hurting/she needs more recovery time and decided to take it easy/decoy against LSU. At the banquet Sunday, Clint mentioned that Casey Myers was throwing to Coop on Sunday. 

54 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

It's down 10 points per the SEC website.

Archived