Antwaun Jackson & Marlon Character Transferring (Merged)

ClaytonAU

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 Auburn redshirt-freshman to transfer

Auburn Spring Football: Day 1
Auburn defensive lineman Antwuan Jackson Jr. (52) works out Tuesday, Feb. 28, 2017, during the first day of spring football practice at the Auburn Athletics Complex in Auburn, Ala. (Julie Bennett/jbennett@al.com) (Julie Bennett)

By James Crepea
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on May 18, 2017 at 10:19 AM

A pair of redshirt-freshman are transferring from the Auburn football program.

Defensive lineman Antwuan Jackson Jr. and defensive back Marlon Character Jr. are leaving the program, Auburn coach Gus Malzahn told the school's in-house website.

"They've decided to move on," Malzahn said in a report from the school. "We wish them nothing but the best."
Jackson, a former U.S. Army All-American, was a consensus four-star recruit and ranked among the top 10 defensive tackles in the 2016 recruiting class.

"We feel like he is one of the best defensive linemen in the nation," Malzahn said on national signing day in 2016. "Coach Garner recruited him extremely hard for well over a year, almost two years. We think he has a bright future and he's a fine young man."

The Ellenwood, Ga. native enrolled early in 2016 and after redshirting last season, spent most of the spring with the second-team defense, recording one tackle, a sack, on A-Day.

"Antwuan could be a good player," defensive line coach Rodney Garner said in March. "He still has to get a better grasp on the type of effort and execution it's going to take to perform at this level. That's been his biggest thing, the learning that, hey, it takes -- you have to be willing to strain, you have to be willing to get uncomfortable to be able to be a good player. He has a tremendous skill set, he just has to embrace just turning it loose, taking the governor off and being able to play at a high level."

Character, a three-star recruit out of Grady High in Atlanta, started his career at safety while redshirting in the fall and moved to cornerback this spring.

"He's doing a good job," secondary coach Greg Brown said. "Marlon's got length, he'll compete, he's tough, he gets after it. We're excited about the progress that Marlon is making. ... He's making strides and he's got the right attitude and he's working hard at it.

"Right now we're seeing he does at corner, he's doing an outstanding job. He's on the path, he's by no means has arrived, he's a work in progress but he's taking strides and trying to get better."

It's unclear where Jackson and Character are headed.

AL.com will update this story.

I don't understand their transferring decisions at all.  Both were slated to get quality playing time this year.  Character was one of the most improved defensive players, was he not?  This really is a shocker to me.  It now tells me we need a grad transfer for DB.  Wish those two guys nothing but the best, but wow, probably a big mistake on their end for what was to come.

Wow, extremely disappointing news. Those guys were destined to be starters over the next couple of years. I remember how excited I was when Antwuan Jackson signed with us over Ohio State. Today is gonna suck now.

Sounds to me like they both barely gave AU a chance. All these kids need to realize that they can't all step right into the starting rotation as Freshman and maybe not even as Sophs. If they are not willing to develop themselves and their games to the proper skill level to get a lot of playing time, they should not sign with a big time college program such as AU. Maybe they should sign with a Junior College or Div. II where they can play right away.

17 minutes ago, sogaaufan said:

"Antwuan could be a good player," defensive line coach Rodney Garner said in March. "He still has to get a better grasp on the type of effort and execution it's going to take to perform at this level. That's been his biggest thing, the learning that, hey, it takes -- you have to be willing to strain, you have to be willing to get uncomfortable to be able to be a good player. He has a tremendous skill set, he just has to embrace just turning it loose, taking the governor off and being able to play at a high level."

Character, a three-star recruit out of Grady High in Atlanta, started his career at safety while redshirting in the fall and moved to cornerback this spring.

"He's doing a good job," secondary coach Greg Brown said. "Marlon's got length, he'll compete, he's tough, he gets after it. We're excited about the progress that Marlon is making. ... He's making strides and he's got the right attitude and he's working hard at it.

"Right now we're seeing he does at corner, he's doing an outstanding job. He's on the path, he's by no means has arrived, he's a work in progress but he's taking strides and trying to get better."

It's unclear where Jackson and Character are headed.

Looks like Jackson was not willing to listen to CRG.  That is unfortunate though.  It may be a Woody Barrett case all over again.  No idea about Character however.

Really disappointed in this news. I really thought both of these guys would see plenty of playing time this season. As much as AU has going on, why would these guys want to transfer?  Wonder the reason why. 

This seems extremely odd to me. Freshman don't normally transfer, redshirt or not. This just makes no sense. Character would of played this season. Jackson also (probably.) This is 3 freshman in 2 weeks. 

What's going on Gus?

3 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

This seems extremely odd to me. Freshman don't normally transfer, redshirt or not. This just makes no sense. Character would of played this season. Jackson also (probably.) This is 3 freshman in 2 weeks. 

What's going on Gus?

What I'm reading elsewhere is that AJ was buried on the depth chart.  Wasn't going to be on the two-deep this year because he wasn't putting in the work in the weight room like he needed to.  Marlon on the other hand was going to be in the two deep and would have played.  That one is really puzzling.

Character was a late, huge win for Muschamp, was he not? Now he's playing for his 2 d coordinator and 3rd DB coach. Maybe that has something to do with it. 

Jackson "sounds" lazy. 

Just now, TitanTiger said:

What I'm reading elsewhere is that AJ was buried on the depth chart.  Wasn't going to be on the two-deep this year because he wasn't putting in the work in the weight room like he needed to.  Marlon on the other hand was going to be in the two deep and would have played.  That one is really puzzling.

Thank you sir.

Character REALLY is hard to believe. Can any of these guys transfer to another SEC squad? I'm wondering if Character didnt like his position coach, and decided to go play for TRob and Muschamp. Do we fully release these guys? Do we limit their transfer ability? Or if they transfer to JUCO do we have no say in where they go? 

Essentially, if Character transfers to JUCO can he sign with USCe and there be nothing we can do about it? And Woody...since he went to JUCO, could he end up at Mississippi State and there be nothing stopping him? Sorry to bring up Woody, but the same question applies to Character. Unless of course it is different rules about going to the other division? 

Hope that made sense. 

Just now, Auburn2Eugene said:

Thank you sir.

Character REALLY is hard to believe. Can any of these guys transfer to another SEC squad? I'm wondering if Character didnt like his position coach, and decided to go play for TRob and Muschamp. Do we fully release these guys? Do we limit their transfer ability? Or if they transfer to JUCO do we have no say in where they go? 

Essentially, if Character transfers to JUCO can he sign with USCe and there be nothing we can do about it? And Woody...since he went to JUCO, could he end up at Mississippi State and there be nothing stopping him? Sorry to bring up Woody, but the same question applies to Character. Unless of course it is different rules about going to the other division? 

Hope that made sense. 

We probably won't release them directly to another SEC school, but if they go JUCO they can sign with anyone after that.

15 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Thank you sir.

Hope that made sense. 

I'm pretty sure that, barring extenuating circumstances, non-graduate transfers have to sit out a year (at a d-1 school) regardless of whether we release them or not.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

We probably won't release them directly to another SEC school, but if they go JUCO they can sign with anyone after that.

Thank you for taking the time to explain it to me.

WDE guys. It feels bad now. But remember How we felt on first day of fall camp when JR was kicked off the team. Lots of people panicked (myself included.) Bubba stepped up big time. Hopefully The "other" Myers will step up big time like bubba did last season.

Just now, triangletiger said:

I'm pretty that, barring extenuating circumstances, non-graduate transfers have to sit out a year (at a d-1 school) regardless of whether we release them or not.

They do unless they get a waiver like Golson tried to get. Which got turned down, but shouldn't of been.

23 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

What's going on Gus?

Normally if a red shirt freshman bails it's because coaches are indicating that a true freshman is passing them on the depth chart... just saying.

Just now, Auburn2Eugene said:

They do unless they get a waiver like Golson tried to get. Which got turned down, but shouldn't of been.

That's what I meant by 'extenuating circumstances'.

Must be a personal situation for Marlon.  Dude had to know he was going to see the field plenty this year and start next year.   Guys don't leave unless they just cannot get along with their coaches or have some real issues back home.    We just cannot afford to lose guys in the secondary.   Better get to crutin!!  

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

I don't understand their transferring decisions at all.  Both were slated to get quality playing time this year.  Character was one of the most improved defensive players, was he not?  This really is a shocker to me.  It now tells me we need a grad transfer for DB.  Wish those two guys nothing but the best, but wow, probably a big mistake on their end for what was to come.

Definitely could use a GT or JUCO at safety (or 2) if there are any of them out that are good enough.

10 minutes ago, casatiger said:

Must be a personal situation for Marlon.  Dude had to know he was going to see the field plenty this year and start next year.   Guys don't leave unless they just cannot get along with their coaches or have some real issues back home.    We just cannot afford to lose guys in the secondary.   Better get to crutin!!  

He's probably leaving because he thinks Coach Greg Brown looks like a goober. ;)

Archived