Antwaun Jackson & Marlon Character Transferring (Merged)

ClaytonAU

Well obviously this is so very disappointing on many levels. The depth in the defensive backfield is razor thin and this hurts. As mentioned above, if MC was involved in issues and was "removed" from the team then "it is what it is". But it still hurts.

AJ was a big get in recruiting and I had high, high hopes. He was a big deal in HS. But as we have seen lately, not every big time recruit works out. This one hurts depth more for next year and the year after. 

We will have to be VERY, VERY lucky this year with injuries. A few good breaks and we can still have a great year. A few bad ones and we will be in trouble. 

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Actually, I can know that it's extremely rare, because people study human interaction and record trends, but you are welcome to believe whatever you want to believe.

@AuburnNTexas is right, if it was something like stealing, that's a completely difference scenario.

What I'm getting at is that you are declaring something as a definitive that simply isn't that way.  I'll just throw out a hypothetical for you that doesn't involve someone "just not liking someone's face."

Instigator starts picking on someone.  Maybe at first it seems like just jokes, but it escalates.  Starts to become a little over the top and even cruel.  Perhaps there are even some mild physical actions involved.

At some point, the victim gets sick of it and mouths off telling them to give off their ass.  Instigator bows up.  Doesn't like being challenged.  Shouting ensues.

Instigator decides he doesn't like something the victim says and starts a physical altercation.  Of course the victim defends himself.

Maybe you see that as both players bearing some fault.  I don't.  And it's a completely realistic, plausible situation.  I've seen it happen on sports teams and in schools plenty of times.

Bottom line is:  you don't know what happened.  To assume and insist otherwise is just being stubborn.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

At some point, the victim gets sick of it and mouths off telling them to give off their ass.

There's the rub... Even if the instigator started, mouthing off is escalating it. 

Also, your scenario is a prime example of someone "not liking someone's face". It's pushing someone's buttons for the sake of pushing them, and it honestly doesn't happen often. When you dig deeper, you find that the target was singled out because of something the instigator doesn't like about them. Maybe he thinks they are stuck-up. Maybe they did/said something that they didn't even realize was hurtful to the instigator. Maybe they are a perceived obstacle to either achieving something or threat to exposing something. If you can get people to really talk to you and tell you what is driving them, you find out that 1) very little is unmotivated and 2) people do insensitive things to each other all the time and don't realize it. 

To me, assuming that Marlon was the only one at fault is basically saying that he's a pretty horrible person.

3 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

Sounds to me like they both barely gave AU a chance. All these kids need to realize that they can't all step right into the starting rotation as Freshman and maybe not even as Sophs. If they are not willing to develop themselves and their games to the proper skill level to get a lot of playing time, they should not sign with a big time college program such as AU. Maybe they should sign with a Junior College or Div. II where they can play right away.

Agree. I'm really surprised regarding Marlon considering how thin we are at Saftey. He was def. going to see playing time!

1 minute ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Agree. I'm really surprised regarding Marlon considering how thin we are at Saftey. He was def. going to see playing time!

Well, since I made that post they are saying that Marlon's situation may not be about playing time after all. The point I made still applies to a lot of other college football players though.

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

Ugh, our safety position.

Well, at least Kyle Davis is back right?

Plan on scoring at least 40 a game and hoping our DL can help our secondary out. I think we'll be fine but I hate to lose Marlon; both actually. These two are puzzling for players to transfer. 

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

There's the rub... Even if the instigator started, mouthing off is escalating it. 

Also, your scenario is a prime example of someone "not liking someone's face". It's pushing someone's buttons for the sake of pushing them, and it honestly doesn't happen often. When you dig deeper, you find that the target was singled out because of something the instigator doesn't like about them. Maybe he thinks they are stuck-up. Maybe they did/said something that they didn't even realize was hurtful to the instigator. Maybe they are a perceived obstacle to either achieving something or threat to exposing something. If you can get people to really talk to you and tell you what is driving them, you find out that 1) very little is unmotivated and 2) people do insensitive things to each other all the time and don't realize it. 

To me, assuming that Marlon was the only one at fault is basically saying that he's a pretty horrible person.

Mouthing off when you're getting picked on is defending yourself.  If simply not standing there and taking verbal abuse is 'escalating', then I suppose if you squint real hard and twist yourself into a pretzel, you can somehow come away with the idea that the victim is also not being a good teammate or whatever.

And my example is not that far fetched.  And even if digging deeper reveals something the instigator didn't like about them, that still does not mean that the victim somehow bore any responsibility for the incident.  Note, I never said the incident was unmotivated.  Instigators can be motivated to act out for all sorts of self-perceived reasons they think are valid that really aren't.  

What we do know is that it was serious enough on Marlon's side to be told to take a hike and the teammate is still on the team.  That's it.  I would imagine that if there was any serious culpability on the other guy's part, you'd either be hearing of both guys getting the boot, or both of them would have been simply reprimanded but remain here.  But we simply don't know.  Doesn't mean Marlon is a horrible person, but it can mean Marlon acted like a jackass and took it too far in this instance.

2 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Plan on scoring at least 40 a game and hoping our DL can help our secondary out. I think we'll be fine but I hate to lose Marlon; both actually. These two are puzzling for players to transfer. 

You didn't read to the end.  Marlon isn't leaving of his own volition.  He was told to go because of an incident with a teammate that was serious enough in the coach's mind to warrant him being gone.

26 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Well, since I made that post they are saying that Marlon's situation may not be about playing time after all. The point I made still applies to a lot of other college football players though.

Ahhh. Gotcha. Guess i should've kept reading. My bad. I thought it would be odd considering he would like see more playing time.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

You didn't read to the end.  Marlon isn't leaving of his own volition.  He was told to go because of an incident with a teammate that was serious enough in the coach's mind to warrant him being gone.

Yeah...just saw it. 

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

No one here can spin 73 scholly players. Do what you have to and keep both. And lol at MC having grade issues. Get the kid the help he needs. If he is going to class all should be good. 

Where does 73 come from? After the rest of the 2017 class enrolls we will be at 80.

13 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Where does 73 come from? After the rest of the 2017 class enrolls we will be at 81.

He knows the future transfers!?!?

"decide to move on"....that's a pretty cold statement.

But I'm always for releasing the kids to play where they want....they have to sit out a year going to Div I anyway.   Usually we are glad to see guys go if they've lost interest in AU or will not do the work....so why make things hard for them ?

2 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

You play Stephen Roberts at one Safety spot and Tray on the other and then possible play Daniel at the Nickel maybe? Unless Nick Ruffin plays there instead. Whatcha think? 

Trey and Roberts start at safety with Ruffin backing them up. Dinson at nickel with Daniel backing them all up.  I like Dinson's length at the nickel spot

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Trey and Roberts start at safety with Ruffin backing them up. Dinson at nickel with Daniel backing them all up.  I like Dinson's length at the nickel spot

Who on the other corner spot? Javaris or Jamel? 

So sad that Character's character is not quite what we thought.  Hard to live up to the name, I guess.  Looks like Gus is not going to put up with nonsense anymore.  

4 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Who on the other corner spot? Javaris or Jamel? 

Javaris and Carlton start at corner

It's very hard to keep 100 males, many of them alpha males out of trouble, staying focused, from fighting or just being plain dumb.  It's a microcosm of society.  Other teams have the same issues.  The timing makes sense for any player if they want to get somewhere for the mini semester.  

Side note I dated a former AU majorette when we were in high school.  We remained friends in college but didn't date.  She was an individual "national champion" her sophomore year but the summer before her junior year she stole some sorority sisters credit cards(s) and ran up $40k in credit debit.  Wasn't a pretty situation and she got expelled.  18-22 year old people make strange and sometimes stupid decisions is the point of the story.  

I am honestly shocked with all of these transfers we have had the past couple of years that Byron Cowart was not one of them. I thought he would of been gone after his first year did not go as well as he thought it would. Glad he is sticking around!

6 hours ago, triangletiger said:

He's probably leaving because he thinks Coach Greg Brown looks like a goober. ;)

;]

43 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

;]

Sorry, and please forgive my ignorance.

What means ;]?

5 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

No one here can spin 73 scholly players. Do what you have to and keep both. And lol at MC having grade issues. Get the kid the help he needs. If he is going to class all should be good. 

:comfort:

7 hours ago, triangletiger said:

I was referring back a long discussion that was started following the announcement of the hiring of Greg Brown.  I've gone back and added a link in my post to the initial thread that started the discussion.

I say we blame it on Gwill.

3 minutes ago, AUMASTERS said:

I say we blame it on Gwill.

Why? Clearly its Golf's fault

Archived