2018 3* CB/S Joseph Foucha

ellitor

Top DB breaks down Auburn interest, recent visit

Greg Brown’s attention and prioritization is paying off for Auburn.

Auburn’s first-year defensive backs coach appears to have done some attentive scouting this spring with his defensive backs of choice. The Tigers are recruiting multiple cornerbacks and safeties from multiple different states, and nearly all of them have been guys Brown has keyed in on since taking over.

Joseph Foucha from New Orleans is a textbook example.

Brown watched the 3-star safety from McDonogh 35 (La.) practice earlier in the evaluation period. Foucha returned the favor with a visit to Auburn at the beginning of May.

The shared interest in one another has Foucha talking highly of the Tigers’ efforts.

“I’d say Auburn’s recruiting me the hardest right now” Foucha said. “We’ve been keeping in contact every day or every other day. … I’ve been talking to coach Brown. We’re just always sending text messages to keep the relationship built. The relationship is real strong, though, because coach Brown is a real a cool guy. He likes me as a player and how I practice. He sees me at a few positions besides just safety. He’s been recruiting me very hard.”

Arkansas-recruiting-Joe-Foucha
Auburn safety target Joseph Foucha (Sam Spiegelman/SEC Country)

Foucha’s first visit to Auburn passed expectations.

It gave him more personal time with Brown, as well as other members of the college coaching staff. Foucha mentioned aspects of the coaches, the campus and the atmosphere as major stand-out moments on the preliminary trip to the Plains.

“Talking to coach Brown, he showed me a lot. It was amazing getting to hang out with him. He actually came to watch me practice. It was good to talk to him, hang out with him, get the feel of the stuff like that,” Foucha said. “I felt how I wanted to feel. Everything I wanted to see, I saw it. Everything is close there. You wouldn’t have to travel as far. Everything is right there, what you eat, where you train at, where you sleep.”

Foucha could come out with a list of top 12 schools as early as today, and rest-assured, Auburn is high on that list.

Alabama, LSU, TCU, SMU, Baylor and Oregon are just a few of the programs you can expect to see alongside the Tigers. He has hopes to visits a few other schools he’s never been before, including Ole Miss and Arkansas and a decision won’t be made until National Signing Day in February, he said.

Auburn’s primary advantage may come through Foucha’s childhood, however. The Louisiana producct, once an aspiring quarterback, grew up in the Cam Newton era. He considers Newton one of his favorite players, and those defining college moments always made the Tigers one of his favorite teams to watch and envision himself play for.

“It’s just a school I looked at growing as a kid when Cam Newton was playing when I used to play quarterback. That’s a school I loved to watch,” Foucha said. “That’s just a school that means something to me.”

Foucha will return for a second trip to Auburn for Big Cat Weekend on June 3.

The most incredible part of that entire article is hearing a kid talking about watching Cam Newton at Auburn as a kid. Then, you start to back date it. He's going to graduate in 2018, which means he was in fifth grade (roughly 10 years old) when Cam was here. Good-NESS. If that doesn't make you feel old, then age really is just a number for you.

His film looks good. He's a thumper with solid ball skills. Plus, check out the photo, he's clearly got some swag.

On 5/18/2017 at 9:27 AM, mcgufcm said:

Plus, check out the photo, he's clearly got some swag.

Like, Falcons era Deion swag. I'm on board. 

A little more than a top 5

I’m not a huge fan of writing about top lists, but in the recruiting game, it’s obviously something that has to be done. I’m particularly not high on doing top 10s or top 15s because — as has been proven with Armour-Davis’ top 6 — it’s quite the fickle list.

But I wanted to highlight Auburn safety target Joseph Foucha’s recent top-15 release for two reasons.

1. He’s one of Greg Brown’s top DB targets in the class.
  2. He does something quite out of the ordinary in his video list.

Check out the video below that shows Foucha’s continued interest in Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, Michigan, Oregon, Ole Miss, Texas A&M, Oregon State, Arizona State, Florida State, Oklahoma, Arkansas, TCU, Kansas and Texas-San Antonio.

As for the schools, Auburn, Alabama and TCU are the teams to watch for now. The Tigers are certainly in good shape as Greg Brown has taken extra efforts to show Foucha early love.

But I also show the video for, to me, the funny moment — probably not funny to Foucha at the time — at the 1:48 mark when he, well, pukes from the workout in the rest of the video. It’s not something you ordinarily, or ever, see from a recruit in a top list video or commitment video, so I thought it was worth sharing.

I poked a little fun at Foucha for that addition to the video.

• 2 months later...

Was this a "first to commit" situation between Sherwood and Foucha? Seems like between Fuqua, March, Monday, and Sherwood we are done at Safety, right?

2 hours ago, au_bsci_04 said:

Was this a "first to commit" situation between Sherwood and Foucha? Seems like between Fuqua, March, Monday, and Sherwood we are done at Safety, right?

I think Sherwood was higher on the Safety board. No word yet on if AU likes Foucha as a CB or not.

1 hour ago, Tigerfinz said:

Any ideas why KN put Foucha in foggy CB status?

We have 4 Safeties committed in the class. There isn't room if AU only likes Foucha at Safety.

Is Fuqua's spot safe or is there a possibility he might be encouraged to look around with plenty of time to do so?

15 minutes ago, CR said:

Is Fuqua's spot safe or is there a possibility he might be encouraged to look around with plenty of time to do so?

Commits aren't asked to look around unless they have serious grade issues or there has been a regime change. It especially doesn't happen in late July.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

We have 4 Safeties committed in the class. There isn't room if AU only likes Foucha at Safety.

Thanks E makes sense 

5 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

What the heck is that in his hand looks like a walkie talkie

Sat-phone

• 5 months later...
On 7/28/2017 at 9:16 PM, aublaise said:

So...Foucha and Fuqua are not two different spellings for the same guy?

Lol. 2 different recruits.

We haven't talked about him in a long time but this guy is still on our board. He was supposed to OV AU this weekend. He's going to Arky instead but will come back to see AU...

Just now, bigbird said:

6 months ago...

I know but I was coming here to post the tweet I just did so I answered the question too.

Archived