UMass Transfers DeJon Jarreau (G) and Brison Gresham (C)

ellitor

9 hours ago, Tiger said:

Good points, Cam is definitely a special case. Here is something we both can understand as NC natives. Remember James Michael McAdoo for the Tarheels? He was a projected lottery pick after his freshman year after averaging a whopping 6 ppg and 4 rpg in only 15 mins/game. He decided to stay to work on his game. His 2nd season was statistically better but he was falling down the draft boards as he now had more responsibility on the team. So he stayed another year to try to work back up the draft boards. It didn't work for him and he ended up saying "screw it I'm not helping myself with this current system" and declared even though he was projected to be undrafted -- which is what happened.

Now, through the years he's been in the D-League and whatnot but has found a roster spot in Golden State after a few years of trying to find some footing. But he cost himself being set for life at the age of 19 by prolonging his entry into the NBA. Obviously not all cases are like this but it seems kids want to beat the scouting reports to the NBA, and I don't blame them.

I agree on Heron, he could be something special if he stays 4 years which unfortunately, for us, won't happen barring some major setback.

Chris Porter says Hi on this... he should have left after his first year but came back to show he could hit on the middle jumpers only to show he couldnt shoot worth a darn.  Would have easily been a top 15 pick but ended up over seas.

6 hours ago, GenesChin said:

Not sure why people think players that stay for only 1-2 years won't develop a connection and/or affinity for Auburn. 

We had a one year hired gun in football and ended up putting him in our national commercial. 

Any one and done player at Auburn who leads us to tournament success will be remembered and cherished. Likely that he revels in that glory and comes back if we love him enough

This times a million.

19 hours ago, ellitor said:

The only records I care about is win-loss, academic progress while here regardless if they are here 1 year or 4, & minimal police records.

Had you been in the stands on Feb 14, 1970 to see John Mengelt score 60 and Al Leaphart get 19 points and 22 rebounds vs. Alabama, you'd care about records. Every time I see a record associated with that game I can call up flashbacks. A very fine evening in BEMC.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Had you been in the stands on Feb 14, 1970 to see John Mengelt score 60 and Al Leaphart get 19 points and 22 rebounds vs. Alabama, you'd care about records. Every time I see a record associated with that game I can call up flashbacks. A very fine evening in BEMC.

I was there it was great.

9 hours ago, corchjay said:

Chris Porter says Hi on this... he should have left after his first year but came back to show he could hit on the middle jumpers only to show he couldnt shoot worth a darn.  Would have easily been a top 15 pick but ended up over seas.

Sheesh I can't believe I didn't think of CP4. Yes you are absolutely right. His stats were basically down across the board and then the agent thing. Talk about blowing it. And he actually was playing well in the NBA and managed to blow that too. Disappointing but he'll always be one of my favorite Tigers!

14 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Sheesh I can't believe I didn't think of CP4. Yes you are absolutely right. His stats were basically down across the board and then the agent thing. Talk about blowing it. And he actually was playing well in the NBA and managed to blow that too. Disappointing but he'll always be one of my favorite Tigers!

Yep he was quite a player but had some problems in his personal life that most likely ruined his basketball career.  JMO but staying or not staying at AU was not the cause of his failure in the NBA....might have cost him some bonus money but once in the league...it doesn't take long to get sorted out.

Another solid year at AU and another trip to the NCAA and he might have been one of those "revered" players noted above but one season was not enough.  After all, he was on the cover of SI his Sr year when AU was preseason #1 in some polls....but instead got suspended, and top 10 AU ended up being  an early out of the NCAA.   Now he's mostly forgotten except by those who saw him play at his best.

And yet, he was/is good enough to have played in various leagues all over the world until last year...might still be out there as far as I know....which is amazing. 

21 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Yep he was quite a player but had some problems in his personal life that most likely ruined his basketball career.  JMO but staying or not staying at AU was not the cause of his failure in the NBA....might have cost him some bonus money but once in the league...it doesn't take long to get sorted out.

Another solid year at AU and another trip to the NCAA and he might have been one of those "revered" players noted above but one season was not enough.  After all, he was on the cover of SI his Sr year when AU was preseason #1 in some polls....but instead got suspended, and top 10 AU ended up being  an early out of the NCAA.   Now he's mostly forgotten except by those who saw him play at his best.

And yet, he was/is good enough to have played in various leagues all over the world until last year...might still be out there as far as I know....which is amazing. 

I didn't mean to insinuate his AU experience had anything to do with his lack of sticking in the NBA, I just mentioned it because it is part of his whole story. He apparently got traded and missed his flight to the new city and so the team he was just traded to cut him. I think it was Charlotte? Not sure though without looking it up. But that's the biggest :slapfh: move ever.

But yeah I saw he had been in China for a while last time I tried to see what he was up to these days. Part of it was he was a 6'7 power forward. Those sized guys don't usually make it as big men in the NBA.

7 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I didn't mean to insinuate his AU experience had anything to do with his lack of sticking in the NBA, I just mentioned it because it is part of his whole story. He apparently got traded and missed his flight to the new city and so the team he was just traded to cut him. I think it was Charlotte? Not sure though without looking it up. But that's the biggest :slapfh: move ever.

But yeah I saw he had been in China for a while last time I tried to see what he was up to these days. Part of it was he was a 6'7 power forward. Those sized guys don't usually make it as big men in the NBA.

He could have found a place even at his size IMO..but drugs,etc....and nobody could trust his reliability....Could have been like Marques Daniel maybe.   Too bad.

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

He could have found a place even at his size IMO..but drugs,etc....and nobody could trust his reliability....Could have been like Marques Daniel maybe.   Too bad.

Yup. Marquis Daniels is the modern era king of AU bball IMO.

He deserved better teammates.

Since we have no Seniors next year won't we need at least one of our two available Scholarships for Montgomery next year. I realize there is talk about Herron and Purifoy leaving early. Assuming Herron improves a good bit from this year I could see him leaving early. Based on last years performance Purifoy would need a breakout season to honestly have a chance to leave early. How realistic is it to go for both of these guys.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

Nope. I just want the team Ws and athletes to be good Auburn citizens. Team has always meant more to me than individual accolaids.

4 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Since we have no Seniors next year won't we need at least one of our two available Scholarships for Montgomery next year. I realize there is talk about Herron and Purifoy leaving early. Assuming Herron improves a good bit from this year I could see him leaving early. Based on last years performance Purifoy would need a breakout season to honestly have a chance to leave early. How realistic is it to go for both of these guys.

There is a year and a half before EJM gets here. There will be players on the current team gone by then. It inevitably happens in that long of a span no matter what the scholly distribution is. It may not be Heron or DP but somebody will leave.

Not to hijack this thread but with the talent we could return to play with EJ his freshman year gives me slight goosebumps. Granted basketball has always been my favorite sport that I grew up loving so I'm a bit of a sunshine pumper when it comes to our team. But even if we lose Wiley, Heron, Purifoy and possibly 1-2 of Mitchell/Harper/Okeke, we should still have promising talent.

But being able to add these two kids to BBrown/Spencer/EJ among others would make depth moving into 2018 much less of an issue. 

I don't know what the numbers look like moving into 2018 but I feel our two biggest NBA prospects moving into this season will be Wiley and Heron, possibly Purifoy but not so much at the beginning. Signing these two guys before the season would give us a little reassurance as far as (at least) providing depth for their two positions if they leave.

At that point we wouldn't have to worry about much other than possibly looking for a GT if we do lose an unexpected player to the draft/transfer. 

Archived