Softball vs. Cal - Game thread

WDE ladies, great come from behind win.  Let it rain, let it rain, let it rain.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, SumterAubie said:

<wishes the baseball scores would not be posted here as I will follow the baseball game via the baseball thread. And would rather not know the score before I go there>

Well you are free to leave this thread now! :cheer:

10 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

<wishes the baseball scores would not be posted here as I will follow the baseball game via the baseball thread. And would rather not know the score before I go there>

I hope you plan on starting one then, because right now there is none.

3 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

Rivera lines one to 3rd and it drops fair and Maresette comes around 3rd and scores the winning run. AUBURN WINS 4-3 in 9

Thank you for play by play. 

Now that Auburn won.....I can say that as much as I dislike anything having to do with California sports teams....I do admire that gritty little Cal pitcher. 

Congrats Ladies and War Eagle!!!!

meanwhile gophers let a chance go to waste and left bases loaded in a 0-0 tie....at UAT.

Surprised we had so much trouble with Cal.  In looking at records prior, I actually though Notre Dame was the bigger threat.  But to give Cal credit, they made some great plays, including the pickoff of Fornis.  Looked like a pretty solid team.  We got 15 hits off their pitcher, but it seemed they never added up to anything.  Glad to escape that one.  If rain blots out play tomorrow, we move on, as Cal would have had they won.  

7 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Surprised we had so much trouble with Cal.  In looking at records prior, I actually though Notre Dame was the bigger threat.  But to give Cal credit, they made some great plays, including the pickoff of Fornis.  Looked like a pretty solid team.  We got 15 hits off their pitcher, but it seemed they never added up to anything.  Glad to escape that one.  If rain blots out play tomorrow, we move on, as Cal would have had they won.  

Wow. I wasn't aware of that. What a terrible rule. Why not play Monday?

5 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Wow. I wasn't aware of that. What a terrible rule. Why not play Monday?

It's my understanding it's setup by the NCAA.  They have a whole set of rules for what happens, who advances if the regional is rained out.  In our situation, it's the undefeated team that moves on.  

On the subject of the collision at home involving Wallace,  here's the NCAA rule concerning collisions:

12.13.2 In order to prevent injury and protect the defensive player attempting to make a play on a runner, the runner must be called out if she remains on her feet and deliberately, with great force, crashes into a defensive player holding the ball and waiting to apply a tag. In order to prevent a deliberate crash ruling, the runner can slide, jump over the top of the defender holding the ball, go around the defender or return to the previous base touched.

EFFECT—The ball is dead. The runner is called out for deliberately crashing into a fielder, even if the ball is dislodged. If the runner deliberately crashed into a fielder holding the ball before she was put out and, in the umpire’s judgment, it was an attempt to break up an obvious double play, the offender and player being played on shall both be declared out. If the deliberate crash occurs after the runner was called out, the runner closest to home plate will also be declared out. If an obstructed runner deliberately crashes into a fielder holding the ball, the obstruction call will be ignored, and the runner will be called out.

Archived