Other than Bo Jackson, who is AU's No. 1 RB?

StatTiger

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Balance is what made Tre Smith capable of doing what he did to bama.  The kid wasn't fast or strong, but years of snowboarding made it hard to knock him down.

He was a slippery RB that's for sure. He just escaped his way out of tackles it was fun to watch. I forgot he was a snowboarder I remember commentators would bring this up during the broadcasts.

I'm stickin' with Tucker Fredrickson for #2 behind Bo. Tucker was the Heisman runnerup, #1 overall pick in the NFL draft and had at least one year of leading the NFL in all purpose yards before a knee injury forced him out. He was also the All-SEC safety, in a time when players went both ways and he led the league in interceptions. His stats as a RB at Auburn don't look all that great, but his main job was pulling out ahead of running QB Jimmy Sidle and clearing the way for the first QB to ever gain 1,000 rushing yards. He won the Jacobs blocking award for this, twice I believe. Here's a nice little story about Tucker. http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/PMARSHONAU-Tucker-Frederickson-a-man-before-his-time-at-Auburn-31713392

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 7

9 hours ago, Tiger said:

Since I can really only comment on the post-Stephen Davis era I think I'd have to say Cadillac might have a slight edge on everyone else. I don't think I have ever seen somebody with that type of balance. He always bounced off of defenders and seemed impossible to take down and was always falling forward. He was a special talent IMO

Some of his best runs never will be mentioned or seen again. Because they went for one or two yards to move the chains after he was hit in the backfield. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, alexava said:

Some of his best runs never will be mentioned or seen again. Because they went for one or two yards to move the chains after he was hit in the backfield. 

YES. As great as our run game was there were a few years there where it seemed like our RBs had to get themselves out of trouble as soon as they were handed the ball.

33 minutes ago, Tiger said:

YES. As great as our run game was there were a few years there where it seemed like our RBs had to get themselves out of trouble as soon as they were handed the ball.

I think UGA's RBs have been dealing with similarly skewed talent-to-production ratios the last couple years. Imagine what Chubb could be doing at bama or even Auburn. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I think UGA's RBs have been dealing with similarly skewed talent-to-production ratios the last couple years. Imagine what Chubb could be doing at bama or even Auburn. 

Chubb would kill in our offense!

• Like 2

On 5/23/2017 at 6:44 PM, ClaytonAU said:

If Williams makes it here :popcorn:

Guess I jinxed it, sorry boys! 

On 5/22/2017 at 10:31 PM, Mikey said:

Zofko was better. Not by much, but some better. Harry Unger has to fit in here somewhere. Him scoring late to beat Tennessee is one of my all-time favorite plays. Right in there with Clark's late TD against bammer in '70.

Wow, glad to see some remember Wallace Clark and Mickey Zofko...they were tough ball players...and Unger and Al Giffin (I have a signed picture of him from my youth; a fraternity brother (from my oldest brothers time) .... I guess if we do a compare of best QB's after Sully and Cam, you guys are going to say Loran Carter and Wade Watley :-)

3 hours ago, japantiger said:

Wow, glad to see some remember Wallace Clark and Mickey Zofko...they were tough ball players...and Unger and Al Giffin (I have a signed picture of him from my youth; a fraternity brother (from my oldest brothers time) .... I guess if we do a compare of best QB's after Sully and Cam, you guys are going to say Loran Carter and Wade Watley :-)

Randy Walls dummy.............

• Like 2

Other than Bo, it was definitely Brent Fullwood. However, I really enjoyed the play of Stephen Davis, Rudy Johnson, and Carnell Williams.

Edited by AuburnKev

• 2 weeks later...

If Dyer had had his head on straight and played his 4 years at Auburn, he would have been Auburn's 4th Heisman winner. Nobody could bring him down.

Edited by auburn4ever

On 5/24/2017 at 0:43 PM, Mikey said:

I'm stickin' with Tucker Fredrickson for #2 behind Bo. Tucker was the Heisman runnerup, #1 overall pick in the NFL draft and had at least one year of leading the NFL in all purpose yards before a knee injury forced him out. He was also the All-SEC safety, in a time when players went both ways and he led the league in interceptions. His stats as a RB at Auburn don't look all that great, but his main job was pulling out ahead of running QB Jimmy Sidle and clearing the way for the first QB to ever gain 1,000 rushing yards. He won the Jacobs blocking award for this, twice I believe. Here's a nice little story about Tucker. http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/PMARSHONAU-Tucker-Frederickson-a-man-before-his-time-at-Auburn-31713392

Good stuff Mikey. Thanks for posting. My first childhood football hero.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2017 at 3:10 PM, bigbird said:

For me, its Kenny. He ran with such ferocity and I loved how quickly he got north and south and attacked the hole. He generated such force when he ran he was seldom taken down by single tackles.

That said, Brent is the 2nd best behind Bo, IMO. He just is not my favorite.

Kenny is one of my personal favorites also. I am too young to have seen Fullwood. If I had to say in my life time it goes by rank Caddy Kenny Tre

• Like 1

It's Cadillac for me. If he had stayed healthy his first two seasons, he probably is our all-time leading rusher or very close to it. Plus he was a very good punt returner.

Edited by TigerFreak

2 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

Kenny is one of my personal favorites also. I am too young to have seen Fullwood. If I had to say in my life time it goes by rank Caddy Kenny Tre

Talk about stick foot and go...He would've won the heisman in this O. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Talk about stick foot and go...He would've won the heisman in this O. 

ALso was as tough as they come.  Would always deliver the blow.  It actually cost him due to his size on many occasions.  Just from the standpoint of my favorite rbs Kenny would be at top.  He could showboat some but I loved the way he got under opponents skin and was a big time competitor.  I remember the Washington State game in 2006 I believe after we had a ton of pre season hype when Kenny caught that pass for a td and did the little dance towards the end zone.  TT was not happy but that was Kenny being Kenny.  I think Caddy had more overall talent but If I had to take a rb in the last 25 years Kenny would probably ne my top pick.  Then the promise at LSU of 200 which I don't like mentioning because we lost because of a field goal kicker.

Edited by austudnt23
  • Like 3

Had Pettway been healthy for us all season, he would be #2 on that list. 

Edited by logan adams

For whatever an outside perspective might provide, a recently completed poll at another site found:

“Running Backs: Bo Jackson (100 percent) and Carnell Williams (44 percent)… Second Team: Tucker Frederickson (11 percent) and Tre Mason (11 percent)”

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-football-all-time-team-vote-results

• Like 1