SEC Baseball Tournament

DAXFaqQU0AAkSJ8.jpg

Bubble teams entering the tourney

#7 seed Texas A&M (36-21,16-15) SEC Series Record 5-5: SOS 48: RPI 43
#8 seed AU (35-22,17-14) SEC Series Record 7-3: SOS 33: RPI 41
#9 seed Ole Miss (32-25, 14-17) SEC Series Record 5-5: SOS 9: RPI 35
#10 seed Missouri (35-21, 15-16) SEC Series Record 4-6: SOS 60: RPI 48
#11 seed South Carolina (33-23, 14-17) SEC Series Record 2-8: SOS 16: RPI 33

My guess right now is the 9-11 seeds have to play their way into regionals.

Game 1 is underway with Carolina leading Vandy 2-0 in the 2nd inning.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both Vandy and South Carolina are throwing pitchers who have a combined 4 starts between them. It looks like the only weekend starter that will throw in the first two games is Tanner Houck from Missouri (and he didn't throw this past weekend). aTm looks like they're starting their midweek guy who has 6 starts on the season. 

I wouldn't be at all surprised if a win or two isn't necessary to get AU and A&M in. A lot can happen elsewhere that has an effect on us. Our position, without at least one more win, is shaky.

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if a win or two isn't necessary to get AU and A&M in. A lot can happen elsewhere that has an effect on us. Our position, without at least one more win, is shaky.

I'd be shocked if the SEC only got 6 teams into the tournament and two SEC teams with winning conference records were left out. It might happen; there's a first time for everything. But I'd be shocked.

So would we be in the talk to host a regional should we take this whole thing, or based on our 7 game skid and RPI would we still be sitting in a 2-3 seed?

Just now, Charleston Tiger said:

So would we be in the talk to host a regional should we take this whole thing, or based on our 7 game skid and RPI would we still be sitting in a 2-3 seed?

Win the SEC tournament and we'd certainly at least be "in the talk". Our RPI would soar in the process of winning it.

3 minutes ago, Charleston Tiger said:

The RPI would improve quite a bit because of the neutral field setting and just about every opponent in front of us having a better RPI than us. But I think it's pretty unlikely that we could host, even with those wins. Just too much ground to make up.

8 minutes ago, boomstick said:

I'd be shocked if the SEC only got 6 teams into the tournament and two SEC teams with winning conference records were left out. It might happen; there's a first time for everything. But I'd be shocked.

We could get passed by an Ol' Miss or somesuch. Maybe I've just seen Auburn dissed too many times to have any confidence in what some panel of voters will do.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

We could get passed by an Ol' Miss or somesuch. Maybe I've just seen Auburn dissed too many times to have any confidence in what some panel of voters will do.

Maybe , but in this case I think Auburn has dissed itself by the way it has closed out the season. I think that a win today is essential . I guess however it is possible that some other teams on the bubble might help us out by losing critical games and taking some of the pressure off. 

Meanwhile it looks like Texas A and M is playing itself out of the NCAA tourney. . If they lose to Missouri ...which they are on the way to doing ....they might open the door a bit for Auburn .....though IMO..we still need to win. 

2 hours ago, boomstick said:

We aren't the #1 RPI conference like we usually are. That could affect things.

2 hours ago, Charleston Tiger said:

With due respect it's not even worth discussing IMO until we get to Semifinal Saturday.

Carolina wins game 1 over Vandy 7-4. They play UK tomorrow. Their RPI temporarily improves to #34.

Mizzou is pounding Aggie pitching in game 2, up 11-7 in the 6th inning.

Added the SEC Series Records & SOS for each of the bubble teams to the OP.

20 minutes ago, The Freak said:

https://www.seccountry.com/mississippi/grae-kessinger-ping-pong-freak-injury

I'll admit, I lol'd.  Sounds like something I would have done in college.

Agree , but hope he only had one more game anyway .

Auburn has a pretty good chance to end the season for Ole Miss tonight though I guess with their RPI a loss to Auburn might not keep them out. . 

18 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Agree , but hope he only had one more game anyway .

Auburn has a pretty good chance to end the season for Ole Miss tonight though I guess with their RPI a loss to Auburn might not keep them out. . 

With them having a winning record against the #16 SOS in the nation I would agree.

Just now, augolf1716 said:

Any updates figured AU would be playing by now

aTm & Mizzou resumed in the 6th inning at 6:30 CT. They are in the Top of the 8th now. AU start time at the earliest looks to be about 8 CT now. Way past your bed time old fart.

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

aTm & Mizzou resumed in the 6th inning at 6:30 CT. They are in the Top of the 8th now. AU start time at the earliest looks to be about 8 CT now. Way past your bed time old fart.

yep I'll be in bed by 9:00 Eastern damn but thanks for the update

Mizzou keeps their regional hopes alive as they beat aTm 12-7. AU- Ole Miss first pitch now set for 7:55 CT.

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Mizzou keeps their regional hopes alive as they beat aTm 12-7. AU- Ole Miss first pitch now set for 7:55 CT.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Always nice to " win" without actually playing.

It is my view that for bubble teams, the committee is looking for reasons to exclude teams rather than to include some that are questionable.

The game last night should help us in that regard . JMO

Archived