Pitching rotation for SEC Tournament

9 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I'm puzzled by this. What about the next day if we win tomorrow? With nearly a full week before regionals start there's no reason to hold back pitching unless they truly belong on the injury list.

Now I'm confused. Didn't you post earlier today that Butch needs to worry winning tomorrow then worry about Wednesday and beyond?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Now I'm confused. Didn't you post earlier today that Butch needs to worry winning tomorrow then worry about Wednesday and beyond?

Certainly. But how does planning to use both starters in one game improve chances of winning tomorrow? Win one game with one starter going 9 innings if he can make it. I wouldn't PLAN to use up both starters in one game. Only reason to use both is if whoever starts tomorrow can't get 'em out early.

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Certainly. But how does planning to use both starters in one game improve chances of winning tomorrow? Win one game with one starter going 9 innings if he can make it. I wouldn't PLAN to use up both starters in one game. Only reason to use both is if whoever starts tomorrow can't get 'em out early.

Or you throw both to make sure they get game action in case you don't get another game. In Casey's situation, I think it's important he throw some if he can because there's no guarantee of another game. And I don't think you start Casey because it's been a while since he threw in any game, and Keegan gives the best chance to have a solid start to the game. 

56 minutes ago, boomstick said:

IMO There are only 6 SEC teams that have a better combination of resume and RPI than us. aTm is pretty equal, and OM is below us in resume but ahead in RPI. And I don't think one game at the SECT is going to change that much, if at all. 

And that's your opinion which you have every right to but unfortunately you nor any of us are on the NCAA Selection committee. They may not share your opinion. They very well could look at all the good we did but then looking at Bama sweeping us at home as cancelling out all the good of our resume. I don't think they will to the point it leaves us out of the regionals but the fact remains it's a real possibility  They may do that. In light of that the best thing to do is try to lessen the doubt they may have in us by doing everything in the hear & now to take care of business now, especially since doing everything that needs to be done now really doesn't hurt the team 9 days from now. Another reason that everything that can be done now needs to be done now is for over 2 weeks we lost our mental edge, our eye of the tiger so to speak. The Ole Miss series was a step in the right direction but in itself was not coming all the way back. We need to do everything we can now to get our competitive edge & focus back now. That's done by playing & coaching for the now not the 9 days from now.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

And that's your opinion which you have every right to but unfortunately you nor any of us are on the NCAA Selection committee. They may not share your opinion. They very well could look at all the good we did but then looking at Bama sweeping us at home as cancelling out all the good of our resume. I don't think they will to the point it leaves us out of the regionals but the fact remains it's a real possibility  They may do that. In light of that the best thing to do is try to lessen the doubt they may have in us by doing everything in the hear & now to take care of business now, especially since doing everything that needs to be done now really doesn't hurt the team 9 days from now. Another reason that everything that can be done now needs to be done now is for over 2 weeks we lost our mental edge, our eye of the tiger so to speak. The Ole Miss series was a step in the right direction but in itself was not coming all the way back. We need to do everything we can now to get our competitive edge & focus back now. That's done by playing & coaching for the now not the 9 days from now.

It is my opinion, but I do think it's based upon some reasonable assumptions and facts, though I certainly don't think it's more right or better than anyone else's opinion. 

9 minutes ago, boomstick said:

It is my opinion, but I do think it's based upon some reasonable assumptions and facts, though I certainly don't think it's more right or better than anyone else's opinion. 

And I agree completely with your opinion. I'm just saying when it comes to the NCAA logic doesn't always dictate outcomes.

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

And I agree completely with your opinion. I'm just saying when it comes to the NCAA logic doesn't always dictate outcomes.

Various people have their own agendas I expect...regional or conference interests, etc.  Every year there are surprises...teams left out who looked pretty good.

Some fans may not like it but looks like Boom's theory for today may be right. There are other AU media who believe this will be treated like a bullpen day for both Keegan & Casey with them getting about 40-50 pitches each in the game & only further available if we get into the weekend of the SECT.

35 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Some fans may not like it but looks like Boom's theory for today may be right. There are other AU media who believe this will be treated like a bullpen day for both Keegan & Casey with them getting about 40-50 pitches each in the game & only further available if we get into the weekend of the SECT.

It may not work, but if you can get a complete game from Keegan and Casey, your best two pitchers, then you can piece together a game tomorrow with maybe Camacho and some ancillary bullpen guys. That at least gives you your #3 starter with 6 days rest to start an elimination game and has your aces ready should you get past that third game.

Really, this tournament is next to impossible to put a standard rotation together with the lack of depth we have at starting pitcher and the short turnaround. If we had a fourth quality starter, it'd be a no brainer that he'd be the guy, and that would get us back to a pretty normal rotation.

13 minutes ago, boomstick said:

t may not work, but if you can get a complete game from Keegan and Casey, your best two pitchers, then you can piece together a game tomorrow with maybe Camacho and some ancillary bullpen guys. That at least gives you your #3 starter with 6 days rest to start an elimination game and has your aces ready should you get past that third game.

DD would have 5 days rest were he to pitch an elimination game Thursday. That may be enough time for Butch to let him go though.

19 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Really, this tournament is next to impossible to put a standard rotation together with the lack of depth we have at starting pitcher and the short turnaround. If we had a fourth quality starter, it'd be a no brainer that he'd be the guy, and that would get us back to a pretty normal rotation.

Yep & that's were not having the extra scholarship money all the other SEC schools has (except Bama) hurts us.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

DD would have 5 days rest were he to pitch an elimination game Thursday. That may be enough time for Butch to let him go though.

Yep & that's were not having the extra scholarship money all the other SEC schools has (except Bama) hurts us.

You're right on DD. I was thinking it would be his sixth day since his last start. I think that would be enough time. That would be like Keegan starting a Friday and then a Thursday during the season.

19 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Hell just win the damn SEC tourney and be done with it...................................

There's a gif I want to reply with but not sure it would be appreciated by some mods even with the cuss word in it modified mostly out.

Just now, ellitor said:

There's a gif I want to reply with but not sure it would be appreciated by some mods even with the cuss word in it modified.

triple dog dare you

1 minute ago, augolf1716 said:

triple dog dare you

I know you wouldn't mind but there are a couple mods I think wouldn't like it.

It's a classic from the movie Major League for those who didn't think of it immediately.

Just now, ellitor said:

I know you wouldn't mind but there are a couple mods I think wouldn't like it.

It's a classic from the movie Major League for those who didn't think of it immediately.

oh I knew what you had in mind

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

I am certainly not a college,or High School coach for that matter, but have several years of coaching baseball up to 18 year olds and many years of watching and learning. In my humble opinion if I am fielding a team I am going for the win. I might have a plan to use both aces in the game but if my starter is pitching well at a certain pitch count and shutting the other team down,I just don't believe I could make myself pull him and run the risk. It ain't softball where I can reinsert him.

27 minutes ago, oldman said:

I am certainly not a college,or High School coach for that matter, but have several years of coaching baseball up to 18 year olds and many years of watching and learning. In my humble opinion if I am fielding a team I am going for the win. I might have a plan to use both aces in the game but if my starter is pitching well at a certain pitch count and shutting the other team down,I just don't believe I could make myself pull him and run the risk. It ain't softball where I can reinsert him.

I think it's a matter of finding the balance between throwing them enough while protecting them from injury and overworking them. If Keegan and/or Casey hadn't had injury issues, I don't think we'd be talking about this right now. Even on really short rest, I think Keegan or Casey could go 6+ today. But with their arm issues, while you want to win this game, I don't think you can jeopardize the future of this season to win this game. And I think you have to trust that other guys can step up and help this team win. 

8 minutes ago, boomstick said:

I think it's a matter of finding the balance between throwing them enough while protecting them from injury and overworking them. If Keegan and/or Casey hadn't had injury issues, I don't think we'd be talking about this right now. Even on really short rest, I think Keegan or Casey could go 6+ today. But with their arm issues, while you want to win this game, I don't think you can jeopardize the future of this season to win this game. And I think you have to trust that other guys can step up and help this team win. 

I would certainly hope that Keegan can go on what I consider 5 days rest and go at least 6 innings, if not his draft stock will drop(IMO). Yes he has had problems but the scouts will know all that and again it will hurt his draft status. Mize should be ready or there are more problems there than is being made public.

2 hours ago, oldman said:

I have 30+ years of being involved in the game as player, coach, manager and league official at several different levels. No way I would go into this game with the idea of arbitrarily using both starters "just because". Next week is a long, long way off. If one or both of them has an arm situation that requires more than 5 days rest between outings they need to be at the clinic today, not at the ball field.

4 hours ago, boomstick said:

Both Vandy and South Carolina are throwing pitchers who have a combined 4 starts between them. It looks like the only weekend starter that will throw in the first two games is Tanner Houck from Missouri (and he didn't throw this past weekend). aTm looks like they're starting their midweek guy who has 6 starts on the season. 

Not sure what the coaches are thinking but my South Carolina friend is pretty sure that their coach will be gone after this year . That is a bit hard to understand but they have become used to better results than what they are seeing now and maybe it has something to do with how the team is set for the future. ...the trend.?

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Not sure what the coaches are thinking but my South Carolina friend is pretty sure that their coach will be gone after this year . That is a bit hard to understand but they have become used to better results than what they are seeing now and maybe it has something to do with how the team is set for the future. ...the trend.?

Yeah, there's a lot of talk about Holbrook not returning next year. He's caught a bunch of really bad breaks this year. I'd like to see them keep him for another year, but I can understand if they let him go. 

As far as how teams are using pitchers, I think it speaks to the short turnaround and not wanting to throw a weekend guy on such short rest. I believe OM is throwing their Friday night starter like we are. 

4 hours ago, oldman said:

I would certainly hope that Keegan can go on what I consider 5 days rest and go at least 6 innings, if not his draft stock will drop(IMO). Yes he has had problems but the scouts will know all that and again it will hurt his draft status. Mize should be ready or there are more problems there than is being made public.

Keegan will be going on 4 days rest, Friday-Monday.

43 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Also has to do with the fact their AD is Ray Tanner, who was the legendary coach that made SC great. It's his baby so he probably demands a lot of the baseball program.

Just now, ellitor said:

Also has to do with the fact their AD is Ray Tanner, who was the legendary coach that made SC great. It's his baby so he probably demands a lot of the baseball program.

That is true but Holbrook is his boy... was one of his assistants. Tanner picked him as the head coach when he moved up to A D .  More likely , Tanner is giving him as much leeway as he possibly can . It will not be an easy decision for Tanner . 

Archived