Spotlight on Nate Craig-Myers

StatTiger

Based on his evaluation coming out of high school and his athletic abilities, Nate Craig-Myers has the potential to be Auburn's next "star" wide receiver. Auburn has never been a football program associated with great wide receiver play. Occasionally, there have been a few players who have risen to stardom at the wide receiver position but they have been few and far between. During the last 70 years of Auburn football, there have been eleven 50-reception seasons by an individual. There have been ten seasons with a receiver having 800+ yards in receiving during a season. There have been twelve seasons with a receiver catching at least 7 TD receptions during a season. There have been only seven wide receivers to accomplish all three goals during the same season. Once again, Nate Craig-Myers has the potential to reach all three goals during 2017. 

The Play...

photo A-Day Nate Craig-Myers_zpsnes9zcuf.jpg

During this play the offense faces a 1st & 20 after a holding penalty. The offense comes out in a 1 back set with 3-WR's and the TE on the line. Coach Chris Lindsey calls a pass play with Nate Craig-Myers running a route towards the middle of the field. At the snap, Malik Willis has the time to work through his progressions. Nate Craig-Myers and John Franklin III run overlapping routes to confuse the secondary and to create separation.

Nate Craig-Myers runs a semi-drag route over the middle of the field, over the LB''s and underneath safety support. Malik Willis resets his feet before targeting Nate Craig-Myers, placing his pass to the outside shoulder of his receiver. The location of the pass allows Nate Craig-Myers to turn up field quickly in front of the defender over top. He utilizes his athletic skills to maneuver around three possible defenders to pick up 16-yards on the play.

His physical build and his skill set reminds me of former All-Pro, Michael Irvin of the Dallas Cowboys. Irvin had decent speed but his strongest attributes were his route running, his ability to catch the ball at the highest point and his physical presence after becoming a runner with the football. Irvin had the knack of coming up with the reception during "clutch" situations, something Auburn needs for Nate Craig-Myers to become.

• Like 7

I hate that we just wasted him last year.  As he showed in the spring game, the kid is a stud and is going to be fun to watch as Chip implements a real passing attack.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

I hate that we just wasted him last year.  As he showed in the spring game, the kid is a stud and is going to be fun to watch as Chip implements a real passing attack.  

It seemed like he was wasted but he had a couple of lingering injuries that prevented him from being able to play to his capabilities. Hoping this year turns around for him and the passing game. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I think NCM will be our #1 WR this year.  

I'm actually more excited that we might not have a #1 receiver and defenses aren't going to be able to focus on a single player. I think Ds are going to have to focus on Meyers and K. Davis, leaving any one of our other receivers or backs to get open.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I'm actually more excited that we might not have a #1 receiver and defenses aren't going to be able to focus on a single player. I think Ds are going to have to focus on Meyers and K. Davis, leaving any one of our other receivers or backs to get open.

Add TE's to that also.

• Like 1

I can't wait to watch Nate Craig-Myers and Kyle Davis catching long passes from Jerrett Stidham. It's going to be so awesome.

16 hours ago, ClarkGriswold said:

He appears to me to have really big and soft hands.  Its almost like his hands swallow the ball when he catches it. 

You serious, Clark?