Dye on SEC Divisions

aubiefifty

On 5/16/2017 at 9:00 AM, gr82be said:

I'll see your two cents and I'll raise you my two cents. :) I wouldn't want the move if it meant not playing UAT every year either. Wanting the change doesn't make Auburn a coward. Bama can elect to play Auburn each year and forego the UT game if they choose. I would like to see us play UT and Florida again annually. Nothing cowardly about that. The East isn't made up of Vandy and Kentucky only. 

Well, there ya' go...

Auburn is FORCED to change divisions.

Bama is the one forced to CHOOSE.

If the turds choose UTk, then who are the cowards now?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/16/2017 at 2:02 PM, gravejd said:

It'll go to a vote in a couple of months in Destin.  We'll see how much sway Auburn has in this conference and we'll see how many backers we have after the members cast their vote.

13 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

It makes geographical sense. I don't give two hoots what any bammers would say. I have an Auburn diploma and the majority of them just have HS diplomas. What they say about Auburn doesn't hold any water. 

You and I both know most of them didn't finish high school.

2 hours ago, keesler said:

It'll go to a vote in a couple of months in Destin.  We'll see how much sway Auburn has in this conference and we'll see how many backers we have after the members cast their vote.

"Malzahn doesn't have any actual pull. This is just one man's opinion. There are way too many steps that would need to be taken for this to go from offseason fodder to an actual piece of legislation to be voted on...Still, it's one of those silly storylines that has just enough support somewhere to stay alive. As such, it will likely be brought up again this time next year ... and the year after that ... and the year after that."[http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/here-are-the-pros-and-cons-of-what-auburn-moving-to-the-sec-east-would-mean/] 

Here is the thing. I don't think they will do a one for one trade. Part of the beauty of the Iron bowl is that it is played one time a year. If Auburn were to go to the east, UAT stays in the west, they become our every year. How many times over the last 6 years do you think we play UAT in the Iron bowl and then turn around and play them again in the SEC championship? I bet that number is pretty high because the east has been down. Thats why I said I think the only way this happens is if there is an expansion to include 2 more teams. I could see a realignment where both UAT and Aub go to the east as a possibility but don't think it is likely. The Iron Bowl brings in too much to take the chance that it could be played twice a year.

its not just bama in the way, 3 teams in the east UF, UGA and Tenn told silve not to move auburn to the east. Those 3 east teams are real road blocks

• 2 weeks later...

Update, Reader’s Digest version.

“…Former Tigers coach Pat Dye started it, and while Dye remains very connected at Auburn, it still sounded like something to pass the hours before the first kickoff in August. At least it did until Thursday, when Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs went on the radio before a speaking engagement in Mobile and said the move sounded like a great idea…How would traditional rivalries be affected? That’s the part where this would really please Auburn and tick off Alabama…These are the arguments that will dominate should the SEC ever decide to recalibrate its divisions, but Auburn seems to lack the backing it needs to even generate a legitimate discussion. Perhaps Jacobs is playing the long game and hoping the SEC eventually moves to nine conference games, which would create the flexibility for the Auburn-to-the-East-Missouri-to-the-West arrangement. Among the league’s power brokers, Saban is the only person who has been a vocal proponent for this.”

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/05/30/auburn-sec-east-west-divisions-realignment

54 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Update, Reader’s Digest version.

“…Former Tigers coach Pat Dye started it, and while Dye remains very connected at Auburn, it still sounded like something to pass the hours before the first kickoff in August. At least it did until Thursday, when Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs went on the radio before a speaking engagement in Mobile and said the move sounded like a great idea…How would traditional rivalries be affected? That’s the part where this would really please Auburn and tick off Alabama…These are the arguments that will dominate should the SEC ever decide to recalibrate its divisions, but Auburn seems to lack the backing it needs to even generate a legitimate discussion. Perhaps Jacobs is playing the long game and hoping the SEC eventually moves to nine conference games, which would create the flexibility for the Auburn-to-the-East-Missouri-to-the-West arrangement. Among the league’s power brokers, Saban is the only person who has been a vocal proponent for this.”

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/05/30/auburn-sec-east-west-divisions-realignment

Thanks for posting this.

It's nothing more than off-season fodder that gets regurgitated every single off season.  Auburn doesn't have the backing to even put the proposal on the table for serious discussion among the rest of the conference.  UGA/UT/UF doesn't want Auburn in the East.  Why would Mizzou want to move West when they've won the East twice since they joined the SEC?  Why would USCe would want have to play a team annually that has killed them every chance they get?

1 hour ago, keesler said:

Thanks for posting this.

It's nothing more than off-season fodder that gets regurgitated every single off season.  Auburn doesn't have the backing to even put the proposal on the table for serious discussion among the rest of the conference.  UGA/UT/UF doesn't want Auburn in the East.  Why would Mizzou want to move West when they've won the East twice since they joined the SEC?  Why would USCe would want have to play a team annually that has killed them every chance they get?

and yet, still more recent talk (editing for condensation mine)

‘...SEC commissioner Greg Sankey shot down the idea of division realignment quickly in his first address at the SEC spring meetings.

"Is that an agenda item? No," Sankey said. "Do you talk about it in media press conferences? Regularly. There's almost this cycle now, it's two years that you can begin predicting what will happen May 1st. The national membership conversation then at some point someone will talk about division alignment. I think the next question is about a nine game schedule, none of which are on our agenda."… everyone has agreed that no change is coming anytime soon, if ever. That won't stop the conversation from happening -- it's almost a guarantee it'll come up again next May when someone gets bored again -- but the Tigers are locked into the SEC West’.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2017/05/sec_shoots_down_auburn_to_sec.html

And there we have it, discussion OVER!  Till this time next year when the message boards and bored media members stir that old moldy pot again and start pressing fossils like Pat Dye for his "opinion" on the matter.:-\

Archived