Hastings using new "breakthrough" helmet design

Noticed a post on reddit.com/r/nfl about a new helmet design call the Vicis Zero1 being allowed for use in the NFL. When I saw the helmet design, I couldn't help bu think I had seen it before. Re-watched the spring game, and sure enough, it appears that Will Hastings was wearing the new design.

5232865.JPG

vicis-zero1-helmet.jpg

Pretty cool detail I hadn't noticed before. Also explains why the helmet looked about 4 sizes too big.

Thanks for the post.

the article at the link is very interesting . I wonder what the cost of this new helmet is ? Also wondering if this is optional with individual players . 

I can only imagine how much that helmet costs.  I just bought my son the Riddell Speed Flex, which is what Stidham is wearing.  It was considered to be the top on the market.  IT retails for a little over $400 without the upgraded chin strap or face mask.  

1 minute ago, tgr4lfe said:

I can only imagine how much that helmet costs.  I just bought my son the Riddell Speed Flex, which is what Stidham is wearing.  It was considered to be the top on the market.  IT retails for a little over $400 without the upgraded chin strap or face mask.  

Orange face mask..?  Available option ?

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Orange face mask..?  Available option ?

I have no idea.  I ordered through his school coach with high school colors.  

5 minutes ago, tgr4lfe said:

I have no idea.  I ordered through his school coach with high school colors.  

Is it normal for family to provide helmets?

I noticed too..looked like he was going to topple over at anytime wearing it.But hey..anything to protect him more with how small he is.

I was curious about that helmet too, only thing is, I wish they would make it smaller so it doesn't look like he's about to tip over. Lol

9 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I was curious about that helmet too, only thing is, I wish they would make it smaller so it doesn't look like he's about to tip over. Lol

funny looking but according to the manufacturer, weight of the basic helmet is same as the Ridell Speedflex so that should not be a problem but I worry about wind resistance for guys where speed is an issue....does not look very aerodynamic.:-\

34 minutes ago, AU64 said:

funny looking but according to the manufacturer, weight of the basic helmet is same as the Ridell Speedflex so that should not be a problem but I worry about wind resistance for guys where speed is an issue....does not look very aerodynamic.:-\

With Hastings' size I'm scared that if he stands still the wind will blow him over with that helmet on. Lol

They say everything is bigger in Texas. I guess this is proof of that. 

cowboys-fans2-600x600.jpg

3 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

Weebles wobble, but they don't fall down. :jump:

12 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

With Hastings' size I'm scared that if he stands still the wind will blow him over with that helmet on. Lol

Looking at the specs for the helmet, all I could think is "he barely qualifies for the 150 lb minimum weight to wear it."

20 hours ago, AU64 said:

Is it normal for family to provide helmets?

The school does provide them, but it's almost always going to be an older helmet.  We just wanted to get the best one we could afford.  Our son saved up and coughed up 1/3 of the price.

16 minutes ago, tgr4lfe said:

The school does provide them, but it's almost always going to be an older helmet.  We just wanted to get the best one we could afford.  Our son saved up and coughed up 1/3 of the price.

Much respect for going above and beyond for your kid's health. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Much respect for going above and beyond for your kid's health. 

More so for others protection as he becomes a head hunter from the OLB position.  ;-)

Thanks, definitely concerned about trying to limit concussions as much as possible for his sake and longevity in the game as he as aspirations to play at the collegiate level.  

59 minutes ago, tgr4lfe said:

Like the shared expense....my kids paid 1/3rd to about 1/2 of anything serious  they bought when they were teens...all the logo stuff.   Made them really think about how much they wanted the item.  They of course complained that other parents paid the whole thing....and funny now they have applied that same practice to our grand kids...who blame me for getting it started.  :)

What about neck injury? The whole reason the shell is hard in the first place is to deflect blows. If the shell deforms, the impacting object is able to apply more torque to the neck about the spinal column. 

15 hours ago, bigsixfive said:

What about neck injury? The whole reason the shell is hard in the first place is to deflect blows. If the shell deforms, the impacting object is able to apply more torque to the neck about the spinal column. 

The point of the design is the deformation of the shell takes the energy away from the hit so there isn't anything to transfer to the neck. It absorbs the blow vs trying to deflect it, which still passes on all of the energy from the part of the blow that isn't deflected.

It works like crumple zones in a car.  The objective is to burn off all of the energy by doing all of the damage BEFORE said energy from the blow can get to what is being protected.

It's not going to do much more to protect the neck from a helmet to face mask or ear hole kind of hit, but it should do a lot for crown to crown, shoulder to crown, and the like kind of hits. It also should dramatically reduce concussion risk for any blow to the head.

Archived