Antwaun Jackson & Marlon Character Transferring (Merged)

ClaytonAU

12 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Normally if a red shirt freshman bails it's because coaches are indicating that a true freshman is passing them on the depth chart... just saying.

I could see this with Jackson. But Character? DLis one of the deepest and most talented positions on our team. DB, not so much.

1 minute ago, triangletiger said:

He's probably leaving because he thinks Coach Greg Brown looks like a goober. ;)

I don't think it has anything to do with how he looks, but I could see it being that he simply doesn't like his playstyle/coaching style. 

Character is a real mystery. It seems something is afoot at the Circle K...

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

I'm seeing a few mentions on Twitter and elsewhere that MC had some grade issues.

If true, it clears up the mystery.

Well, that stinks. I had high hopes for both of those guys. 

1.  Dang it!  We can't afford this in the secondary. 

2.  We've got some good DL, but depth is very important there. I was counting on Ant to provide some depth this year.  

1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I don't think it has anything to do with how he looks, but I could see it being that he simply doesn't like his playstyle/coaching style. 

I was referring back a long discussion that was started following the announcement of the hiring of Greg Brown.  I've gone back and added a link in my post to the initial thread that started the discussion.

Well at least they are doing this now and not halfway into Summer or Fall camp.  We have time to pivot and adjust.

Sucks for the DB position for sure. If grades are a problem for Character, maybe he can go to bama & graduate in 3 years. As for Jackson, if hes too lazy to put in effort,  hes a waste of a scholly anyway.

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I could see this with Jackson. But Character? DLis one of the deepest and most talented positions on our team. DB, not so much.

Maybe Askew is everything we hoped... 

Just now, lionheartkc said:

Maybe Askew is everything we hoped... 

Bet he starts this year. I'd look for a CB or 2 to switch to safety possibly. Daniel Thomas will probably start too. 

3 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Bet he starts this year. I'd look for a CB or 2 to switch to safety possibly. Daniel Thomas will probably start too. 

If it is because he's that good, I'm all for it.  As for Thomas... if he built on what he showed flashes of last year, then I'm excited about him.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

If it is because he's that good, I'm all for it.  As for Thomas... if he built on what he showed flashes of last year, then I'm excited about him.

I think the issue won't be that we don't have quality starting safeties, it's the depth behind them. 

No one here can spin 73 scholly players. Do what you have to and keep both. And lol at MC having grade issues. Get the kid the help he needs. If he is going to class all should be good. 

4 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Daniel Thomas will probably start too. 

Where?

The reason for Marlon Character Jr.'s transfer from Auburn

The incident was serious enough to lead him to transfer from Auburn.
Brandon Marcello - 

AUBURN, Ala. — Defensive back Marlon Character Jr.'s decision to transfer wasn't necessarily his own.

He was nudged to leave after an apparent incident with a teammate in recent weeks, two sources told AuburnUndercover over the span of the last two weeks.

Multiple attempts by AuburnUndercover to reach Character Jr. have been unsuccessful. Auburn has not returned a request for comment.

http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/The-reason-for-Marlon-Character-Jrs-transfer-from-Auburn-52806202

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

According to 24/7, Marlon was involved in an incident with a teammate in the last week or so and was nudged to leave.

What part of teammate don't these kids get? (note... I'm blaming both involved, not just Marlon)

What part of teammate don't these kids get? (note... I'm blaming both involved, not just Marlon)

The other player involved is still on the team if that tells you anything.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

The other player involved is still on the team if that tells you anything.

Yea, but we all know that, even if the other didn't escalate it to punishable levels, they aren't entirely innocent. I'm sure there was provocation. 

12 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Where?

You play Stephen Roberts at one Safety spot and Tray on the other and then possible play Daniel at the Nickel maybe? Unless Nick Ruffin plays there instead. Whatcha think? 

Yea, but we all know that, even if the other didn't escalate it to punishable levels, they aren't entirely innocent. I'm sure there was provocation. 

We aren't sure about that at all actually.  How could you be?  What if it was Marlon who provoked the incident and initiated physical contact or whatever pushed it over the line?

Unless Character had other incidents, we don't know about, I don't see one issue two players got involved with, would lead to nudging him out. I could see discipline or dropping on the depth chart so he has to work more..but he must have decided to leave...I don't see nudging as a Gus Malzahn trait..

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

Unless Character had other incidents, we don't know about, I don't see one issue two players got involved with, would lead to nudging him out. I could see discipline or dropping on the depth chart so he has to work more..but he must have decided to leave...I don't see nudging as a Gus Malzahn trait..

After the issues with Duke and Jovon, I fully believe that if some guy instigated a serious altercation with a teammate that wasn't just a skirmish in the heat of a physical practice, that Gus would be inclined to tell the guy to look elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

We aren't sure about that at all actually.  How could you be?  What if it was Marlon who provoked the incident and initiated physical contact or whatever pushed it over the line?

Incident could be many things a fight, somebody stealing from another person, some type of hazing, etc. We don't know but the fact that the other players is still on the team means coaches felt MC was the problem. Sorry for this as I had high hopes for this young man. Whatever it was I hope he learns from it and becomes a better man.

So, you think Marlon just didn't like his face? It's extremely rare that someone attacks someone else, verbally, physically, or whatever, unless that other person did/said something that the felt wronged by. I'm not saying the other player is a bad guy, just saying that neither one of them was treating the other as a teammate.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

So, you think Marlon just didn't like his face? It's extremely rare that someone attacks someone else, verbally, physically, or whatever, unless that other person did/said something that the felt wronged by. I'm not saying the other player is a bad guy, just saying that neither one of them was treating the other as a teammate.

Again, you do not - and furthermore can not - know that.  Unless you've got some inside sources you haven't divulged.  AuburnNTexas also makes a good point.  We're assuming a fight, but it also could have been another incident...stealing, hazing, etc.  We just don't know.  But yeah, sometimes guys decide to be a**holes for no real reason.

Maybe the other guy did something, maybe he didn't.  But the bottom line is, Marlon is the one that got the boot.  Evidently the other player's culpability in the situation was very little to none.

Again, you do not - and furthermore can not - know that.  Unless you've got some inside sources you haven't divulged.  AuburnNTexas also makes a good point.  We're assuming a fight, but it also could have been another incident...stealing, hazing, etc.  We just don't know.  But yeah, sometimes guys decide to be a**holes for no real reason.

Maybe the other guy did something, maybe he didn't.  But the bottom line is, Marlon is the one that got the boot.  Evidently the other player's culpability in the situation was very little to none.

Actually, I can know that it's extremely rare, because people study human interaction and record trends, but you are welcome to believe whatever you want to believe.

@AuburnNTexas is right, if it was something like stealing, that's a completely difference scenario.

Archived