Antwaun Jackson & Marlon Character Transferring (Merged)

ClaytonAU

6 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Number told to me yesterday from someone who is a solid football guy. I was on the road most of the day.   

Well he's a ways off unless he knows 7 others leaving 

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

I don't know if we can say that just yet.  I actually applaud Gus for developing a harsh stance on not tolerating distractions on the team anymore.  If we remember, and as much as I liked Chizik, everyone got away with everything in that tenure.  When Gus came in, he would not tolerate those sort of things.  This is the same reason why I liked Charlie Strong at Texas when he almost cleared house his first summer because he did not like what the players were doing.  Gus did get away from that briefly with Duke, but eventually said enough was enough.  If these kids are going to be distractions to the team, get them out now.  Duke was a HUGE distraction in the 2015 season and we could have done without him.  JR almost caused a big distraction last year too.  Not worth it.  The second your players think they can get away with anything, you have lost control of your team.

On another note, we are in the culture, where if kids do not get their way, they pitch fits knowing someone will come to the rescue.  All their lives, they were told they would be the very best (like no one ever was, duh duh du nuh).  When they found they would not get to be the star player that year, they want to leave where another coach can tell them how amazing they are so they can transfer to them.  People are just not loyal anymore.  You see it in pro basketball too, where players leave the franchise that molded them into the players they are to chase rings.

I was just joking my dude lol . Nice response though . I agree with your reasonable response .

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I'm betting he is including the former walkon's who are now on sholly's. I will ask. 

The 80 number is not including walk ons cuz those schollies are only 1 year deals.

Regardless thanks for always getting & passing the info.

24 minutes ago, DAG said:

Didn't think I needed the yellow font but I let you goons type away. Do you get a warning for that acronym or nah?

Nah.  

Sorry.  I've been reading things from people who are serious that it's another Gus failure such that it's hard to tell anymore.

40 minutes ago, keesler said:

So the twitter rumor that grades were an issue are false?

Possibly.  Or it could be more than one thing going on.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

This is the time of year when it's normal for a few to drop off. They are through with spring practice and didn't move up the depth chart, the school term ends and they look elsewhere. This seems to be the case with Jackson. With Character, a player performing some action that gets him booted off can happen at any time.

While these two have the physical ability to have helped us had they applied themselves and kept a clean nose, now is a good time of year to clear the area and get ready to move toward fall camp with a group that wants to win games.

This 100% good luck to them!!!

We seem to lose around a dozen guys annually, which is about the same as every other program.  As long as Gus is able to replace 3-4*'s with more 3-4*s then it shouldn't even be noticeable a couple of years down the road.

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Possibly.  Or it could be more than one thing going on.

So possibly fighting with teammates and not doing (good) school work? That's a terrible combo for a COLLEGE athlete

BYE Felicia

Marlon Character Jr. involved in 'argument' with Auburn teammate prior to transfer, per source

James Crepea | jcrepea@al.com

Auburn Spring Practice

Auburn defensive back Marlon Character (8) works out Tuesday, April 4, 2017, during spring football practice at the Auburn Athletic Complex in Auburn, Ala. (Julie Bennett/jbennett@al.com) (Julie Bennett)

Marlon Character Jr. had an "argument" with a teammate in the weeks leading up to his transfer from the Auburn football team, according to a source.

The school announced Character and fellow redshirt freshman Antwuan Jackson Jr. are transferring from the program on Thursday.

The incident did not involve Jackson, the source said.

Multiple sources said the argument occurred on campus and became heated.

Via a spokesman, Auburn had not comment regarding the matter and Character Jr. has not returned a message from AL.com.

A three-star recruit out of Grady High in Atlanta, Character started his career at safety while redshirting last fall and moved to cornerback this spring.

i wonder if heated means a fight? i know these guys are young but do we not have any folks that can council these kids and stop it before it gets out of hand? or was maybe marlon asked to leave? it sure gets confusing.

5 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i wonder if heated means a fight? i know these guys are young but do we not have any folks that can council these kids and stop it before it gets out of hand? or was maybe marlon asked to leave? it sure gets confusing.

Unfortunately these kids are far more often taught to "defend themselves" which usually just means that they are escalating the situation instead of diffusing it. Nowadays, turning the other cheek is referred to as "punking out", and far too many people think that violence is appropriate when someone just feels they have been wronged, instead of as a last resort to defend from a physical attack.

to throw in some humor here....it could have been worse. those kids in the heated argument could have been wearing man rompers and hair buns like they be wearing in turd town......now c.mon thats funny so show me some love....

6 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

to throw in some humor here....it could have been worse. those kids in the heated argument could have been wearing man rompers and hair buns like they be wearing in turd town......now c.mon thats funny so show me some love....

Careful... our boy Cam has already been photographed in one of those ridiculous rompers.

yes you are right! i forgot all about it. i doubt he has enough hair for a man bun tho.....if that helps   lmao

25 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Unfortunately these kids are far more often taught to "defend themselves" which usually just means that they are escalating the situation instead of diffusing it. Nowadays, turning the other cheek is referred to as "punking out", and far too many people think that violence is appropriate when someone just feels they have been wronged, instead of as a last resort to defend from a physical attack.

My thing is...a lot of times guys do turn the other cheek, or try to ignore it.  But everyone has their limits.  At some point, they've had enough and stand up for themselves.  That doesn't mean they go over and punch the instigator in the face, but it might mean finally telling him where to stick his opinions.  I'm sorry, but that is a perfectly normal response and is not "escalating" the situation.  I mean, it might escalate it in the mind of an obnoxious bully.  To a bully, even something as simple as "back off" is taken as a challenge.  But in the minds of normal, well-adjusted people it's simply refusing to be a doormat forever.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

My thing is...a lot of times guys do turn the other cheek, or try to ignore it.  But everyone has their limits.  At some point, they've had enough and stand up for themselves.  That doesn't mean they go over and punch the instigator in the face, but it might mean finally telling him where to stick his opinions.  I'm sorry, but that is a perfectly normal response and is not "escalating" the situation.  I mean, it might escalate it in the mind of an obnoxious bully.  But in the minds of normal, well-adjusted people it's simply refusing to be a doormat forever.

I get what you are saying, Titan, but there are always other options.  Unless the instigator is in an ultimate position of power, there are ways to deal with them. They aren't always what society deems "cool" but they are effective and prevent having to stoop to the level of the instigator. The only time aggression should be a normal response is if you are in physical danger, and only then if there isn't an immediate way out.

19 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I get what you are saying, Titan, but there are always other options.  Unless the instigator is in an ultimate position of power, there are ways to deal with them. They aren't always what society deems "cool" but they are effective and prevent having to stoop to the level of the instigator. The only time aggression should be a normal response is if you are in physical danger, and only then if there isn't an immediate way out.

I don't think it's "stooping to the level of an instigator" to tell him to knock it off and stop bothering you.  But that simple act of standing up for oneself is enough to "provoke" a bully many times.  Because it's about power and if they back down, they lose it.  Of course if someone had monumental patience it would be great to privately ask the guy what's going on and talk through what he's got against you.  But there comes a time in every boy's life where you have someone that isn't interested in peaceful and calm discussion of the matter.  They're just kind of an a**hole trying to prove how tough they are.  So at some point you may have more forcefully tell them to leave you alone.  Again, I'm not saying go start a physical altercation.  But if the mere act of telling them to bug off is going to "escalate" things for them, that's their problem and their fault, not yours.

This is how they need to resolve their confrontations. Very effective.  Can learn a lot from this masterpiece of a show:

15 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I don't think it's "stooping to the level of an instigator" to tell him to knock it off and stop bothering you.  But that simple act of standing up for oneself is enough to "provoke" a bully many times.  Because it's about power and if they back down, they lose it.  Of course if someone had monumental patience it would be great to privately ask the guy what's going on and talk through what he's got against you.  But there comes a time in every boy's life where you have someone that isn't interested in peaceful and calm discussion of the matter.  They're just kind of an a**hole trying to prove how tough they are.  So at some point you may have more forcefully tell them to leave you alone.  Again, I'm not saying go start a physical altercation.  But if the mere act of telling them to bug off is going to "escalate" things for them, that's their problem and their fault, not yours.

Believe me... I know all about it. I was the target of a few of these "a**holes when I was younger. At the same time I was never in a fight (not to say I never got punched... I just never punched back).  Here's the thing... by the time I graduated and moved on, the majority of the same guys who gave me crap ended up considering me one of the coolest people they knew. At the same time, I also learned A LOT about myself and what made them decide to give me crap in the first place. We all ended up being better people for it.

As far as telling them to "bug off", if you can do it in a way that's not aggressive, great, but my experience with college kids is that it's usually something more like "**** off" followed by some sort of name calling.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Believe me... I know all about it. I was the target of a few of these "a**holes when I was younger. At the same time I was never in a fight (not to say I never got punched... I just never punched back).  Here's the thing... by the time I graduated and moved on, the majority of the same guys who gave me crap ended up considering me one of the coolest people they knew. At the same time, I also learned A LOT about myself and what made them decide to give me crap in the first place. We all ended up being better people for it.

As far as telling them to "bug off", if you can do it in a way that's not aggressive, great, but my experience with college kids is that it's usually something more like "**** off" followed by some sort of name calling.

I promise I'm not trying to bust your chops on this.  I appreciate your non-violent stance.  I do think one should do whatever they can to avoid it becoming a physical altercation.  And in the case of teammates, I'd go further to try and see if we can figure out where the unexplained animus is coming from and work toward a resolution that ends with respect if not friendship.  I do get and agree with that.

My only sticking point in this is that it still feels like you're trying to pin blame on someone who isn't the instigator and that we don't know of any "escalating" things the victim did.  It seems at times as if you think the mere act of standing up to them (verbally - and not telling them to **** off or you're going to kick their ass) is some sort of escalating thing.  And in the mind of the bully maybe it is, but their mind is not the standard to measure things by.  It comes off slightly like blaming a sexual assault victim for being a tease, dressing suggestively, or going along with things then blue balling the guy at the last minute (note: I'm not saying you actually believe such a thing).  It's victim blaming to me.  And we simply do not have any information whatsoever to suggest that was the case anyway.  All we know is there was some sort of incident and one guy was told to find a new home and the other is still on the team.

22 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

My only sticking point in this is that it still feels like you're trying to pin blame on someone who isn't the instigator and that we don't know of any "escalating" things the victim did.

If, in this case you feel like I'm trying to pin blame on society, then you are right.  Other than that, I have no motives in my conversation with fifty.  I just think it's very sad that a large portion of our society preaches violence as a correct response to any transgression. I don't know how many times I've heard someone, in all seriousness, say that they would beat someone's a** if they didn't comply with their wishes or they owned a gun so they could shoot anyone who messed with their stuff. I wholeheartedly agree with fifty that we need to educate our society better about how to deal with aggressive situations.

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

This is the time of year when it's normal for a few to drop off. They are through with spring practice and didn't move up the depth chart, the school term ends and they look elsewhere. This seems to be the case with Jackson. With Character, a player performing some action that gets him booted off can happen at any time.

While these two have the physical ability to have helped us had they applied themselves and kept a clean nose, now is a good time of year to clear the area and get ready to move toward fall camp with a group that wants to win games.

Exactly. I don't imagine playing for CRG is everybody's piece of pie either. I don't know if that's what caused AJ to leave but I wouldn't be surprised at that coaching style turning certain types of people away.

i haven't kept up with this story too much so I may be missing something but I've read the articles concerning the argument. 

I never played college ball but can only imagine that "fights"/pushing matches happen all the time, like they did in high school. Probably less often but I'd find it hard to believe that it would be everytime two players get in an argument, one of them is kicked off. 

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

If, in this case you feel like I'm trying to pin blame on society, then you are right.  Other than that, I have no motives in my conversation with fifty.  I just think it's very sad that a large portion of our society preaches violence as a correct response to any transgression. I don't know how many times I've heard someone, in all seriousness, say that they would beat someone's a** if they didn't comply with their wishes or they owned a gun so they could shoot anyone who messed with their stuff. I wholeheartedly agree with fifty that we need to educate our society better about how to deal with aggressive situations.

I'm coming into this conversation late, but I wanted to thank you for your posts. Our society tolerates way too much violence. We need to keep our hands to ourselves. On that note, I'm not sure what transpired with our player, but I'm glad Gus has learned to take action quickly. This team has the potential to be great and we need to be distraction free. 

Archived