Other than Bo Jackson, who is AU's No. 1 RB?

StatTiger

Bo Jackson is no doubt the greatest Auburn running back of all time. It opens the debate for the top-5 Auburn running backs not named Bo Jackson. Here are some numbers to consider. Each category is rated based on yards per game, yards per attempt and TD ratio.

Top-4 Games during Career:

This category focuses on the "career" making games of each back. Bo Jackson is in the list, making it the Top-10 at Auburn.

wFU2EF7nivFQwAAAABJRU5ErkJgggA=

Top-11 Games during Career:

Once again the data is sorted by a rating based on yards per game, yards per attempt and TD ratio. The reason for 11 games is because that was once the number of regular season games during the course of a season.

MIUEiAlEuQR17EbucDgcDofDKP4DWTuuof7P8BkA

Career games of 20-carries or more:

This is the combined games of at least 20 rush attempts and sorted by the same rating formula.

rM2IcF5ITuyKSmaUQDWvupPMV6S+yDRKCTxEYDOH

Kamryn Pettway has booked only 9 career games, so he only appears in two of the three categories. After the 2017 season, it will be interesting to see how high he climbs on all three lists. Based on the current rankings, Brent Fullwood is the No. 1 RB at Auburn outside of Bo Jackson and James Brooks is close behind him.

Personally, I would not hesitate to name Brent Fullwood as the best Auburn RB other than Bo Jackson. He combined power and speed with a relentless effort to gain yardage after contact. Though he failed to make the three lists, Kenny Irons had the same kind of drive as Fullwood but did not have the same level of speed.

Who is your favorite and why?

• Like 2

I wouldn't argue with that.  Brent Fullwood in my mind was the one RB that every time he touched it, as much or more than Bo, you thought there was a good chance he'd break it completely open.  Interesting though looking at the stats, his carries per TD is one of the highest.  I don't think he was used as much in the short yardage / goal line situations.

Not looking at stats, Brent Fullwood and then Ronnie Brown for me.

wde

• Like 2

For me, its Kenny. He ran with such ferocity and I loved how quickly he got north and south and attacked the hole. He generated such force when he ran he was seldom taken down by single tackles.

That said, Brent is the 2nd best behind Bo, IMO. He just is not my favorite.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Should've been Dyer. He would've been a senior in 2013.

Personally, I was never a fan of his running style.

• Like 4

I always felt like Fullwood would have had the same (or better) numbers as Bo.....if not for Bo.  Bo was a true freak of nature in everything he did/does, but Fullwood produced ARGUABLY even better.  Plus he did a lot of what he did hurting (dare I say, injured).  The ONE knock on Bo was obviously his durability.

My 2 tarnished pennies, Brent Fullwood is 1a.

• Like 4

Just now, bigbird said:

Really? I'll defer to you on any technical scores and he was no Gayle Sayers in the running looks department, but I loved his low center of gravity and leg drive. Not a home run guy but could regularly turn 2 into 10. (Just like Golf's PBRs.)

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Really? I'll defer to you on any technical scores and he was no Gayle Sayers in the running looks department, but I loved his low center of gravity and leg drive. Not a home run guy but could regularly turn 2 into 10. (Just like Golf's PBRs.)

I was surprised to not see Dyer on any of those lists even though he only had two seasons, unless I missed him on there. 

I was always a big fan of Dyer until all the off the field issues started surfacing. 

• Like 1

Hard to say. A level below Bo for me would be Brooks, Cribbs, and Fullwood but wouldn't put one ahead or below the other. Little Train isnt on this list, but he was as versatile as they come and productive too. His NFL career proved that.

Edited by boisnumber1
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I always felt like Fullwood would have had the same (or better) numbers as Bo.....if not for Bo.  Bo was a true freak of nature in everything he did/does, but Fullwood produced ARGUABLY even better.  Plus he did a lot of what he did hurting (dare I say, injured).  The ONE knock on Bo was obviously his durability.

I think he did put up his best numbers after Bo left and Dye eventually went to the I formation.  But, when someone said something about Fullwood's average per carry being better than Bo's, Dye said something like, Bo would have averaged 15 yards a carry in this offense.  Bo, Herschel and Dupree were just genetic freaks of nature as far as size, speed, and strength.  Haven't seen anything close to them since.

After saying that, I really liked the combo of James Joseph and Stacey Danley.  Nothing fancy, just two big physical backs that wore defenses out.  But yeah, Fullwood #2.

I believe it was Coach Dye that said Bo was the Only RB that could keep Fullwood on the bench. I agree

• Like 1

I loved Rudi because of not only what he did, but also for the timing. If I remember, he came to us after a bit of a RB drought(if that's not the case...don't ruin it for me..)

I remember sitting in my apartment eating a Wendy's hamburger and spilling fries everywhere when he broke that long run+1831 tackles against Wyoming. 

I also love me some Ronnie and Carnell. Absolute beasts, both of'em.

Do I have to pick only one?

• Like 2

Cadillac is my easy answer. it's purely personal and subjective. I was in school when he was going crazy. Therefore, he's my guy.

But honestly, it would be Fullwood and Cadillac at 2/3 in my view. Fullwood was a beast. No denying that and the numbers reflect the memories of his play. Cadillac had something that very few have. He was a true workhorse but maintained his ability to hit a home run. He pieced together some of the best games I've ever watched. 2001 UGA was a tour de force. 2004 Ole Miss is little remembered (because they weren't very good), but Cadillac was everything, had something like 250 all purpose yards. Jason was bad that night, and the offense was stuck in the mud. He pulled us out. Love that guy.

• Like 2

I'd say Cadillac. He ran with such effort on every run. I also liked watching Irons. With so many great ones, it's hard to choose just 1. 

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

On the other hand, to my (even more then than now) unpracticed eye, Mr. Fullwood gained some from Mr. Jackson's presence, as well. From our end-zone seats, every time the latter came out for a breather, you could see defenses deflate and take a breath as well. They sometimes barely had time to exhale before Mr. Fullwood was, like, behind them.

Fullwood, Cadillac, Tre and then Davis. Just my own subjective list. Mason was unstoppable once the oline solidified. Davis was an 80's style running back when he played ( if that makes sense )and often gets overlooked. And to answer an earlier question: yes we are witnessing greatness with Bubba IF he is able to play every game this year.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

He was lucky to play when he did. I was lynched here (or AE) for declaring Lattimore was better back then. He never panned out at Louisville and barely got a sniff from the league. 

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

For me, its Kenny. He ran with such ferocity and I loved how quickly he got north and south and attacked the hole. He generated such force when he ran he was seldom taken down by single tackles.

That said, Brent is the 2nd best behind Bo, IMO. He just is not my favorite.

When I was a tutor for the football program during that time, Brent was not my favorite either.  He was a hellauva running back though.

wde

• Like 1

Brooks or Cribbs. Then Fullwood. Then a bunch of other great rbs. 

I think Tre Mason might go down as the most underrated. He was not as talented but he always found a way to get the yards when needed.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, api1957 said:

Fullwood, Cadillac, Tre and then Davis. Just my own subjective list. Mason was unstoppable once the oline solidified. Davis was an 80's style running back when he played ( if that makes sense )and often gets overlooked. And to answer an earlier question: yes we are witnessing greatness with Bubba IF he is able to play every game this year.

I wasn't a fan of Davis or Tate. Both were effective and productive at Auburn and NFL. 

Tucker Frederickson, Auburn's FIRST #1 NFL draft pick.

• Like 5

A name not mentioned but a RB who got more than his share of tough and I mean tough yards was Terry Henley. When it was third and short, everybody and I mean everybody knew who was going to get it but rarely did he dissappoint. I know he didn't have the numbers of the others mentioned but he was a key player for the 72 Amazins.

• Like 2