Approval of Gus - poll

LKEEL75

SEC Country is doing a poll with some pretty interesting results considering how many people thing CGM should be on the hot seat.

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/gus-malzahn-auburn-football-approval-rating-05-19-2017

I did not copy the article because it is more about the live poll than the article.  So go there and check out the poll.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be careful with this thread, FYI.  This could cause another firestorm...

41 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I would be careful with this thread, FYI.  This could cause another firestorm...

Agreed.  I will delete if it goes off the deep end.

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The vocal minority always throw the biggest fits

So you think Gus is safe, because according to you the people that think he should be on the hot-seat are just throwing a fit?

Strongly approve  33.33%  (40 votes)

Personally, I haven't set any final verdict on Gus.

i like what he did with the defense and highly approve so far. Bringing in Champ and Co helped us get some of our funk back on that side of the ball. And so far all of his hires (post Champ) have seemed solid. 

I dislike how long it took him to do something about the offense. The fans were screaming for a change years before it happened and we continued to see under developed pass games and runs every first down. 

I do, however, approve of Gus getting rid of lashlee. I would have voted to do it earlier but he made the right call. Jury is also still out on CCL. I like what he's already started doing recruiting and coaching wise but I'll wait to make my decision until I sit through a season and notice that Gus has given "full" freedom to an OC not using a Gus written playbook. 

^ Those numbers seem about right. The line between approve and disapprove probably shrunk over the last year but he can make a huge case for himself after this year.

I just hope if we have a good season CGM continues to evaluate what can make him a better HC. 

I don't know how you could fault someone for not being satisfied with the state of things right now.  By that I mean, on the field results.  Three straight losses each to our two biggest rivals.  Two straight 5-loss seasons mostly due to QB problems.  None of that should make anyone happy.  

But it also doesn't tell the whole story.  It doesn't show that our defense has made tremendous strides the last two seasons.  It doesn't register that by all accounts we are in better shape at QB than we have been since Nick Marshall left.  It doesn't really show the talented WR corp that we have with a year under it's belt.  And it doesn't show the offseason coaching moves, particularly Chip Lindsey coming in.

There are plenty of hopeful signs.  So while I wouldn't say I "approve" of his job performance right now, I would say that I'm optimistic that the right moves have been made and the pieces are in place to have a very good year and at least see significant improvement.  And if the injury bug avoids us it could even be a special year.

I believe Gus was bull headed about the offense up until about the 3rd of 4th game of last season. The light bulb seemed to finally go off and he realized that what worked in his offense in his early years as AU OC had been figured out by the DC's in the conference. He realized that he had to make a change or his job would be in very serious jeopardy. Hence the Lashlee separation and the CL hiring. He has also seen that he needed to back out of the offense somewhat and basically turn it over to someone else so he could focus on being the Head Coach of the team. This should help us also this year. If he has truly gotten over his stubbornness, we avoid the injury bug that bit us hard last year, and a few other things fall into place, we should win at least 10 games this year and he will remain at AU.

No matter which way a person may lean when it comes to Gus, it's a do or die year for him. Either we get it done or we don't. Another year of 8-5 and losing to UGA and Bama.......we'll be on the market for a new HC. Plain and simple.

58 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

So you think Gus is safe, because according to you the people that think he should be on the hot-seat are just throwing a fit?

That comment, while appropriate to this subject, was more of a generalization type of commentary. Although I'm glad you inferred what I was implying.

As to my position on whether Gus is safe or not, I believe he was in a lot of trouble at the end of last year. However, he has made the moves that have needed to been made as well as the ones he was told to make. He has found a QB, he has let CRL go, he has brought in better recruiters, strengthened his staff, and he has given the reigns over to CCL(for now).  So, as of now, I would say his seat has cooled significantly. That may all change this season where he needs to win against the big boys, but at this point, I think he has done all he can to stem the ire of those that wanted him gone. To that point though, many in the minority will still clamor on about how bad he is.

They should've added an indifferent stage. At this point, I can't say I approve or disapprove. You also have to factor in that some people could care less about winning vs those who only care about winning. Some individuals want a coach who keeps us away from violations, while also having a discipline, scholar team. That is it for approval. Others want wins. That defines a coaches success. I suppose it is fair too. A lot of gray areas when it comes to these things without any dialogue.

Guess I don't understand the purpose of this post.  

If it were Nov and we were 6-4 or something .?...but with prospects for a good season why divide the fan base on the basis of....nothing.?

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

That comment, while appropriate to this subject, was more of a generalization type of commentary. Although I'm glad you inferred what I was implying.

As to my position on whether Gus is safe or not, I believe he was in a lot of trouble at the end of last year. However, he has made the moves that have needed to been made as well as the ones he was told to make. He has found a QB, he has let CRL go, he has brought in better recruiters, strengthened his staff, and he has given the reigns over to CCL(for now).  So, as of now, I would say his seat has cooled significantly. That may all change this season where he needs to win against the big boys, but at this point, I think he has done all he can to stem the ire of those that wanted him gone. To that point though, many in the minority will still clamor on about how bad he is.

This.  I am in the vocal minority often (although there are times that the vocal minority are just expressing opinions that are contrary to the "if he/she coaches at AU they are great/just need to be given a chance/they have bad breaks that is why we are underperforming/we don't cheat and everyone else in the country does and that is why we underperform" crowd and gets labeled as constantly negative which is not always the case.  That being said, I agree with you.....I am fine with the moves Gus made this off season and I wish Gus success.  But like last season, for me, I only care about what happens on the field.  If we don't beat either uga or spuat this season, IMO, Gus deserves to be fired with quickness.

wde

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Guess I don't understand the purpose of this post.  

If it were Nov and we were 6-4 or something .?...but with prospects for a good season why divide the fan base on the basis of....nothing.?

LOL, this is just typical message board filler.  This thread will do nothing to divide the overall fan base.  

wde

15 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

LOL, this is just typical message board filler.  This thread will do nothing to divide the overall fan base.  

wde

Probably so...guess it just reminds us who is where on the issue....in case we have forgotten....

3 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I don't know how you could fault someone for not being satisfied with the state of things right now.  By that I mean, on the field results.  Three straight losses each to our two biggest rivals.  Two straight 5-loss seasons mostly due to QB problems.  None of that should make anyone happy.  

But it also doesn't tell the whole story.  It doesn't show that our defense has made tremendous strides the last two seasons.  It doesn't register that by all accounts we are in better shape at QB than we have been since Nick Marshall left.  It doesn't really show the talented WR corp that we have with a year under it's belt.  And it doesn't show the offseason coaching moves, particularly Chip Lindsey coming in.

There are plenty of hopeful signs.  So while I wouldn't say I "approve" of his job performance right now, I would say that I'm optimistic that the right moves have been made and the pieces are in place to have a very good year and at least see significant improvement.  And if the injury bug avoids us it could even be a special year.

Not to nitpick, and I would agree with everything you stated.  But, focusing on the bolded section, I would say that those are yet to be determined on a continuing basis.

Defense I would argue had a mindset change with Muschamp and his recruiting.  Steele was smart enough to simplify things and continue the progression.  It remains to be seen if he can replicate that this year.

QB is better because once again we hit the jackpot in a transfer JUCO.  Now I agree CL is an improvement and may change the culture, but that remains to be seen.

We had a TREMENDOUS talent infusion at WR last year, but it was due to the recruiting prowress of DC.  It remains to be seen if that talent can be maximized and if the recruiting can sustain that level of talent.  CL will help, but how KB does is yet to be determined.

So, will GM allow CL to improve the offense?  Can we maintain the talent on D and continue to keep the mindset to be a top D? Can we recruit and develop QB's out of high school?  Can we recruit and develop receivers out of high school?  

It looks promising, but we'll see.

Gus' AU record speaks for it's self. 12-2, 8-5, 7-6, 8-5. Anyone who feels good about that think Gus is getting better every year, go back rewatch a lot that we lost and how lost to teams like Georgia, A&M, Ole Miss & Bammer.

I think Gus has the support right now but he needs to show substantial improvement the next couple of years.  If the team doesn't come through with a 10+ win season in the next couple of years the pressure is going to increase to head in another direction.  This is his program now with his recruits and there should be no more excuses.  

Gus' off season "good" moves are only good until the next bad loss. At that point he'll return to full blown <insert negative adjective here> . That's the nature of the beast. 

4 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Gus' off season "good" moves are only good until the next bad loss. At that point he'll return to full blown <insert negative adjective here> . That's the nature of the beast. 

I think you're correct and the emphasis on "bad loss" is fitting. I also don't like bad wins. Yes they're better than losing but I hate feeling like I did after the Vandy game last year. 

7 hours ago, Crouching Tiger said:

Strongly approve  33.33%  (40 votes)

78% approval ratings isn't great, but higher than last one I saw!

42 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I think you're correct and the emphasis on "bad loss" is fitting. I also don't like bad wins. Yes they're better than losing but I hate feeling like I did after the Vandy game last year. 

You can say that again...The LSU win pissed me off to no means too.

Archived