Approval of Gus - poll

LKEEL75

Everybody should wait after this season....literally no excuses and we can see what is what

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody can have one good year.

I wanna see CGM put together at least 2 consecutive 10 win seasons. 3 or 4 would be even better. I want to see some level of consistency at that 10 win level to make me really believe Gus can coach with the big boys. 

At this point, I have a one year at a time wait and see approach on Gus like many others. He appears to have made some good decisions this offseason. Now let's go to work. No excuses. 

9 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Anybody can have one good year.

I wanna see CGM put together at least 2 consecutive 10 win seasons. 3 or 4 would be even better. I want to see some level of consistency at that 10 win level to make me really believe Gus can coach with the big boys. ......

You do realize that never in Auburn history have we "put together 2 consecutive 10 win seasons", right? I'd like to see it too, but historically it's asking Gus to perform a task that's never been done before.

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

You do realize that never in Auburn history have we "put together 2 consecutive 10 win seasons", right? I'd like to see it too, but historically it's asking Gus to perform a task that's never been done before.

Yessir, but only asking.

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

Really? What was our record in 1988 and 1989?  And but for a crappy Sugar Bowl vs Syracuse in 1987, it could have been 4 years in a row.  Tired of hearing this misnomer.

8 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Really? What was our record in 1988 and 1989?  And but for a crappy Sugar Bowl vs Syracuse in 1987, it could have been 4 years in a row.  Tired of hearing this misnomer.

OOPS! 10-2 in both '88 and '89. I stand corrected.

^^Somewhat skewed, considering the difference in number of games played. If we played 12 regular season games in 2005, that would've almost certainly been three straight 10-win seasons.

I voted disapprove. Gus has let several teams pass us by in terms of recruiting and coaching. Auburn has gone from a perennial favorite football team to a questionable team that has become a joke to many. I never thought his ego or stubborness about Lashlee would have gotten in the way, but it did. Now he's having to play catch up. If Gus doesnt beat Clemson, Georgia, LSU and loses to those we shouldn't, he's gone. What other D1 team do you believe would hire him?

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

Considering we would be playing 13-15 games instead of a max of 12. I do think that should be the standard for Gus (or whoever AU's coach may be) A baseline of 10 wins, an understandable dip below from time to time, as well as 12+ win "championship-type" season mixed in at least once or twice a decade. 

4 hours ago, AUwent said:

^^Somewhat skewed, considering the difference in number of games played. If we played 12 regular season games in 2005, that would've almost certainly been three straight 10-win seasons.

This X 1000.

People often seem to miss this concept, but a 10 win year now is like a 9 win year back when it was only 11 games per year, a feat Dye accomplished 7 out of 8 years from 1982-1989. So please, don't act as if that level of winning has never been accomplished at Auburn, we've just added an extra non-conference game to the schedules.

17 hours ago, Builder said:

Gus has let several teams pass us by in terms of recruiting

Really?  Of whom do you speak? Auburn wasn't even recruiting near the level they are now until the Chizik/Malzahn era, and anyone who is consistently recruiting ahead of us always has.

Auburn has gone from a perennial favorite football team to a questionable team that has become a joke to many.

We haven't been a perennial favorite since the 80s. Tubbs won 1 SEC Championship. The only people who consider Auburn a "joke" are the ones who have always thought of us that way. I'm sure you can ask the teams we beat or even humiliated last year and they will tell you just how much of a joke we are considered to be.

If Gus doesnt beat Clemson, Georgia, LSU and loses to those we shouldn't, he's gone.

I guarantee you that no one with power over his job has this kind of ridiculous criteria. No one is going to say "if you don't beat three teams that have the potential to be top 10 or even top 5 teams in the country, we're going to fire you."

I swear, we are our own worst enemy most of the time. We win a National Championship and barely miss on another and instead of looking at that as a positive, we have "fans" who use it as a measuring stick for every other season, with anything less than contending for a title being a complete failure. Then, when someone tries to logically explain why the issues existed and how they are being corrected, that person is said to be making excuses. Yet when it's mentioned that we were #2 in the SEC last year and played in the freakin' Sugar Bowl, we are giving all kinds of excuses about how it was because the rest of the SEC was down.

Are these "fans" really just happier being miserable about the team? Maybe they all just have Saban envy. I don't know about you but I'd rather be happy and look at the positives... like the other 78% who approve of what Gus is doing.

@lionheartkc is right we have been spoiled. But people are just frustrated that when we aren't being spoiled we look SO underwhelming. We shouldn't ever be in an OT game against an FCS team or look so inept on offense that it makes being down 10 in the 3rd quarter feel like a 28 point deficit.

However, some people got so mad at the bad play/coaching that they have put some crazy high goals for CGM to reach before they trust him again, which isn't 100% fair. 

Also, our Sugar Bowl team was limping down the stretch, if we played OU during our win streak we might have beaten them. Well, our offense would've been better but Baker Mayfield would probably still be juicing our DLine.

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

We shouldn't ever be in an OT game against an FCS team

At least we haven't lost to Louisiana-Monroe. ;D

I will likely never be a fan of Malzahn. I think he's a bad combination of a high school level coach with an NFL level ego. That said, he's done quite a bit after last year to try and correct the problem. I think this year is pivotal. With an experienced, top level talent at QB, solid returning offensive core, and what should be an above average defense, I think he has to be competitive in every game and win some against the best. If he has another year like is typical for him, I don't think he's gone...but that seat should be blazing hot. 

On 5/22/2017 at 11:51 AM, lionheartkc said:

Really?  Of whom do you speak? Auburn wasn't even recruiting near the level they are now until the Chizik/Malzahn era, and anyone who is consistently recruiting ahead of us always has.

We haven't been a perennial favorite since the 80s. Tubbs won 1 SEC Championship. The only people who consider Auburn a "joke" are the ones who have always thought of us that way. I'm sure you can ask the teams we beat or even humiliated last year and they will tell you just how much of a joke we are considered to be.

I guarantee you that no one with power over his job has this kind of ridiculous criteria. No one is going to say "if you don't beat three teams that have the potential to be top 10 or even top 5 teams in the country, we're going to fire you."

I swear, we are our own worst enemy most of the time. We win a National Championship and barely miss on another and instead of looking at that as a positive, we have "fans" who use it as a measuring stick for every other season, with anything less than contending for a title being a complete failure. Then, when someone tries to logically explain why the issues existed and how they are being corrected, that person is said to be making excuses. Yet when it's mentioned that we were #2 in the SEC last year and played in the freakin' Sugar Bowl, we are giving all kinds of excuses about how it was because the rest of the SEC was down.

Are these "fans" really just happier being miserable about the team? Maybe they all just have Saban envy. I don't know about you but I'd rather be happy and look at the positives... like the other 78% who approve of what Gus is doing.

I have higher expectations of AU football than whats been shown lately. We have been a punchline the last couple of years, shuffling quarterbacks, no offensive identity, no real back up or game plan. I blame Gus for that. I dont think its ridiculous to be competitive with the teams mentioned, exchanging wins at least would be nice. After a NC, we should have been in a position to reload , lead recruiting and not have to rebuild as many make excuses we're doing. At least you recognize there were "issues" and are now being corrected. And yes, the SEC was down and I'd rather not replay the exciting 2016 Sugar Bowl. 

Ask Gus, Football has become big business. I think he mentioned he wanted to act more like a CEO. If so, don't expect to be around long with mediocre years. The high profits (NC) wont make up for the losses in the between years. No school (business) is out there trying to hire him away. The City of Auburn is growing like crazy, but the revenues derived from AU Athletics and related sports business and giving is down. Thats a fact. If the approval polls came in at 78%, then thats just average. Im not certain that would fly in my business or academic world. I love AU but not crazy about the football program right now. WDE

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 5:40 PM, AU64 said:

Probably so...guess it just reminds us who is where on the issue....in case we have forgotten....

It's the offseason 64, people are bored, right?

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 3:15 PM, DAG said:

They should've added an indifferent stage. At this point, I can't say I approve or disapprove. You also have to factor in that some people could care less about winning vs those who only care about winning. Some individuals want a coach who keeps us away from violations, while also having a discipline, scholar team. That is it for approval. Others want wins. That defines a coaches success. I suppose it is fair too. A lot of gray areas when it comes to these things without any dialogue.

I hope your hairy boys don't get chaffed from strattling that fence. Ouch!:-\

1 hour ago, ArgoEagle said:

I hope your hairy boys don't get chaffed from strattling that fence. Ouch!:-\

How am I strattling the fence because I want to see how he does NOW that he has made some necessary changes?

Some of you guys sometimes I swear

Am I happy with the how the football team has performed the last couple of seasons ? No

Have I completely written him off as a HC? No now that he has humbled himself to make personal changes .

Is he in the clear ? Heck no .

IMO, Gus has done a very poor job the last two seasons, not only in game preparation and play calling, but roster management/talent recognition and acquisition.  

He realized he had no other choice but to make the necessary changes.  I am hopeful the arrival of Lindsey and Stidham, along with the emergence of some new, (or perhaps older/healthier players) will bring a pulse to this otherwise stagnant, predictable, vanilla offense we've seen take the field since the end of 2014.  

In other words,  let's revisit this issue during the actual season.  He won't last with another year like the last two, but he could be poised for a decent run if he can let go and let Chip and Al take the helm.  We'll see. 

And while we wait and watch the 2017 season play out, we go 8-5 again. Some of you will say something like this. "this was the first year with a new OC, so lets give Gus and Chip another year of working together. 2018 will be our year!"

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

And while we wait and watch the 2017 season play out, we go 8-5 again. Some of you will say something like this. "this was the first year with a new OC, so lets give Gus and Chip another year of working together. 2018 will be our year!"

If we go 8-5 again this season, I will not be saying that. And I was not saying that after 2016. But big, meaningful changes have been made. There is no point in whining about past failures right now. If the moves that were made don't fix it, then I will be standing right next to you on the firing line and I think most others will be, too. Don't worry. You'll either have a winning team or you'll get the pound of flesh you so badly want. 

On 5/22/2017 at 11:51 AM, lionheartkc said:

I mostly agree with you, but I will add that I think those with power over his job will not be satisfied with anything other than a much improved product on the field.  That said, all indications are that they will likely end up satisfied, which is a good thing.

As for the rest, I think it is a combination of the Saban Effect, having tasted the nectar of the promised land, being spoiled by technology, and the perception of football at this level today.  When the football program basically operates with a budget of unlimited, anything less than title contention is indeed a failure in the minds of many.  At the time that Georgia hired Mark Richt, they would have never even considered firing a coach with the record he ended up having.  I do not necessarily agree with that mentality, but it certainly exists, and I would even call it prevalent.  Additionally, people are more apt to grumble when they can do it from the convenience of a cell phone.

The reasonable people are back in "wait and see" mode with regard to Gus, as his offseason moves appear to have been positives.  That is where I am, at least, and would say that I currently approve of the direction Gus is taking the program.  I am even optimistic that Stidham and fresh blood in the OC are just what was needed.  No one should be singing Gus' praises just yet, but the torches should be extinguished for now.

This will be CGM's 5th year and the program has solely his fingerprints on it now. New OC or not its make or break time FOR REAL. 5 years is enough to judge based on whether he should keep his job or not.

What if we go 8-5 but beat UGA and Bama in the process? Does he save his job? 

8 minutes ago, Tiger said:

This will be CGM's 5th year and the program has solely his fingerprints on it now. New OC or not its make or break time FOR REAL. 5 years is enough to judge based on whether he should keep his job or not.

What if we go 8-5 but beat UGA and Bama in the process? Does he save his job? 

I do not think it is, or should be, that simple.  Who were the losses to, and what were the circumstances?  Were significant injuries a factor?  Was the idiotic 3 QB hydra gameplan employed again?  With a few different bounces of the ball and/or luck, even the 2010 team could have been 8-5.  That said, I do think there will be, at a minimum, tremendous pressure if he manages to lose to UGA and Bama again.  The portion of the fanbase (and likely boosters) for whom that is simply unacceptable is too large.

Archived