UMass Transfers DeJon Jarreau (G) and Brison Gresham (C)

ellitor

Auburn, UConn after pair of UMass transfers

Corey Evans | Basketball Analyst

Kssamrgsjvl8hw9zd5f9
Brison Gresham (right)
AP

EMERSON, Ga. – Rarely ever does a package deal in recruiting ever work itself out. On the transfer market, a package deal is nearly unheard of. This spring, that is all changing as DeJon Jarreau and Brison Gresham, two freshmen from Louisiana that decided to transfer out of UMass, have decided that they want to remain together and finish out their college playing careers elsewhere.

Gresham, a 6-foot-9 center, didn’t see a ton of playing time as a freshman, but he is a big man that can rebound the ball, finish around the basket and also protect the rim. His teammate and good friend, Jarreau, is one of the top transfers this spring as the 6-foot-5 guard can play all three spots on the perimeter and is coming off an excellent freshman campaign averaging nearly 10 points, five assists and four rebounds per game.

Jarreau, the 38th ranked prospect in the 2016 class, spoke on the duo’s final list of schools that remain in contention. “Right now we are thinking about Creighton, UConn, Seton Hall. And Auburn just came in and started to talking to us,” he said.

Jarreau broke down the four schools in the mix.

Auburn: “It is the SEC. They told me that their point guard would be gone by next year so when I come in it is going to be basically me to run the show. I like it. I haven’t visited yet but we are talking to Coach Bruce Pearl and it sounds nice.”

Creighton: “They have a lot of shooters around. I could go in, penetrate and kick out for the 3. Also, the facilities; the practice gym is nice and the coaches have been recruiting us before we went to UMass, so we have a great relationship with them; they were in our last three the first time around. It is a lot to like about Creighton and they had a good year. If they hadn’t lost their point guard, they would have gone much farther in the tournament.”

UConn: “I know how they let you rock out and play your game as long as you play defense. I know they did a good job with Jalen Adams throughout his past year so it looks like they do a good job with point guards. I have been talking to Kevin Ollie. They are real cool.”

Seton Hall: “They have a good, young team. They let their guys rock, too, and let their guys play. I have no problem with that. I haven’t visited Seton Hall yet and I don’t really know much about them since they just started talking to us, but it does sound like a good situation.”

igee9m92zb3hhptf3vml
Brison Gresham
Power forward
3 STARS
Notre Dame 
Fitcburg, MA
RR: N/A
Ht: 6'7"
Wt: 210 lbs
Class: 2016

we86eehngcwhvll0mcwo
DeJon Jarreau
Point guard
4 STARS
McDonogh 35 
New Orleans, LA
RR: N/A
Ht: 6'5"
Wt: 180 lbs
Class: 2016

WHAT'S NEXT

Down to a final four, Jarreau sounds ready to get their second recruitment process over with.

“We are going to set up some visits next week but we do want to get it done and over with as soon as possible,” he said.

RIVALS REACTION

Jarreau is the type of ultra-versatile guard that can do a litany of things in the backcourt and, by using the upcoming season as a redshirt year and putting on the proper weight, could turn into an NBA prospect overnight. Gresham will join him and by advancing his own offensive skillset, the Louisiana native could become an excellent two-way producer around the basket. Together, Creighton, UConn, Seton Hall and Auburn each could really use the talented duo as a commitment is likely to occur by the end of May.

"Point Guard gone by next year "...is that really where we are now?

30 minutes ago, AU64 said:

"Point Guard gone by next year "...is that really where we are now?

Weirdly enough it seems he was talking about Heron actually which is a real possibility.

They'd both sit 17 and be available in 18 to play 3, I'm assuming? That would be a solid option to replace heron, assuming he does leave, who would bring some help down low with him. 

Would we be looking at Gresham as a 5 if we do get them? (I see his recruiting profile says PF and the article says center)

4 minutes ago, Charhair said:

Would we be looking at Gresham as a 5 if we do get them? (I see his recruiting profile says PF and the article says center)

The 6'7 was his recruiting profile. As the article says he's 6'9 now. And not sure DJ would be here 3 seasons. Some think he's good enough to leave after 2.

10 hours ago, ellitor said:

The 6'7 was his recruiting profile. As the article says he's 6'9 now. And not sure DJ would be here 3 seasons. Some think he's good enough to leave after 2.

I think the issue has gotten to be....it is when players think they are good enough to leave..and not necessarily when they are actually good enough to play NBA. 

JMO but it has reached the point that coaches and fans can't count on any top quality player using up his entire 4 year eligibility...too much money out there....even to sit on a bench somewhere...and if you look at the HS careers of many of these guys, they are not enticed by the academic side of HS or college.

It's gotten that by the time you get a complete handle on who the players are and which ones are most valuable to the success of the team....some of them are on their way elsewhere.

Looks to me like just about every career record at AUburn is safe now. 

But take a look back and see what us long-term fans have enjoyed....http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/aub/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/05guide7.pdf

59 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I think the issue has gotten to be....it is when players think they are good enough to leave..and not necessarily when they are actually good enough to play NBA. 

JMO but it has reached the point that coaches and fans can't count on any top quality player using up his entire 4 year eligibility...too much money out there....even to sit on a bench somewhere...and if you look at the HS careers of many of these guys, they are not enticed by the academic side of HS or college.

It's gotten that by the time you get a complete handle on who the players are and which ones are most valuable to the success of the team....some of them are on their way elsewhere.

Looks to me like just about every career record at AUburn is safe now. 

But take a look back and see what us long-term fans have enjoyed....http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/aub/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/05guide7.pdf

The only records I care about is win-loss, academic progress while here regardless if they are here 1 year or 4, & minimal police records.

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

The only records I care about is win-loss, academic progress while here regardless if they are here 1 year or 4, & minimal police records.

Sorry...but in my view, If that's all that matters you might as well be a bama fan...

30 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Sorry...but in my view, If that's all that matters you might as well be a bama fan...

Umm did you miss the part where I said I want them to make good grades and be good citizens for the community of AU which was clearly implied in my post? You were way of base. All I'm saying is I want individual academic & community success and but team success. A might as well be Bammer would only care about team success & not the personal academic & community success.

12 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Umm did you miss the part where I said I want them to make good grades and be good citizens for the community of AU which was clearly implied in my post? Your post is very rude & personally offensive. Not sure what else you are looking for. I basically said I don't care about on court individual records in leu of team records. Not sure what part of any of that might as well make me a Bama fan but you were way off base & owe me a massive apology for that. I don't care that you are my elder. That was blatantly disrespectful & I will not stand for it.

Sorry you felt my comment was rude....and I apologize for that but I seriously disagree with you on your expectations.....other than good citizens and APR is pretty minimal in my view.

I'm saying that there will not be many future basketball players who establish themselves at the school like Barkley, the Persons, Mitchell, Eddie Johnson...guys who played a career here, got their degrees ..... and have actively helped promote AU basketball.   I don't see a next generation of these kind of players and I think that is  bad for the program long term.

These one (or two ) and done players are mostly hired guns whom I enjoy watching I admit, but I don't see many of them as developing any particular loyalty to AU and being emblematic of what Auburn is all about or coming back in ten years to see a jersey hung in the Arena. 

I'm sorry you are offended, and maybe it's a generational thing but in my view,  the direction of college basketball almost everywhere is disappointing. 

I could see Heron leaving after next year. Right now you don't want to stay too long in college and expose yourself. Show just enough to prove you have the tools to be a pro and the NBA will give you a handful of years to develop and prove your worth. And he was probably our best player.

Can't blame a kid for getting paid and working with NBA coaches with a goal of strictly improving the players' game as opposed to doing it for free when the college coaches job is to win, and not necessarily do what's best for the kid personally.

@AU64, you may be right. Career records will be safe for now. It's looked at as a bad thing for players to stay 4 years now and they will be jumping ship ASAP. But I don't think that means they won't or don't appreciate their time at AU though. Chris Porter has been back a few times I think and he was only around for 1.5 years and had a scandal to end everything. Cam Newton spent 3 months on campus before leaving and is back often. I think once our winning culture is established by BP we will see players come back and visit for big games etc. 

I'm concerned that we lose Purifoy and Heron after next year. It would be devastating if we lose Wiley on top of those guys. I guess the good thing would be that it means they all would have played really well to do that -- although that's not necessarily true statistically (this kid from Kentucky is shooting up draft boards as we speak and didn't play at all this year). But I think it's safe to say our PGs will be here for a while. I obviously haven't seen Davion Mitchell play in college but with his size I doubt he leaves early. Guys that are Harper and Mitchell's size don't leave early as often as those with great measurables.

3 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I could see Heron leaving after next year. Right now you don't want to stay too long in college and expose yourself. Show just enough to prove you have the tools to be a pro and the NBA will give you a handful of years to develop and prove your worth. And he was probably our best player.

Can't blame a kid for getting paid and working with NBA coaches with a goal of strictly improving the players' game as opposed to doing it for free when the college coaches job is to win, and not necessarily do what's best for the kid personally.

@AU64, you may be right. Career records will be safe for now. It's looked at as a bad thing for players to stay 4 years now and they will be jumping ship ASAP. But I don't think that means they won't or don't appreciate their time at AU though. Chris Porter has been back a few times I think and he was only around for 1.5 years and had a scandal to end everything. Cam Newton spent 3 months on campus before leaving and is back often. I think once our winning culture is established by BP we will see players come back and visit for big games etc. 

I'm concerned that we lose Purifoy and Heron after next year. It would be devastating if we lose Wiley on top of those guys. I guess the good thing would be that it means they all would have played really well to do that -- although that's not necessarily true statistically (this kid from Kentucky is shooting up draft boards as we speak and didn't play at all this year). But I think it's safe to say our PGs will be here for a while. I obviously haven't seen Davion Mitchell play in college but with his size I doubt he leaves early. Guys that are Harper and Mitchell's size don't leave early as often as those with great measurables.

It's hard to know what it takes to go to the next level as you indicate...the money is certainly a factor and the case is frequently made that players who stay any longer than absolutely necessary probably cost themselves money....injury risk is played up and maybe just a fluky good season with a good team?    No way to prove that I guess but it's a pretty easy sell to the kids or parents who have to make the decisions.

As for Cam...he led the team to a national championship and was certain to be an icon here....and Cam went the somewhat unusual extra step to get his degree after he left;..at least partly thanks to his mom. I mean ...he's got a statue....how can he not come back? ...:)

JMO but Heron has what it takes to make the AU record books and joins the "greats" but not sure he will stay long enough to do that. It's just the times we live in.

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

It's hard to know what it takes to go to the next level as you indicate...the money is certainly a factor and the case is frequently made that players who stay any longer than absolutely necessary probably cost themselves money....injury risk is played up and maybe just a fluky good season with a good team?    No way to prove that I guess but it's a pretty easy sell to the kids or parents who have to make the decisions.

As for Cam...he led the team to a national championship and was certain to be an icon here....and Cam went the somewhat unusual extra step to get his degree after he left;..at least partly thanks to his mom. I mean ...he's got a statue....how can he not come back? ...:)

JMO but Heron has what it takes to make the AU record books and joins the "greats" but not sure he will stay long enough to do that. It's just the times we live in.

Good points, Cam is definitely a special case. Here is something we both can understand as NC natives. Remember James Michael McAdoo for the Tarheels? He was a projected lottery pick after his freshman year after averaging a whopping 6 ppg and 4 rpg in only 15 mins/game. He decided to stay to work on his game. His 2nd season was statistically better but he was falling down the draft boards as he now had more responsibility on the team. So he stayed another year to try to work back up the draft boards. It didn't work for him and he ended up saying "screw it I'm not helping myself with this current system" and declared even though he was projected to be undrafted -- which is what happened.

Now, through the years he's been in the D-League and whatnot but has found a roster spot in Golden State after a few years of trying to find some footing. But he cost himself being set for life at the age of 19 by prolonging his entry into the NBA. Obviously not all cases are like this but it seems kids want to beat the scouting reports to the NBA, and I don't blame them.

I agree on Heron, he could be something special if he stays 4 years which unfortunately, for us, won't happen barring some major setback.

14 hours ago, ellitor said:

Indeed, I meant 3 is the maximum he'd have. Stats not too far off from Heron's freshman stats, granted the competition may not have been quite the same, so i could see him leaving early if he shows it on the court. (Wherever he may go) 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Sorry you felt my comment was rude....and I apologize for that but I seriously disagree with you on your expectations.....other than good citizens and APR is pretty minimal in my view.

I'm saying that there will not be many future basketball players who establish themselves at the school like Barkley, the Persons, Mitchell, Eddie Johnson...guys who played a career here, got their degrees ..... and have actively helped promote AU basketball.   I don't see a next generation of these kind of players and I think that is  bad for the program long term.

These one (or two ) and done players are mostly hired guns whom I enjoy watching I admit, but I don't see many of them as developing any particular loyalty to AU and being emblematic of what Auburn is all about or coming back in ten years to see a jersey hung in the Arena. 

I'm sorry you are offended, and maybe it's a generational thing but in my view,  the direction of college basketball almost everywhere is disappointing. 

Hmmm. I edited my post 2 hours ago taking the edge & anger out of my post. How were you able to reply an hour later to a post I had nearly completely edited the original content before you replied?

34 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Honestly the romanticism of the old days would be nice but it's just a not reality now a days. Therefore I just want to have the most successful teams we can & have the individual players grow themselves off the court in their academics & character here as people while at AU. I think that's realistically all we can ask for or expect now a days.

I don't think its all doom and gloom for the future like some are saying. A team like AU is never going to get a team full of guys who leave early after 1 or 2 years so what we'll need to do is mix and match the guys who do with those who will stay likely stay longer. Recent signees like Heron and Wiley will leave early yeah....but more will stay for extended amounts of time. Think of guys like Harper and McClemore, both are talented guys that will likely stay for some time. So yeah the best guys will leave early and we hope we get a few of those from year to year. But that certainly won't be the norm at AU...at least not any time soon.

Though i will say that i would like to see us get away from taking these type transfers. Unless you are adding 1 guy who is a missing piece then i think you are better off getting HS guys. But if you can't find what you need in the HS ranks you gotta do what you gotta do i guess

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Hmmm. I edited my post 2 hours ago taking the edge & anger out of my post. How were you able to reply an hour later to a post I had nearly completely edited the original content before you replied?

I was on line when your posts came up and it disturbed me that you took my comment that way....it was about half in jest..and as I noted later, probably a generational thing.  My bama reference was to my sense that all the bammers care about is W-Ls and as long as the guys stay out of jail,...or don't miss too many games...that's all they want. My feeling is that most AU fans (but maybe just guys my generation) like to see a bit more. ...the graduation pix, academic recognition, and an affection for their time at Auburn.   I think that's mostly gone in basketball...not quite lost in football yet. 

As for the romanticism....yep it's old fashioned but look at AU...Cliff Hare Stadium, Pat Dye Field or whatever....and pictures of the old greats all over the athletic area of the campus.    I hate that the current and coming generation of AU fans won't have a new crop of "greats" to reminisce about...rather than just a bunch of guys who passed through AU, spent a couple years here and moved along before they even reached their potential.   

I imagine kids coming to games at AU ...seeing pictures of guys they never saw play, and likely soon, players they never even heard of before they came to the campus ....and parents who don't know why they merited the special recognition.  I just think its a loss.....

24 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I was on line when your posts came up and it disturbed me that you took my comment that way....it was about half in jest..and as I noted later, probably a generational thing.  My bama reference was to my sense that all the bammers care about is W-Ls and as long as the guys stay out of jail,...or don't miss too many games...that's all they want. My feeling is that most AU fans (but maybe just guys my generation) like to see a bit more. ...the graduation pix, academic recognition, and an affection for their time at Auburn.   I think that's mostly gone in basketball...not quite lost in football yet. 

As for the romanticism....yep it's old fashioned but look at AU...Cliff Hare Stadium, Pat Dye Field or whatever....and pictures of the old greats all over the athletic area of the campus.    I hate that the current and coming generation of AU fans won't have a new crop of "greats" to reminisce about...rather than just a bunch of guys who passed through AU, spent a couple years here and moved along before they even reached their potential.   

I imagine kids coming to games at AU ...seeing pictures of guys they never saw play, and likely soon, players they never even heard of before they came to the campus ....and parents who don't know why they merited the special recognition.  I just think its a loss.....

Yes it's a loss but it's today's reality and something we have to live with if we want to continue to be basketball fans.

Actually, we don't have to live with it.  I would imagine that AU64 and I are in the minority, but if there is a will there's a way ... recruit great student athletes that want 4 year degrees before they leave ... somehow the "will" would need to be required.  Like I said, we may be in the minority ...

Also to this line of discussion ... really and truly, who are the "recent" notable/great Auburn players who have come back to Auburn and tried to make a difference.  I guess guys we Auburn fans would consider great, cause there haven't been many recent universally recognized "greats".

Frankie Sullivan and Marquis Daniels ... anybody else?  I don't even put Porter in this category.  Yes, he has shown up on campus, but has he tried to help the program?  Anybody else?  I can't think of anyone.

"Yes it's a loss but it's today's reality and something we have to live with if we want to continue to be basketball fans" -Ellitor

I want to be an Auburn basketball fan and look forward to seeing a guy like Heron develop each season for 3 or 4 years.   Selfish me...I'm hoping that he is not good enough for the NBA after next season....'cause he is more than good enough to be a factor in the SEC .  He's fun to watch and I want to see how good he can really be in an AU uniform..   

The nice thing about AU softball now has been watching 3 years of Cooper....and looking forward to 3 more years of Rivera and hoping she is one of the next AU stars....and we still have two more years of Carlee and Veach and looking forward to the Snow sisters knowing that neither is likely to bail out after one good season.

Not sure why people think players that stay for only 1-2 years won't develop a connection and/or affinity for Auburn. 

We had a one year hired gun in football and ended up putting him in our national commercial. 

Any one and done player at Auburn who leads us to tournament success will be remembered and cherished. Likely that he revels in that glory and comes back if we love him enough

Comparing anyone, particularly a yet to be realized future Auburn NBA star, to Cam Newton is not a good comparison.  For the love of Mike, people all over the globe were dabbing - primarily because Cam Newton was doing it on international TV for millions to see.

As soon as we have a basketball player come through and is that dynamic ... I'll be right there with ya.  I'd love to see the day it happens.

Archived