Other than Bo Jackson, who is AU's No. 1 RB?

StatTiger

When Tre Mason was a clicking, he was sure fun to watch ... that SEC Championship game brings back some good recent memories.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

When Tre Mason was a clicking, he was sure fun to watch ... that SEC Championship game brings back some good recent memories.

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Wallace Clark

No Golf, Al Giffin. Buddy of mine got Al's chinstrap after a game when they let the kids line up in the end zone and run out there after the game.

Edited by SaltyTiger
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Wallace Clark

Zofko was better. Not by much, but some better. Harry Unger has to fit in here somewhere. Him scoring late to beat Tennessee is one of my all-time favorite plays. Right in there with Clark's late TD against bammer in '70.

• Like 2

Ya'll give Demontray a lot of crap, but the guy could run when he wanted to...wouldn't have beat Georgia without him.

Edited by AUDevil

On May 20, 2017 at 10:00 PM, Mikey said:

Your memory and mine differ. Davis was running all over Penn State, apparently headed for a 250 yard outing. Then Davis got a concussion and had to come out for the rest of the game. Unless you think Bowden hit him with a hammer after he got hit on the field, it's pretty hard to blame the coach for that one.

Thought Davis got hurt in 3rd quarter but he got hurt in first. My bad. But I blame the Bowden for abandoning the running game unless you were calling the plays for him. Morrow and Beasley were filling in nicely when they got the ball but seldom because we had to pass and didn't complete many.

Best and favorite are two entirely different things.

As far as best, I'd say Fullwood, Cribbs, Brooks, Rudi, and Bostic

Favorites I'd say Cadillac, Stephen Davis, Ben Tate,  Rudi, and Lectron Williams (simply because of his name.) 

Or if you don't count Lectron because I really only liked his name, #5 for me would be a tie between Bostic, Ronnie Brown, Mario Fannin, or Irons

Edited by Auburn2Eugene
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Tigger1985 said:

Thought Davis got hurt in 3rd quarter but he got hurt in first. My bad. But I blame the Bowden for abandoning the running game unless you were calling the plays for him. Morrow and Beasley were filling in nicely when they got the ball but seldom because we had to pass and didn't complete many.

Reporters and other pundits were saying that the field got so sloppy that running the ball was next to impossible. Next was the statement that the Penn State QB's hands were much bigger than Nix's hands so he cold throw a wet ball more accurately than Nix. Whether that's true or not I cannot say. I do know both teams resorted to a lot more passing than was normal for them.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Reporters and other pundits were saying that the field got so sloppy that running the ball was next to impossible. Next was the statement that the Penn State QB's hands were much bigger than Nix's hands so he cold throw a wet ball more accurately than Nix. Whether that's true or not I cannot say. I do know both teams resorted to a lot more passing than was normal for them.

Was at the game and like to have froze my ass off......have never been so wet in my life

10 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Ya'll give Demontray a lot of crap, but the guy could run when he wanted to...wouldn't have beat Georgia without him.

Just jokes, man. Although I'll admit not a very good one. Would've been interesting to see some of those backs play for a coach who wasn't allergic to running backs

20 hours ago, WarTim said:

I do not think Brooks or Cribbs every operated out of the wishbone. Dye brought it in. 

Correct. Barfield was brought to AU as OC under Shug to install the veer. AU ran mostly veer in those days.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, creed said:

To me Fullwood had the best plant, cut and get up field ability of any back I have personally seen play at AU. Plus at @ 5'10" and 230 lbs he was hard to tackle. His only limitation was his top end speed.

Fullwood was no where near 230 lbs. Closer to 205 to 210

• Like 1

For those of you not ranking any of Tre/Rudi/Ronni/Cadillac/etc, is there any way Pettway can move up into that #2 spot if he has a good, healthy season?

even with only a partial year under his belt he had some monumental moments. First back since Bo to put together four-straight games of 150-plus yards.

i want to say there were a couple of other leader boards he climbed to the top of too but am too lazy to put the work into it. Carries in a single game? Top 5 fastest to reach 800 yards?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Charhair said:

..., is there any way Pettway can move up into that #2 spot if he has a good, healthy season?...

Lookin' forward to it, if we don't run him into the ground (a repeated reference to Bite the Bullet).

17 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

How exactly is it that someone could create a highlight reel of a game where a running back racked up 304 yards and only show him running two plays in the red zone?  By that footage, minus the scoreboard, you'd think that Missouri won and Nick Marshall had our best performance.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Lookin' forward to it, if we don't run him into the ground (a repeated reference to Bite the Bullet).

I think he'll have to stay his sr year to do it. If kj or another back is effective at all I don't see us running him in the ground. I hope not.   

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, alexava said:

I think he'll have to stay his sr year to do it. If kj or another back is effective at all I don't see us running him in the ground. I hope not.   

Agree. If Miller stays healthy and we can get some production out of Barrett and/or Williams, then there will be no excuse to overburden Pettway. 

I'm curious what would happen, though, if Cox were to go down. 

37 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'd love to see some 1-back sets.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Agree. If Miller stays healthy and we can get some production out of Barrett and/or Williams, then there will be no excuse to overburden Pettway. 

If Williams makes it here :popcorn:

• Like 2

What I love about this conversation is that there are so many great Auburn men to have played the RB position!  I love the personal stories, the reasons each fan prefers a different RB.  There will only ever be one Bo Jackson, but we have several good contenders for #2.  

• Like 3

On 5/20/2017 at 3:10 PM, bigbird said:

For me, its Kenny. He ran with such ferocity and I loved how quickly he got north and south and attacked the hole. He generated such force when he ran he was seldom taken down by single tackles.

That said, Brent is the 2nd best behind Bo, IMO. He just is not my favorite.

I agree with Bird, I like Kenny Irons.

Since I can really only comment on the post-Stephen Davis era I think I'd have to say Cadillac might have a slight edge on everyone else. I don't think I have ever seen somebody with that type of balance. He always bounced off of defenders and seemed impossible to take down and was always falling forward. He was a special talent IMO

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

Since I can really only comment on the post-Stephen Davis era I think I'd have to say Cadillac might have a slight edge on everyone else. I don't think I have ever seen somebody with that type of balance. He always bounced off of defenders and seemed impossible to take down and was always falling forward. He was a special talent IMO

Balance is what made Tre Smith capable of doing what he did to bama.  The kid wasn't fast or strong, but years of snowboarding made it hard to knock him down.