Antwaun Jackson & Marlon Character Transferring (Merged)

ClaytonAU

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Sorry, and please forgive my ignorance.

What means ;]?

Just thanking him for giving me a shout out and not letting anyone forget IT WAS I who first called greg brown goober looking! lol any pub is good pub!

5 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Image result for Golf's fault meme

Golfing requires goofy pants and a fat ass. 

Happy Gilmore

17 minutes ago, AUMASTERS said:

I say we blame it on Gwill.

CO SIGN THIS!!! I will take a knee on this one and accept full blame and responsibility.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

CO SIGN THIS!!! I will take a knee on this one and accept full blame and responsibility.

Say what you want...Its still Golf's fault

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Say what you want...Its still Golf's fault

is it because he looks like a goober??? lol

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

is it because he looks like a goober??? lol

He past Goober a long time ago. Now he's just the nut

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He past Goober a long time ago. Now he's just the nut

houston-nutt-e1445880674843.jpg

He is a Nutt you say?

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

houston-nutt-e1445880674843.jpg

He is a Nutt you say?

That's pretty low...so, yes.

Whose to blame for this , I will give you a couple of options:

A. Gus

B. Answer A

C Answer B

D. All the above 

Two observations from today...

1. It appears that we're going to have to kick somebody off the team for fighting every year to "send a message" to the team. The team isn't obviously getting the message if we have to do it every year. Are players fighting because we are recruiting "thugs"? Or do we not have the type of "team" environment that we should? Either way, it goes back to Malzahn...

2. AJ Jr. has been portrayed as a DL that didn't give the extra effort. I'm not bashing Garner because he's obviously had great success getting players to the league. But I am starting to question his methods. From all accounts he's a hard-nosed coach that likes to break a player down from his "high school ranking". There are certain players that simply do not respond to this type of coaching. Montravious Adams didn't start giving consistent effort until his senior year. The light-switch still hasn't came on for Byron Cowart in an actual game. Now AJ Jr. is willing to waste another year of eligibility and transfer somewhere else. Maybe Garner needs to change his methods in order to reach more players. I remember watching the 30-for-30 "Best that Never Was". Barry Switzer tried the tough guy approach on Marcus Dupree and he ended up transferring. His uncle mentioned that Marcus was the type of player that would run through a brick wall for you if you patted him on the back. But if you cussed him and yelled at him, then he would lay down and quit. Just saying...

4 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I am honestly shocked with all of these transfers we have had the past couple of years that Byron Cowart was not one of them. I thought he would of been gone after his first year did not go as well as he thought it would. Glad he is sticking around!

Welp, now he gone. Then we can blame you :poke:

11 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

1. It appears that we're going to have to kick somebody off the team for fighting every year to "send a message" to the team. The team isn't obviously getting the message if we have to do it every year. Are players fighting because we are recruiting "thugs"? Or do we not have the type of "team" environment that we should? Either way, it goes back to Malzahn...

2. AJ Jr. has been portrayed as a DL that didn't give the extra effort. I'm not bashing Garner because he's obviously had great success getting players to the league. But I am starting to question his methods. From all accounts he's a hard-nosed coach that likes to break a player down from his "high school ranking". There are certain players that simply do not respond to this type of coaching. Montravious Adams didn't start giving consistent effort until his senior year. The light-switch still hasn't came on for Byron Cowart in an actual game. Now AJ Jr. is willing to waste another year of eligibility and transfer somewhere else. Maybe Garner needs to change his methods in order to reach more players. I remember watching the 30-for-30 "Best that Never Was". Barry Switzer tried the tough guy approach on Marcus Dupree and he ended up transferring. His uncle mentioned that Marcus was the type of player that would run through a brick wall for you if you patted him on the back. But if you cussed him and yelled at him, then he would lay down and quit. Just saying...

Boys and young men fight... Go figure.  If that's on Gus then my dad was an utter failure as a parent.  

CRG has a tough love relationship with his players.  He expects premium effort every play or you won't be in there.  He asks you to dig deep into your soul to find out what you will give.  If you lay it all on the line for yourself, for him, for the team, and for the university he will get you to the league.  Think any successful coach accepts anything less then you're wrong.

13 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

What Garner is doing is fine and every athlete knows what they are getting into before they sign.   My theory on Adams is that he gave consistent effort but was getting too many snaps do to lack of depth and not much rest do to a pathetic offense his junior year

51 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Welp, now he gone. Then we can blame you :poke:

when he kills it this year and leaves for the nfl I will wear that blame proudly!

I think Sam Sherrod could get some backup pt at one of the safety spots with the way he played in the spring game.

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

Where does 73 come from? After the rest of the 2017 class enrolls we will be at 80.

Still not a full depth chart. Is he hinting at something by saying 73? As in, more players leaving, mainly when practice starts? What I'm saying is, the insiders knew Jovon was trouble long before he actually got booted.

Compared to all SEC teams besides UAT, how are we on depth? What is our issue with so many players getting in trouble? I mean it's nowhere near as bad as it was during 2011-12, but that's setting the bar incredibly low.

This isn't good......I noted how this isn't good when it started with Irvin leaving....Now I know the nature of football boards, it will go from he's a horrible person to we didn't need him anyway but you keep saying this over and over at the same positions, well let's just say don't start the crying when your pass rush and coverage sucks during the season

9 hours ago, DAG said:

A. Gus

B. Answer A

C Answer B

D. All the above 

I don't know if we can say that just yet.  I actually applaud Gus for developing a harsh stance on not tolerating distractions on the team anymore.  If we remember, and as much as I liked Chizik, everyone got away with everything in that tenure.  When Gus came in, he would not tolerate those sort of things.  This is the same reason why I liked Charlie Strong at Texas when he almost cleared house his first summer because he did not like what the players were doing.  Gus did get away from that briefly with Duke, but eventually said enough was enough.  If these kids are going to be distractions to the team, get them out now.  Duke was a HUGE distraction in the 2015 season and we could have done without him.  JR almost caused a big distraction last year too.  Not worth it.  The second your players think they can get away with anything, you have lost control of your team.

On another note, we are in the culture, where if kids do not get their way, they pitch fits knowing someone will come to the rescue.  All their lives, they were told they would be the very best (like no one ever was, duh duh du nuh).  When they found they would not get to be the star player that year, they want to leave where another coach can tell them how amazing they are so they can transfer to them.  People are just not loyal anymore.  You see it in pro basketball too, where players leave the franchise that molded them into the players they are to chase rings.

10 hours ago, DAG said:

A. Gus

B. Answer A

C Answer B

D. All the above 

GMAFB.  Please tell me this is sarcasm.  If it's not:

Marlon got into an altercation of some sort with another player.  It was bad enough and enough his fault that he was told to find somewhere else to play and the other player is still on the team.

AJ should have been pushing for a lot of playing time this fall but his work in the weight room was less than stellar.  

You can't make kids do the right things and to do what is needed to be great.  You can show them, encourage them, ride them, but you can't make them.  When the freshman class reports we will have 81 scholarship kids on roster and a bunch of walk-ons joining them.  The vast majority are keeping out of trouble, working hard in the weight room, at practice and in film study.  They are good friends and teammates to each other.  The fact that a couple of guys for differing reasons couldn't follow their teammates' lead is not on Gus.

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

GMAFB

Marlon got into an altercation of some sort with another player.  It was bad enough and enough his fault that he was told to find somewhere else to play and the other player is still on the team.

AJ should have been pushing for a lot of playing time this fall but his work in the weight room was less than stellar.  

You can't make kids do the right things and to do what is needed to be great.  You can show them, encourage them, ride them, but you can't make them.

This! You can't tell exactly what a kid is going to be willing to do when he gets here. Most of these kids walk all over their competition in high school so they don't have to work for it. Part of me thinks this is exactly what happened to Jeremy Johnson. Big kid, big arm, but he wasn't tested in high school. When he came here, he planned on being the back up and never worked for it and by the time we needed him to start, he wasn't ready for the speed.

This is the time of year when it's normal for a few to drop off. They are through with spring practice and didn't move up the depth chart, the school term ends and they look elsewhere. This seems to be the case with Jackson. With Character, a player performing some action that gets him booted off can happen at any time.

While these two have the physical ability to have helped us had they applied themselves and kept a clean nose, now is a good time of year to clear the area and get ready to move toward fall camp with a group that wants to win games.

16 hours ago, ellitor said:

Where does 73 come from? After the rest of the 2017 class enrolls we will be at 80.

Number told to me yesterday from someone who is a solid football guy. I was on the road most of the day.   

24 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

GMAFB.  Please tell me this is sarcasm.  If it's not:

You can't make kids do the right things and to do what is needed to be great.  You can show them, encourage them, ride them, but you can't make them.  When the freshman class reports we will have 81 scholarship kids on roster and a bunch of walk-ons joining them.  The vast majority are keeping out of trouble, working hard in the weight room, at practice and in film study.  They are good friends and teammates to each other.  The fact that a couple of guys for differing reasons couldn't follow their teammates' lead is not on Gus.

Didn't think I needed the yellow font but I let you goons type away. Do you get a warning for that acronym or nah?

Archived