Antwaun Jackson & Marlon Character Transferring (Merged)

ClaytonAU

My take on this, is there has been some type of on-going issue with MC and someone else. I would like to think that he has been warned and given chances to correct the situation but failed to do so and him being asked to transfer was the final solution. I prefer it to be something like this, instead of a one time scrape between a couple of guys.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

So anytime a football player is involved in a fight off the field he is considered a thug in your mind? 

If a football player starts a fight off the field... yea, I'd classify him as that... same for anyone else who starts a fight. If a football player defends himself against an equal opponent, then that's a different story, but unless he's facing another athlete, then he's likely facing a drunk idiot who is much smaller and weaker than he is and he should walk away.

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

If a football player starts a fight off the field... yea, I'd classify him as that... same for anyone else who starts a fight. If a football player defends himself against an equal opponent, then that's a different story, but unless he's facing another athlete, then he's likely facing a drunk idiot who is much smaller and weaker than he is and he should walk away.

Impossible to always walk away in certain scenarios . If someone is coming after you , you are not going to think , well is this guy an athlete or not.

54 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I was an athlete at one point in my life and was involved in fisticuffs outside of the court a couple times over the years. Would I be considered a thug? Not needling you, lion, just trying to understand. I never took you as as a blanket statement kind of dude considering you dive deep into the details of certain topics to help form your opinion.

No offense, Tiger, but I have VERY little tolerance for violence unless someone's physical well being is in question and they need to defend themselves. I have less tolerance when it comes to athletes who are physically stronger than most people they encounter. It makes me want to puke when I hear people defend an athlete who lays someone out with the argument that the other party "started it by initiating physical contact". Joe Mixon being a prime example. He knew full well that the girl couldn't really hurt him. The same is true for a large percentage of guys that athletes come in contact with. With great power comes great responsibility... learn to walk away or avoid those types of situations to begin with.

Now, if an athlete gets into it with another guy who can at least do a little damage, I'm not saying they need to be prosecuted or even punished, but I am saying that it dramatically lowers my opinion of them as a person. They are no different than someone using an advanced position of power to push people around. If, on the other hand, an athlete physically hurts someone who has no chance of hurting them, I think said athlete should be punished to furthest extent of the law.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Impossible to always walk away in certain scenarios . If someone is coming after you , you are not going to think , well is this guy an athlete or not.

True... there are always extenuating circumstances. One should question, however, why someone would be "coming at them". I mean, I've pissed plenty of people off in my day, for one reason or another, and I've never had anyone come at me. I've had people throw a punch, but when you take a hit and don't respond, that tends to diffuse the situation.  I've yet to meet a football player, who isn't a kicker, that can't take a hit.

29 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

My take on this, is there has been some type of on-going issue with MC and someone else. I would like to think that he has been warned and given chances to correct the situation but failed to do so and him being asked to transfer was the final solution. I prefer it to be something like this, instead of a one time scrape between a couple of guys.

If Gus is acting true to form, this is definitely not an isolated incident. Other than Rice, who was a no brainer, Gus has a history of giving multiple chances, internally, before showing a kid the door. 

Just now, lionheartkc said:

True... there are always extenuating circumstances. One should question, however, why someone would be "coming at them". I mean, I've pissed plenty of people off in my day, for one reason or another, and I've never had anyone come at me. I've had people throw a punch, but when you take a hit and don't respond, that tends to diffuse the situation.  I've yet to meet a football player, who isn't a kicker, that can't take a hit.

I am sure a lot of people can take a hit , but that doesn't mean sit there and get walloped lol. I don't know how many fights you have been , but I've seen people get into it over some petty . Particularly if you are someone of stature. Dudes will try you just because you get more girls than them. I am not saying you are wrong in your stance . It just seems a little narrow for me. Oh well.

9 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

No offense, Tiger, but I have VERY little tolerance for violence unless someone's physical well being is in question and they need to defend themselves. I have less tolerance when it comes to athletes who are physically stronger than most people they encounter. It makes me want to puke when I hear people defend an athlete who lays someone out with the argument that the other party "started it by initiating physical contact". Joe Mixon being a prime example. He knew full well that the girl couldn't really hurt him. The same is true for a large percentage of guys that athletes come in contact with. With great power comes great responsibility... learn to walk away.

Now, if an athlete gets into it with another guy who can at least do a little damage, I'm not saying they need to be prosecuted or even punished, but I am saying that it dramatically lowers my opinion of them as a person. They are no different than someone using an advanced position of power to push people around. If, on the other hand, an athlete physically hurts someone who has no chance of hurting them, I think said athlete should be punished to furthest extent of the law.

I can respect your view of non-violence but are you saying if someone were to physically attack Cam Newton at 6'5 250 it would lower your opinion of Cam if he fought back out of your sympathy for the attacker? If someone tries to take a swing at Cam Newton it is assumed that this person has already weighed the positives and negatives of going after him and what comes after the initial swing or attack is fair game. These are football players not professional boxers who's arms are essentially weapons. Also fighting another man vs fighting a woman are not on the same level IMO. No circumstance makes it ok for a man to strike a woman. 

The athlete should not get blamed or held to another standard for being physically bigger. If someone coerces you into a fight, for any reason other than you wronging them, that person forfeits any benefit of the doubt JMO. It's kind of like saying you respect someone's 4.0 GPA less because they are naturally smarter. 

16 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I can respect your view of non-violence but are you saying if someone were to physically attack Cam Newton at 6'5 250 it would lower your opinion of Cam if he fought back out of your sympathy for the attacker? If someone tries to take a swing at Cam Newton it is assumed that this person has already weighed the positives and negatives of going after him and what comes after the initial swing or attack is fair game. These are football players not professional boxers who's arms are essentially weapons. Also fighting another man vs fighting a woman are not on the same level IMO. No circumstance makes it ok for a man to strike a woman. 

The athlete should not get blamed or held to another standard for being physically bigger. If someone coerces you into a fight, for any reason other than you wronging them, that person forfeits any benefit of the doubt JMO. It's kind of like saying you respect someone's 4.0 GPA less because they are naturally smarter. 

The sad thing about it , some of this common folks want athletes to harm them to get something out of it . They will initiate an incident then try to get pain and suffering payments from it. 

19 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I can respect your view of non-violence but are you saying if someone were to physically attack Cam Newton at 6'5 250 it would lower your opinion of Cam if he fought back out of your sympathy for the attacker? If someone tries to take a swing at Cam Newton it is assumed that this person has already weighed the positives and negatives of going after him and what comes after the initial swing or attack is fair game. 

I see what you did there.

25 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am sure a lot of people can take a hit , but that doesn't mean sit there and get walloped lol. I don't know how many fights you have been , but I've seen people get into it over some petty . Particularly if you are someone of stature. Dudes will try you just because you get more girls than them. I am not saying you are wrong in your stance . It just seems a little narrow for me. Oh well.

Yea... there are some great stories out there about how guys like Stallone handle the fact that, when they are in a bar without body guards, that invariably some drunk idiot gets it in his head that they want to "take down the champ". I've heard it's pretty common with MMA guys, too.  Maybe they should be doing the rounds of college athletes teaching techniques for diffusing the situation.

26 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I can respect your view of non-violence but are you saying if someone were to physically attack Cam Newton at 6'5 250 it would lower your opinion of Cam if he fought back out of your sympathy for the attacker?

Not out of sympathy for the attacker, but yea, it would lower my opinion of him. Generally speaking, if someone is attacking someone against whom they are at a sever disadvantage, you can count on one of two things, they are either temporarily or permanently mentally impaired.

If it make you feel any better about me... if someone attacked Cam's wife or kid, I'd respect the hell out of him for taking that loser out.

32 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

If Gus is acting true to form, this is definitely not an isolated incident. Other than Rice, who was a no brainer, Gus has a history of giving multiple chances, internally, before showing a kid the door. [and above]

Loath as I am to even wade into this, I must applaud your calm, thoughtful consistency in standing your ground.

Mr. Lion, sir - kudos.

Just now, AUld fAUx@ said:

Loath as I am to even wade into this, I must applaud your calm, thoughtful consistency in standing your ground.

Mr. Lion, sir - kudos.

Thank you... Calm is my new way of life.  When you are fighting cancer, nothing else is really worth getting worked up about.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Thank you... Calm is my new way of life.  When you are fighting cancer, nothing else is really worth getting worked up about.

and on this front,

continue to fight back.

WDE

20 hours ago, cole256 said:

So the people with kids mean to tell me two brothers or sisters NEVER fought? Gtho.  And it's usually from not having space and seeing each other all the time....the sensitivity on here is amazing

I appreciate your opinion but see things differently. My sons fought when they were little kids. Now they are young adults and should know better.  Me and my wife see each other all the time and have little space. So do me and my employees. So did me and my Army buddies at Auburn. I'm proud to say we work out our issues without assaulting one another. 

Disclaimer: I have no idea what happened with our player so this post is not intended for him. I'm simply responding to the opinion stated above. 

18 hours ago, DAG said:

The sad thing about it , some of this common folks want athletes to harm them to get something out of it . They will initiate an incident then try to get pain and suffering payments from it. 

RIGHT?? It's crazy.

17 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Not out of sympathy for the attacker, but yea, it would lower my opinion of him. Generally speaking, if someone is attacking someone against whom they are at a sever disadvantage, you can count on one of two things, they are either temporarily or permanently mentally impaired.

If it make you feel any better about me... if someone attacked Cam's wife or kid, I'd respect the hell out of him for taking that loser out.

We can agree to disagree, man. But your opinion doesn't change my opinion or make me feel "worse" about you. You seem like a good guy and are always respectful on here and to be honest that's the only thing that would alter my opinion of you or anyone for that matter. Opinions will never make me change my opinion of someone

On 5/23/2017 at 3:35 PM, Gowebb11 said:

I appreciate your opinion but see things differently. My sons fought when they were little kids. Now they are young adults and should know better.  Me and my wife see each other all the time and have little space. So do me and my employees. So did me and my Army buddies at Auburn. I'm proud to say we work out our issues without assaulting one another. 

Disclaimer: I have no idea what happened with our player so this post is not intended for him. I'm simply responding to the opinion stated above. 

I don't see what you and your wife and employees have to do with anything. This kid was fresh out of high school and in a competitive setting, the issues with your wife and employees should be totally different....but I was just offering a perspective of an athlete or former one that been through it and still see it now. I fight isn't a big deal for many of us but I guess people that didn't really deal with it or maybe never fought just see it different

Also different people have different vices and different peeves. Just because a person have a certain opinion doesn't make it law, just because a person can handle one situation a particular way doesn't mean everybody can. 

I can't stand a person that run their mouth and tries to instigate stuff and personally and verbally attacks people because they know they don't have any accountability. That's a coward. 

Some people have vices with drinking, I personally don't have a qbdesire or a problem at all....I think it's crap for me to say I look down on a person because they might have a problem. I then say I haven't ever wanted to take a drink or ever been drunk so a person with a problem is weak....just an arrogant take IMO. 

I know people that literally wouldn't have survived their upbringing if they just let people attack them and didn't fight back....looking down on that....well

12 hours ago, cole256 said:

I don't see what you and your wife and employees have to do with anything. This kid was fresh out of high school and in a competitive setting, the issues with your wife and employees should be totally different....but I was just offering a perspective of an athlete or former one that been through it and still see it now. I fight isn't a big deal for many of us but I guess people that didn't really deal with it or maybe never fought just see it different

For what it's worth, I fought some when I was younger. And my sons know how to take care of themselves if they have to. In a world full of guns and knives and violence it's best if they learn to walk away. I just don't see a good future in it. The last fight I participated in was in a combat zone and if I go to my grave without another one, I'll be very content. Thanks for the exchange and War Eagle ? 

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

For what it's worth, I fought some when I was younger. And my sons know how to take care of themselves if they have to. In a world full of guns and knives and violence it's best if they learn to walk away. I just don't see a good future in it. The last fight I participated in was in a combat zone and if I go to my grave without another one, I'll be very content. Thanks for the exchange and War Eagle ? 

It's definitely different now, you're right kids run to knives and guns now...and when you get older and are a grown man you can't expect to just have a good ol scrap anymore. And yes I agree if walking away is an option it's the best one, especially if you're doing so because it's your choice and not out of fear.

I commend a guy if he can take a punch to his face and just walk off....like I said we all have things we probably could work on. That's not something I could do personally though. 

A punch to the face warrants immediate self defense. I'm just saying walk away or try another way to resolve the issue before it gets there if at all possible. 

12 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It's definitely different now, you're right kids run to knives and guns now...and when you get older and are a grown man you can't expect to just have a good ol scrap anymore. And yes I agree if walking away is an option it's the best one, especially if you're doing so because it's your choice and not out of fear.

I commend a guy if he can take a punch to his face and just walk off....like I said we all have things we probably could work on. That's not something I could do personally though. 

Each situation is different and the person is different. Some one from a tough neighborhood where at times you fought to survive would handle an attack differently then somebody who was raised in an area where there was almost no fighting or if there was a fight it was almost never serious and nobody got hurt badly. The environment you grew up in would affect your reaction, If you had a few drinks it might tend to make it easier for you to over-react. If somebody sucker punches you it is possible you react before you realize the person is much smaller than you.  I have great respect for people who are strong enough to take a stand for non-violence that is often harder than retaliating but as for automatically lowering my opinion of somebody who retaliated I would have to truly understand the circumstances and we usually don't get enough information to easily judge other out of a two paragraph article. 

Sounds like they are indeed looking to follow Muschamp and TWill.

"A former four-star prospect and top 50 recruit in 2016, Jackson in interested in transferring to South Carolina, which he said was "at the top" of his list because of his relationship with Gamecocks coach Will Muschamp and defensive coordinator Travaris Robinson from when they recruited him to Auburn.

"I wouldn't be surprised if they gave me a call (if he's released)," Jackson told The State. "They (Auburn) don't want me in the SEC at all, not even the SEC East."

Jackson, who has not returned multiple messages from AL.com, told the State he is unsure where he'll go if his appeal is denied, but he'd consider a season of junior college or elsewhere in the ACC, Big 10 of Big XII.

"My question was: Why are they blocking Ohio State for no reason?" Jackson said. "They just put Ohio State on there for no reason. My question to them is why are they blocking me from a Big Ten school when they don't have anything to do with Big Ten schools? Why didn't they block me from Michigan or Indiana or any other Big Ten school? Why would they do that immediately?"

The State claims South Carolina could also be an option for Character, who has not spoken publicly on the matter and not returned multiple messages from AL.com."

Link

I have no problem with the blocks. Thoughts?

Archived