How do you tip?

How Do You TIp?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you tip servers?

• Tip on the entire bill. More than 18% for good service.
    • Tip on the entire bill. Less than 18% for good service.
    • Tip on food only. More than 18% for good service.
    • Tip on food only. Less than 18% for good service.
    • I don't believe in tipping unless my server "earns" it.

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

Do you tip at sonic?

Yes but not on %. Usually a dollar. But more often use the drive through and don't tip. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, bigbird said:

Do you tip at sonic?

Competent delivery of a foot-long chili-dog, extra onions, add mustard, via roller skates?

Yeah!

11 hours ago, alexava said:

Yes but not on %. Usually a dollar. But more often use the drive through and don't tip. 

8 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Competent delivery of a foot-long chili-dog, extra onions, add mustard, via roller skates?

Yeah!

I dig these responses.

• 3 weeks later...

I always thought I was a "big" tipper because I normally do 20% for quality service on a meal that costs a decent bit, cheap meals might be tipped 50%, 100%, or 200% if service is good and friendly, always looked at it like this: It's not the waiter/waitresses fault that me and my wife ordered a cheap sandwich and ice water and if they still do their job well on a low check table then they deserve more.

I thought when I was younger that 15% was the norm... and heck, maybe it was.... it has been awhile :lol:

12 hours ago, Mims44 said:

I thought when I was younger that 15% was the norm... and heck, maybe it was.... it has been awhile :lol:

It was. Not sure exactly when or why it became 20% or closer to it, but there do seem to be generational and cultural differences in approach. 

I know a lot of people view it differently after having worked in a restaurant. I sure did. 

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It was. Not sure exactly when or why it became 20% or closer to it, but there do seem to be generational and cultural differences in approach. 

I know a lot of people view it differently after having worked in a restaurant. I sure did. 

Mostly kind'a evolutionary for me, but the biggest and most sudden shift was a few international excursions back in the era of hyper-inflated currencies. Felt like I could leave a soup bowl full of bills without doing' him/her a damed bit of good.

14 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Mostly kind'a evolutionary for me, but the biggest and most sudden shift was a few international excursions back in the era of hyper-inflated currencies. Felt like I could leave a soup bowl full of bills without doing' him/her a damed bit of good.

Whereas you can go to Mexico now, lead with a $5 bill on your first round, and have a new best friend for the night. 

By the way, when I cited generational and cultural differences, I certainly wasn't suggesting that any corollary is absolute or even particularly strong. Just limited observations made and received. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Whereas you can go to Mexico now, lead with a $5 bill on your first round, and have a new best friend for the night. 

By the way, when I cited generational and cultural differences, I certainly wasn't suggesting that any corollary is absolute or even particularly strong. Just limited observations made and received. 

and I think I mentioned this earlier,

back when I was a server (and when I could still buy silver dollars @ ~$3), people would damn' near do backflips.

Value is a funny thing.

8 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

and I think I mentioned this earlier,

back when I was a server (and when I could still buy silver dollars @ ~$3), people would damn' near do backflips.

Value is a funny thing.

So very, very true. 

On 7/6/2017 at 9:51 AM, McLoofus said:

This is a good point. Treat the bartenders right and they'll treat you right. I've had a lot of conspicuously low tabs because of generous tipping. 

Archived