Auburn Super Regional TV & Times set

Game 1: Friday, 3 p.m. CT, ESPN2 
Game 2: Saturday, 12 p.m. CT, ESPN 
Game 3: Sunday, 12 p.m. CT, ESPN (if necessary)

Link

AUBURN, Ala. – The No. 8 Auburn softball team is set to host No. 6 Oklahoma in the NCAA Super Regionals with a berth in the Women’s College World Series on the line. The Tigers (49-10) and Sooners (54-9) will play a best-of-three series at Jane B. Moore Field, May 26-28.

Friday’s game is set to be televised on ESPN2 at 3 p.m. CT, while Saturday’s tilt will be shown at 12 p.m. CT on ESPN. Sunday’s if-necessary contest will also be televised on ESPN at 12 p.m. CT.

All three contests will be called by Brit Bowen and Brad Law in the radio booth locally on 95.9 FM and the official Auburn app.

The two teams kicked off the 2017 season in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico with Auburn securing a 3-2 victory. In that game, Kendall Veach belted two solo home runs, while Courtney Shea added an RBI single.

Makayla Martin earned the win after spinning six and 2/3 innings in the circle. Kaylee Carlson came on and struck out the final two batters to earn the save.

Oklahoma holds a 4-2 advantage in the series all-time. Since head coach Clint Myers arrived on The Plains, the Tigers and Sooners have each won two duels. 

Link

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

What's the point of writing an article and citing rankings when the teams are seeded in the tournament? I don't think I've ever seen that before.

1 hour ago, WDEKC said:

What's the point of writing an article and citing rankings when the teams are seeded in the tournament? I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Happens quite a bit actually on school sites. They often use their favorite rankings instead of the NCAA's postseason seeding.

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

Happens quite a bit actually on school sites. They often use their favorite rankings instead of the NCAA's postseason seeding.

But this one is from Auburn and has Auburn ranked 8th when they are seeded 7th.....

I get during the season picking whichever poll ranks you highest and that definitely happens a lot from school sites, but seems pretty odd to assign yourself a ranking worse than your seed during the NCAA tournament.

Either way, even if it happens, it's pretty dumb.

4 minutes ago, WDEKC said:

Either way, even if it happens, it's pretty dumb.

Agreed.

This may be a stupid question but, here goes...Is the set up AU will be home team in game 1 and, if necessary, game 3? 

41 minutes ago, ellitor said:

1. Yes. 3. Not necessarily. The NCAA has stupid rules on this IMO. They alternate who gets the last at bat in games 1 & 2 which is just.  Game 3 home team is decided strictly by coin flip.

I completely agree that the rules on this are stupid.  When you earn the right to host a regional or a super regional, you should ALWAYS be the home team every time you play.   There is no mention in the Pre-Championship manual anywhere of using a coin flip to determine home team for any game.

DETERMINATION OF HOME/AWAY AND UNIFORM COLORS
The home team will occupy the third base dugout and shall select the desired uniform color first. The visiting team must wear a
contrasting uniform color to the jersey of the home team. Discrepancies will be settled by the site representative in consultation
with the umpire. As a reminder, when teams play back-to-back games, team must be prepared to change uniforms, if necessary.
Noncompliance with this policy may result in misconduct as outlined in the Softball Pre-Championship Manual.
The home team for the first round will be the higher-seeded team. In subsequent games, the home team will be determined
according to the following formula:
The games committee will designate as home team the institution that has been home team the fewest times (regionals
and finals are considered separately).
If two teams have been home team an equal number of times but visiting team an unequal number of times,
the team that has been the visitor most often will be designated as the home team.
If two teams have been both home team and visiting team an equal number of times, and if the two teams previously
met, the visitor in the initial game shall be the home team in the second game.
If games between the same teams are back to back, the home team will be the visitor from the previous game regardless
of the number of times either team has been home or visitor.
If two teams have been both home team and visiting team an equal number of times, the team that was the visitor in its
preceding game will be the home team, unless both teams were the visitor in their preceding games.
If the preceding formula does not prevail, the higher-seeded team shall determine if it would like to be home or visitor.
When teams play back-to-back games, they must be prepared to change uniforms and dugouts, if necessary.

That must be new this year. In the 2 AU Super Regionals I worked the past 2 years the AU event staff told us game 3 host was decided by coin flip. I've alsu seen said that way on many Baseball & softball Super Regionals on TV too. The above way WT post seems more just though.

5 hours ago, MDM4AU said:

This may be a stupid question but, here goes...Is the set up AU will be home team in game 1 and, if necessary, game 3? 

Starting this year yes. In previous years game 3 home team was decided by coin flip.

19 hours ago, WarTiger said:

I completely agree that the rules on this are stupid.  When you earn the right to host a regional or a super regional, you should ALWAYS be the home team every time you play.   There is no mention in the Pre-Championship manual anywhere of using a coin flip to determine home team for any game.

Completely agree here.  You should be rewarded to be the host on all games.  That is a privilege you have earned.  As far the rules you posted after this, that just confuses the heck out me.  Why make it so complicated, when the higher seed should be the host?  I guess the privilege is being able to have all 3 games in front of your home crowd.  The flip flopping is to also make the series more competitive IMO.

40 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Completely agree here.  You should be rewarded to be the host on all games.  That is a privilege you have earned.  As far the rules you posted after this, that just confuses the heck out me.  Why make it so complicated, when the higher seed should be the host?  I guess the privilege is being able to have all 3 games in front of your home crowd.  The flip flopping is to also make the series more competitive IMO.

Not saying I agree with them but the NCAA philosophy is to try to make the game play like being in a neutral site as much as possible. In their minds make it as fair as possible. They feel the higher seeds have enough of an advantage just being in their home park. That's why the high seed is never the designated home team any more than 1 time in a series more than their opponent in the post season.

Archived