Softball vs. Cal - Game thread

Just now, wildling said:

Ball was to her right, the general rule is to your right don't go. You're ok with giving up an out and a runner in scoring position for no reason?

Based on where the SS got it, it was right at Fagan. Her momentum was taking her away from third so it would have been a tough throw to make. I'm ok with being aggressive when AU is struggling to get runs. 

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, wildling said:

Ball was to her right, the general rule is to your right don't go. You're ok with giving up an out and a runner in scoring position for no reason?

There were 2 outs.  She should have been running on contact.  If she did, she would have scored on the error. 

Draper gets the bunt down and it stays fair, catcher again couldn't find it and there's no play.  Runners on 1st and 2nd with 2 outs for Kasey Cooper   Cooper singles to left, throw comes home, umpire says she juggled the ball and a run scores.     Game is TIED 3-3

1 minute ago, WarTiger said:

There were 2 outs.  She should have been running on contact.  If she did, she would have scored on the error. 

You're being results oriented. She has to dodge the ball and the fielder, so she had to hold up a bit and then decided to play it safe and go back to 2nd. She very easily could have been gunned at 3rd, and making the 3rd out at 3rd is awful.

Wow. If the ball is out of the glove, she has to touch her with the ball. Can't tell if she did or not. 

Well....that play at the plate will be talked about a while....especially by Cal if they lose the game....hard to tell whether she touched the base  runner with the ball...???

How many calls have gone against Auburn this year?  It is what is...I'm more concerned about Auburn making it to the super regional

4 minutes ago, wildling said:

You're being results oriented. She has to dodge the ball and the fielder, so she had to hold up a bit and then decided to play it safe and go back to 2nd. She very easily could have been gunned at 3rd, and making the 3rd out at 3rd is awful.

I completely disagree.  There isn't a player at any level that is going to make that throw to 3rd in that situation and make it an accurate throw.  With 2 outs you run on contact, period.  You have your opinion, I have mine. 

We've been hosed this year by calls at the plate.  I'll take this one.

also ... when the play was live ... our camera view from behind the plate it appeared she bobbled the ball during the "tag".  She didn't bobble but the ump had a similar view as we did live.

good point about tagging with ball although that wasn't what he called

2 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

These announcers just love Cal. 

These announcers have just been plain awful.   I wish I had an option of muting the announcers and just hearing the sounds of the game 

Natural to pull for the underdog.  It looked to me like the catcher never touched Podany with the ball.  we've doubled Cal in hits, but theirs have been very timely.

2 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

I completely disagree.  There isn't a player at any level that is going to make that throw to 3rd in that situation and make it an accurate throw.  With 2 outs you run on contact, period.  You have your opinion, I have mine. 

If the ball were to the third base man, you wouldn't run there. But anything at you or to the SS, you run. 

Can someone mute the woman announcer's mike, she is getting beyond annoying

Saw another replay and still don't think she tagged the runner with the ball...used her glove but the ball was not in it....but whatever....it's a tie game and we need to get a run in and take the win...

Martin sets them down in order.  Let's win this thing right here.   Fagan, Rivera and Veach coming up.

1 minute ago, Jgarrett7 said:

The lady announcer is clueless that she has to tag with the ball. Can't use glove if ball isn't in it. 

I've always thought you had to tag with the ball in a situation like that.  I don't think the rules have changed

Just now, WarTiger said:

Martin sets them down in order.  Let's win this thing right here.   Fagan, Rivera and Veach coming up.

Well.....this is who we would like to see.....

4 minutes ago, jared52 said:

If the ball were to the third base man, you wouldn't run there. But anything at you or to the SS, you run. 

That's a fair point, but even in that situation, you should be close to half way to 3rd, take the base on the throw and score on the error.  :big:

Archived