Pitching rotation for SEC Tournament

Has anyone heard announcement of starting pitcher for Tuesday against Ol Miss? Keegan or Daniel?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

I would bet all my money its Keegan

Would figure so but with Mize not pitching this weekend and if he is ready not sure which way Coach will go. We live in Cullman, Keegan's hometown, so really want to go if he starts.

On 5/20/2017 at 8:23 PM, oldman said:

Has anyone heard announcement of starting pitcher for Tuesday against Ol Miss? Keegan or Daniel?

It won't be Daniel. He last started on Friday. There is no way Butch starts him on 3 days rest. Heck, Butch doesn't like starting his pitchers on 4 days rest which would be Keegan's deal. Casey is a real possibility if his tightness has improved. If I were your family I would wait to see if AU wins Tuesday. If they do Keegan will likely start Wednesday versus Florida.

Mize start a possibility for SEC Tournament opener

No. 8 seed Auburn plays No. 9 seed Ole Miss in the SEC Tournament on Tuesday.

Phillip Marshall

5303214.jpg
Will Casey Mize get the ball in Hoover on Tuesday? (Photo: Auburn University)

Auburn’s baseball team is back in the Southeastern Conference Tournament after missing out last season, and second-year coach Butch Thompson says that’s a big deal.

Coming off a series win over Ole Miss, the Tigers (34-22, 16-14), seeded No. 8, play the Rebels (36-20, 14-16), seeded No. 9, again Tuesday at 4:30 p.m. at Hoover Metropolitan Stadium.

The first round is single elimination. With a win, Auburn would play No. 1 seed Florida in the double-elimination portion of the tournament on Wednesday.

“We just want to try to play our best baseball every day,” Thompson said. “I think Tuesday is huge. I think it’s great for Auburn folks to be in Birmingham and for Auburn to be in that tournament. We’re supposed to be up there.”

Auburn could have ace right-hander Casey Mize (6-2, 1.97 ERA) rested and ready for the Rebels. Mize did not pitch against Ole Miss over the weekend because of a forearm issue. He has missed three of the past four weekends.

Keegan Thompson (6-4, 2.30), who had a no-hitter through six innings in Auburn’s 4-1 victory over the Rebels on Friday, has vowed to do all he can to be ready to go Tuesday.

“Keegan wants the ball but we’ll have to continue to see,” Butch Thompson said. “I’m not as hopeful for that as maybe he is, but I like a player to want that. Casey is more probable and possible.”

Butch Thompson said Mize threw on Sunday.

“We did some flat-ground work today and it went well,” Butch Thompson said. “I think he’s kind of day-to-day. I don’t want to give a report and that change again, because there has been enough back-and-forth there the last few weeks.”

Here is the schedule for the first-round of the tournament:

9:30 a.m.: No. 6 seed Vanderbilt vs. No. 11 South Carolina

1 p.m.: No. 7 Texas A&M vs. No. 10 Missouri

4:30 p.m.: No. 8 Auburn vs. No. 9 Ole Miss

8 p.m.: No. 5 Mississippi State vs. No. 12 Georgia

Did see that article today. I guess old age is my problem because I thought Keegan started the first game on Thursday not the Friday game.

8 hours ago, oldman said:

Did see that article today. I guess old age is my problem because I thought Keegan started the first game on Thursday not the Friday game.

It was Thursday, P.Marsh incorrectly has it as Friday in the article.

9 hours ago, oldman said:

He did as I explained right before  PM's article. That would give Keegan 4 days rest if he were to start Tuesday. Butch is on record saying earlier this season he wants a minimum of 5 days rest for his starters if he can get it. If Casey feels good today he will likely start tomorrow.

1 hour ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

Casey's last start since Tennessee was against LSU right? 

I didn't watch the game, how was good outing?

Probably his worst start of the season. Wasn't very sharp at all. He's either not throwing his split as much right now for fear of further arm problems or he isn't locating it well. Either way, he wasn't nearly as effective against LSU, and while he was sharp against Bama, his few mistakes got punished pretty hard. I don't hold the Bama game against him too much. Two earned runs in 6 IP is a quality start. The LSU start was rough!

39 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Probably his worst start of the season. Wasn't very sharp at all. He's either not throwing his split as much right now for fear of further arm problems or he isn't locating it well. Either way, he wasn't nearly as effective against LSU, and while he was sharp against Bama, his few mistakes got punished pretty hard. I don't hold the Bama game against him too much. Two runs in 6 IP is a quality start. The LSU start was rough!

Oh, I didn't even realize he pitched against Bama too.

1 hour ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

Oh, I didn't even realize he pitched against Bama too.

Yeah, he only threw 75 pitches. He gave up four hits ( 2 singles and 2 doubles), and Bama scored three runs, 2 earned. He was effective, but Bama just had that run where they drove everything in that got to second base. 

Heard on the telecast (ESPN3) during Game 2 of the Ole Miss series, that Auburn would start someone like Camacho, on Tuesday. Was explained to serve 2 purposes; save your aces for the later rounds AND if get bounced in first game, you haven't given any one ace extra work in preparation of Regionals.

Understand, it's an ESPN announcer, so I take that with a grain of salt, but the more I think about that philosophy, the more it makes sense to me. However, I'm not an avid baseball scholar, just a fan.

Any thoughts on this?

2 minutes ago, Planner4Hire said:

Any thoughts on this?

Butch has said Casey is the most likely option right now and with us still technically on the bubble we need to pitch him if his arm is ready to go.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Butch has said Casey is the most likely option right now and with us still technically on the bubble we need to pitch him if his arm is ready to go.

This, plus I'd rather him work off some rust now instead of in a regional. A regional would still be at least a week out from Tuesday so I don't see any reason not to pitch Mize unless he's still not feeling well.

6 minutes ago, boomstick said:

According to Auburn's Twitter account, Keegan will start Tuesday. 

Casey must not be ready.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Casey must not be ready.

Well, that's good for Golf. He would have lost all his money...

1 hour ago, Planner4Hire said:

Heard on the telecast (ESPN3) during Game 2 of the Ole Miss series, that Auburn would start someone like Camacho, on Tuesday. Was explained to serve 2 purposes; save your aces for the later rounds AND if get bounced in first game, you haven't given any one ace extra work in preparation of Regionals.

Understand, it's an ESPN announcer, so I take that with a grain of salt, but the more I think about that philosophy, the more it makes sense to me. However, I'm not an avid baseball scholar, just a fan.

Any thoughts on this?

I always laugh when you see analyst with these scenarios. When you are in a one and done type tournament, or trying to stay out of a losers bracket, you play your best pitchers in the first game as long as they are rested. Always get the first win and worry about the other games later. "Saving" a pitcher for a later game usually bites you in the rear.

38 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Casey must not be ready.

Makes me think we're going to throw both of them tomorrow like was hinted at in some interviews. With Keegan having such a good outing against them last time out, I don't mind him starting. He's probably going to get 40-50 pitches and Mize the same. 

So if we lose tomorrow do you guys think we'll be in still? I think so but I'm always a little worried lol

5 minutes ago, au302 said:

So if we lose tomorrow do you guys think we'll be in still? I think so but I'm always a little worried lol

Yes but we will still be on the bubble til we are called.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yes but we will still be on the bubble til we are called.

Yeah, it will be a LONG 5 day wait for the guys for sure.

12 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Yeah, it will be a LONG 5 day wait for the guys for sure.

Though it's kind of hard to ignore a team that is ranked #24.....JMO but what's really at stake is the seeding.....where in the national standing..and where we end up playing.   Would prefer not to get in a situation where they send us out to Utah or somewhere to balance up a regional.

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

Makes me think we're going to throw both of them tomorrow like was hinted at in some interviews. With Keegan having such a good outing against them last time out, I don't mind him starting. He's probably going to get 40-50 pitches and Mize the same. 

I don't agree with this way of doing it, unless the starter is ineffective and gets knocked out of the game. If you've got a pitcher that's shutting them down and your lead is less than 10 runs, you'd better ride that hoss! :)

13 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I don't agree with this way of doing it, unless the starter is ineffective and gets knocked out of the game. If you've got a pitcher that's shutting them down and your lead is less than 10 runs, you'd better ride that hoss! :)

If Butch does it this way, I'm guessing the thinking is they're going to throw on Tues-Wed anyway for their regular bullpen session. Might as well let them get their work in on the field in a competitive situation. Keegan could throw 6+ on short rest, and Casey might not throw at all this weekend. I'd be surprised if Keegan has an extended outing on short rest with regionals just around the corner given his arm fatigue issues earlier this year. And I'd be surprised if Casey didn't throw at some point tomorrow because it might be his last chance to work in a live game until a regional.

Archived