Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lkeel75

Approval of Gus - poll

39 posts in this topic

Everybody should wait after this season....literally no excuses and we can see what is what

2 people like this

Anybody can have one good year.

I wanna see CGM put together at least 2 consecutive 10 win seasons. 3 or 4 would be even better. I want to see some level of consistency at that 10 win level to make me really believe Gus can coach with the big boys. 

At this point, I have a one year at a time wait and see approach on Gus like many others. He appears to have made some good decisions this offseason. Now let's go to work. No excuses. 

3 people like this

9 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Anybody can have one good year.

I wanna see CGM put together at least 2 consecutive 10 win seasons. 3 or 4 would be even better. I want to see some level of consistency at that 10 win level to make me really believe Gus can coach with the big boys. ......

You do realize that never in Auburn history have we "put together 2 consecutive 10 win seasons", right? I'd like to see it too, but historically it's asking Gus to perform a task that's never been done before.

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

You do realize that never in Auburn history have we "put together 2 consecutive 10 win seasons", right? I'd like to see it too, but historically it's asking Gus to perform a task that's never been done before.

Yessir, but only asking.

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

Really? What was our record in 1988 and 1989?  And but for a crappy Sugar Bowl vs Syracuse in 1987, it could have been 4 years in a row.  Tired of hearing this misnomer.

1 person likes this

8 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Really? What was our record in 1988 and 1989?  And but for a crappy Sugar Bowl vs Syracuse in 1987, it could have been 4 years in a row.  Tired of hearing this misnomer.

OOPS! 10-2 in both '88 and '89. I stand corrected.

1 person likes this

^^Somewhat skewed, considering the difference in number of games played. If we played 12 regular season games in 2005, that would've almost certainly been three straight 10-win seasons.

Edited by AUwent
1 person likes this

I voted disapprove. Gus has let several teams pass us by in terms of recruiting and coaching. Auburn has gone from a perennial favorite football team to a questionable team that has become a joke to many. I never thought his ego or stubborness about Lashlee would have gotten in the way, but it did. Now he's having to play catch up. If Gus doesnt beat Clemson, Georgia, LSU and loses to those we shouldn't, he's gone. What other D1 team do you believe would hire him?

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

Considering we would be playing 13-15 games instead of a max of 12. I do think that should be the standard for Gus (or whoever AU's coach may be) A baseline of 10 wins, an understandable dip below from time to time, as well as 12+ win "championship-type" season mixed in at least once or twice a decade. 

2 people like this

4 hours ago, AUwent said:

^^Somewhat skewed, considering the difference in number of games played. If we played 12 regular season games in 2005, that would've almost certainly been three straight 10-win seasons.

This X 1000.

People often seem to miss this concept, but a 10 win year now is like a 9 win year back when it was only 11 games per year, a feat Dye accomplished 7 out of 8 years from 1982-1989. So please, don't act as if that level of winning has never been accomplished at Auburn, we've just added an extra non-conference game to the schedules.

1 person likes this

17 hours ago, Builder said:

Gus has let several teams pass us by in terms of recruiting

Really?  Of whom do you speak? Auburn wasn't even recruiting near the level they are now until the Chizik/Malzahn era, and anyone who is consistently recruiting ahead of us always has.

Auburn has gone from a perennial favorite football team to a questionable team that has become a joke to many.

We haven't been a perennial favorite since the 80s. Tubbs won 1 SEC Championship. The only people who consider Auburn a "joke" are the ones who have always thought of us that way. I'm sure you can ask the teams we beat or even humiliated last year and they will tell you just how much of a joke we are considered to be.

If Gus doesnt beat Clemson, Georgia, LSU and loses to those we shouldn't, he's gone.

I guarantee you that no one with power over his job has this kind of ridiculous criteria. No one is going to say "if you don't beat three teams that have the potential to be top 10 or even top 5 teams in the country, we're going to fire you."

I swear, we are our own worst enemy most of the time. We win a National Championship and barely miss on another and instead of looking at that as a positive, we have "fans" who use it as a measuring stick for every other season, with anything less than contending for a title being a complete failure. Then, when someone tries to logically explain why the issues existed and how they are being corrected, that person is said to be making excuses. Yet when it's mentioned that we were #2 in the SEC last year and played in the freakin' Sugar Bowl, we are giving all kinds of excuses about how it was because the rest of the SEC was down.

Are these "fans" really just happier being miserable about the team? Maybe they all just have Saban envy. I don't know about you but I'd rather be happy and look at the positives... like the other 78% who approve of what Gus is doing.

2 people like this

@lionheartkc is right we have been spoiled. But people are just frustrated that when we aren't being spoiled we look SO underwhelming. We shouldn't ever be in an OT game against an FCS team or look so inept on offense that it makes being down 10 in the 3rd quarter feel like a 28 point deficit.

However, some people got so mad at the bad play/coaching that they have put some crazy high goals for CGM to reach before they trust him again, which isn't 100% fair. 

Also, our Sugar Bowl team was limping down the stretch, if we played OU during our win streak we might have beaten them. Well, our offense would've been better but Baker Mayfield would probably still be juicing our DLine.

Edited by Tiger
tagged lion
3 people like this

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

We shouldn't ever be in an OT game against an FCS team

At least we haven't lost to Louisiana-Monroe. ;D

2 people like this

I will likely never be a fan of Malzahn. I think he's a bad combination of a high school level coach with an NFL level ego. That said, he's done quite a bit after last year to try and correct the problem. I think this year is pivotal. With an experienced, top level talent at QB, solid returning offensive core, and what should be an above average defense, I think he has to be competitive in every game and win some against the best. If he has another year like is typical for him, I don't think he's gone...but that seat should be blazing hot. 

1 person likes this