Null

aubiefifty

Dye on SEC Divisions

saturdaydownsouth.com

Pat Dye on 'Finebaum': Auburn and Missouri need to switch divisions

USATSI_9672298-718x490.jpg

Former Auburn coach Pat Dye and Paul Finebaum revived a popular offseason topic on Monday: SEC divisions.

During his appearance on “The Paul Finebaum Show,” Dye advocated for two Tigers teams switching divisions. He believes Auburn belongs in the SEC East while Missouri should play in the SEC West.

Geographically, Dye makes sense, and he’s far from the first person to suggest the Tiger swap. Missouri is much closer to Arkansas and the Mississippi schools than it is Florida, Georgia and South Carolina. Auburn already has the current rivalry with Georgia, and shares borders with Florida and Tennessee.

The problem, however, comes to Alabama’s rivalries and the eight-game conference schedule. The current arrangement allows the Crimson Tide to maintain it’s two biggest rivalries, The Third Saturday in October and the Iron Bowl. Under the current eight conference game arrangement of six games against division foes, one permanent rival from the opposite division and one rotating opponent from the opposite division, UA would not be able to play both Auburn and Tennessee every year if both teams were in the SEC East.

Three Power 5 conferences – Big Ten, Big 12 and Pac-12 – currently play nine-game conference schedules. If the SEC were to adopt a nine-game conference schedule, one would think the Auburn/Missouri switch might be made as teams could adopt a second permanent rival from the opposite division. Until then, it appears unlikely that any shuffling will occur in the SEC for Dye to get his wish.

49bff8475880792d15c5d799bc2b1220?s=50&d=

A lifelong Gainesville resident, Andrew reports on the Florida Gators from The Swamp and covers the rest of the SEC on the SDS news desk. Connect with Andrew via

email

Twitter

or

Facebook

• Like 2

Of course most of us agree with Dye but the real way to get the conference alignment changed is for Saban to suggest it. Then it might have a real chance. :-\  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gr82be said:

Of course most of us agree with Dye but the real way to get the conference alignment changed is for Saban to suggest it. Then it might have a real chance. :-\  

Unfortunately, you're probably right.

9 hours ago, gr82be said:

I refuse to like this post, but you are absolutely right. 😡

forgot to say my two cents worth. i am against it. why? i will be damned if i ever give the tide a chance to call auburn cowards and we know what kind of beating we will take on this if it ever happened. and i freely admit it probably would be a good idea except...........bama. in the past few years bama fans have tea bagged an lsu guy, poisoned an auburn fellows hamburger with rat poison because he refused to remove his auburn hat putting him in the hospital, and of course the poisoning of our trees. we might not beat the turds as much as i like but i will not run from them. ever.

The Big 12 has 9 teams, the Big 10 has 12, so logic follows that SEC teams in the East should be in the West and teams in the West should be in the East. Don't mess with the natural order of things. 😼

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

forgot to say my two cents worth. i am against it. why? i will be damned if i ever give the tide a chance to call auburn cowards and we know what kind of beating we will take on this if it ever happened. and i freely admit it probably would be a good idea except...........bama. in the past few years bama fans have tea bagged an lsu guy, poisoned an auburn fellows hamburger with rat poison because he refused to remove his auburn hat putting him in the hospital, and of course the poisoning of our trees. we might not beat the turds as much as i like but i will not run from them. ever.

I'll see your two cents and I'll raise you my two cents. :) I wouldn't want the move if it meant not playing UAT every year either. Wanting the change doesn't make Auburn a coward. Bama can elect to play Auburn each year and forego the UT game if they choose. I would like to see us play UT and Florida again annually. Nothing cowardly about that. The East isn't made up of Vandy and Kentucky only. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, gr82be said:

Saban suggested/pushed for a 9 game conference schedule several years ago.  The SEC put it up for a vote a couple of times at the SEC meetings and every team with the exception of uat voted against it.  

Why would the conference want a 9 game SEC schedule now and not then?  What's changed that would sway everyone's opinion from what NS tried to get a few years ago?

27 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I'll see your two cents and I'll raise you my two cents. :) I wouldn't want the move if it meant not playing UAT every year either. Wanting the change doesn't make Auburn a coward. Bama can elect to play Auburn each year and forego the UT game if they choose. I would like to see us play UT and Florida again annually. Nothing cowardly about that. The East isn't made up of Vandy and Kentucky only. 

Frankly, I don't want to just give UAT the West on a silver platter.   They've won the West 6 out of the last 10 years, but Auburn is one of the only programs in the division to challenge them and put up some resistance.  

Geographically AU belongs in the East with Mizzou in the West, but dang I don't want it to appear we are tucking tail and running to the East and by doing so making UAT & LSU's job exponentially easier.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, gr82be said:

It would make almost zero sense to play Bama in the iron bowl and then turn around and play them again in the SEC championship. I know it has happened before due to intercrossing of divisional of foes , but hardly a norm.

18 minutes ago, keesler said:

Saban suggested/pushed for a 9 game conference schedule several years ago.  The SEC put it up for a vote a couple of times at the SEC meetings and every team with the exception of uat voted against it.  

Why would the conference want a 9 game SEC schedule now and not then?  What's changed that would sway everyone's opinion from what NS tried to get a few years ago?

You took my post more seriously than intended but to answer your question they wouldn't want it now either probably because they would have to go home and home with an SEC opponent to instead of scheduling a smaller school and having the revenue from that game every year.

Perhaps a better solution would be to have Auburn AND Alabama move to the SEC East and move Mizzou and Vandy to the West.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

Perhaps a better solution would be to have Auburn AND Alabama move to the SEC East and move Mizzou and Vandy to the West.

It would allow both teams to keep their traditional rivalry games. 

2 hours ago, triangletiger said:

I'm surprised this is the first time I'm hearing of this. Good idea.

I also think if we moved divisions in, say, 5 years when Bama's run is in the rear-view it wouldn't be viewed as we're running away. But right now it just has that feel to it.

Auburn shouldn't do anything one way or the other because of bama, on any subject. Auburn should do what is best for Auburn. Switch divisions if we want to and let bama worry about how to schedule their own games. It makes sense for us to be in the East and play Florida, Georgia and Tennessee every year like we use to. Quite frankly, if we were to play bama earlier in the year or even every other year it would be just fine.

• Like 9

I'd much rather travel to the East campuses than the west campuses.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, triangletiger said:

Intriguing....but man would that make the East a tough division with Auburn, Alabama, Florida, Tennessee and Georgia.  And a cake walk for LSU or aTm in the West (similar to Florida these past few years).  Heck in that weak of a west division Big Burt and the hogs might even win a division championship.

At least now the West is AU/US/LSU and a sprinkle of aTM with the East being UF/UGA/Tenn and sprinkle of either rmizzou USCe

• Like 2

Why don't we just scratch the geographical arrangements, such as East/ West?  The teams all travel to each other anyways within the footprint.  I just don't see it making it much of a difference.  My thoughts are below with the permanent opponent across from each other. I think this keeps things balanced and most of the rivalries in tact.  While I will miss the LSU series every year, sacrifices have to be made unfortunately. The only toss-up for permament is ARK and AM.  I think you could switch those. 

Division A:                              Division B:
Auburn                                    Georgia
Alabama                                  LSU
Tennessee                              Florida
Kentucky                                 Texas AM
South Carolina                        Missouri
Ole Miss                                  Miss State
Vandy                                      Arkansas

Edited by AUBwins
Although I would still like to play Florida more
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, IronMan70 said:

Auburn shouldn't do anything one way or the other because of bama, on any subject. Auburn should do what is best for Auburn. Switch divisions if we want to and let bama worry about how to schedule their own games. It makes sense for us to be in the East and play Florida, Georgia and Tennessee every year like we use to. Quite frankly, if we were to play bama earlier in the year or even every other year it would be just fine.

Wholeheartedly agree with this.  Auburn should not be defined by what uat thinks or does.  I know its an unpopular view but I have thought for a long time that not playing them every year would help AU folks see that their season should not be defined by that one game. 

• Like 2

Well it's not like AU can just decide to move to the East. The easy thing to do is just leave it as is and I imagine that's what'll happen. 

IMO the only way this will happen is if we expand to include oklahoma and oklahoma state. if that happens we will realign and I bet MSST, UAT, and AU will move to the East. That would cause Mizz and both of the Oklahoma schools to go to the West. We would also have to require an extra conference game each year like the other conferences.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, triangletiger said:

Is there any possible way to make the divisions more unbalanced than to put 5 of the historically "Big 6" teams in the same division?

Auburn will have to man up and take on UGA/UA/UT/UF/USC/UK in our own division.

While LSU gets to duke it out in weekly pillow fights vs Arky/MSU/Vandy/Mizzou/OleMiss/aTm.

May as well hand the SEC title to LSU every dang year, they will be healthy, rested and ready to kick ass in the SECCG come December with a cream puff SEC schedule that weak.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GBAU83 said:

Intriguing....but man would that make the East a tough division with Auburn, Alabama, Florida, Tennessee and Georgia.  And a cake walk for LSU or aTm in the West (similar to Florida these past few years).  Heck in that weak of a west division Big Burt and the hogs might even win a division championship.

At least now the West is AU/US/LSU and a sprinkle of aTM with the East being UF/UGA/Tenn and sprinkle of either rmizzou USCe

+1

Teams that have never been contenders for the conference let alone top ranked teams would emerge out of the West while Auburn is left to scrape and fight tooth 'n nail in a loaded East.  I promise the injuries this team has endured in the last couple of years would multiply exponentially if we were facing UT/USC/UF/UGA/UAT compared to LSU getting MIzzou/Vandy/OleMiss/MSU/Arky.

7 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

IMO the only way this will happen is if we expand to include oklahoma and oklahoma state. if that happens we will realign and I bet MSST, UAT, and AU will move to the East. That would cause Mizz and both of the Oklahoma schools to go to the West. We would also have to require an extra conference game each year like the other conferences.

Expansion adds further complications, and I can't imagine the SEC hungering after the TV markets and recruiting territories of OK.

If it occurs, I suspect it will go the other way.

1 minute ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Expansion adds further complications, and I can't imagine the SEC hungering after the TV markets and recruiting territories of OK.

If it occurs, I suspect it will go the other way.

OK teams don't bring much to the SEC.  And nothing's happening to the OK teams anyway until the GOR expires in 2025.