State of baseball recruiting

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

And just to reiterate ....we've been weak defensively in the middle of the infield for several years....really would be nice to have someone out there where every hard hit ground ball toward the 4 or 6 hole does not make my heart race. 

We were actually average in the middle this year relative to other SEC teams. I considered it a bright spot considering how dredful we were in previous years.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

We were actually average in the middle this year relative to other SEC teams. I considered it a bright spot considering how dredful we were in previous years.

guess that could be ..maybe it was something about ...the more damaging an error could be...the more likely it was that one would be committed....and that's why they seem so memorable.  

I have faith that Holland will come along...just not sure where his natural positon is...or should be. 

55 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Getting off Carrasquel and back to the subject: I think the first and most crying need is for a catcher or two. It would be nice if he can hit but that's one of the few positions where hitting ability takes a back seat to what he can do on the field. Now, Butch may have one saved back but if not, we'd better sign two and hope one is SEC ready.

Thanks for getting of the Carrosuel. Most of the 2018 class is set anyway & what happens over there will have little effect on our recruiting. As for the catcher part we have 1 signed & he's a stud in Steven Williams but it may be hard to get him to AU also. He is ranked the #3 high school catcher in the nation by PerfectGame & #44 overall. That projects to potentially being a Top 3 round draft pick. It may be hard from keeping him to turn pro also.

The French Canadian is a switch hitting infielder who can fly...6.5 in the 60 which is on par with Jeren Kendall of Vandy who leads the league in steals.  What little you can see of his swing is not overly impressive...pretty quick from the left side, a little longer and lazier from the right.  Less than max effort from his lower half and off balanced at the finish from both sides.  I've got to believe he's going to be a year or two developing at a minimum, but he's got speed that can't be taught.

21 hours ago, ellitor said:

26 in the 2018 class on PerfectGame.com

That's 2 seasons from now BTW. The class for the next season is the 2017 class & we are 11th in the nation ATM.

38 minutes ago, ellitor said:

That's 2 seasons from now BTW. The class for the next season is the 2017 class & we are 11th in the nation ATM.

This was the number I thought we had. Was a little confused when I saw the high 20 rank

Problem with baseball is that more than any other sport you don't know what your class is going to look like until the guys attend their first class. 

oaches walking a fine line.......finding kids good enough to play SEC ball but not quite enough for the MLB to wave a bunch of bucks under their noses. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Problem with baseball is that more than any other sport you don't know what your class is going to look like until the guys attend their first class. 

oaches walking a fine line.......finding kids good enough to play SEC ball but not quite enough for the MLB to wave a bunch of bucks under their noses. 

In some cases it's you don't know  til their JR years and if you have many of them left.

31 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

@augolf1716 could someone pin the '17 class and '18 recruits

I will on the 17 class when I'm done updating it within the next day or so. Right now I'm gathering as many scouting reports as I can on each signee or commit. I was trying to make it a surprise for y'all.

The 18 list is hard to find. PerfectGame has a list but based on them having some on the 17 list for AU wrong I'd rather not use their list. Also my plan was to not have a 2018 Recruiting thread til the 2018 class signs in November of this year because of accuracy of baseball commit list usually being inaccurate..

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I will on the 17 class when I'm done updating it within the next day or so. Right now I'm gathering as many scouting reports as I can on each signee or commit. I was trying to make it a surprise for y'all.

The 18 list is hard to find. PerfectGame has a list but based on them having some on the 17 list for AU wrong I'd rather not use their list. Also my plan was to not have a 2018 Recruiting thread til the 2018 class signs in November of this year because of accuracy of baseball commit list usually being inaccurate..

If you want me to create a thread using the 2018 commit list from Perfect Game I will, just give me til after the AU-OU softball series to get it done.

22 minutes ago, ellitor said:

thanks e much appreciate 

I hope we add some speed with this class. That's one thing I've noticed about this group. Outside of Todd, we don't have many really speedy guys. Daniel Robert either leads the team or is close to the lead in steals. I'd like to see us get more aggressive on the bases, like LSU plays, but we need more team speed IMO. 

10 minutes ago, boomstick said:

I hope we add some speed with this class. That's one thing I've noticed about this group. Outside of Todd, we don't have many really speedy guys. Daniel Robert either leads the team or is close to the lead in steals. I'd like to see us get more aggressive on the bases, like LSU plays, but we need more team speed IMO. 

We have some speed in the class. Not sure though how much of using it on the base pads is a part of Coach Bo's philiosophy.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

We have some speed in the class. Not sure though how much of using it on the base pads is a part of Coach Bo's philiosophy.

I don't see us stealing a lot of bases...but some speed would help on the base path...stretching singles, taking the extra base, scoring from second, etc.

16 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Perhaps not, but I think if we have an abundance of speed, we might be more apt to use it. It seems we've become less aggressive on the bases recently, maybe because we think we can't afford to run ourselves out of innings. Not really sure. That's something I'd like to see us adjust in the offseason. And not necessarily the straight steal. I'd love to see more hit-and-runs, getting runners in motion. I thought we did a good job of that early in the season before the book on how to pitch to our lineup was really clearly written.

Thanks E that would be awesome. (Sorry I ruined the surprise). 

I think this team needs power and pitching depth. We'all get some of both with the incoming class, but a few of those guys are potential high draft picks. 

with the amount of double plays turned against us with our habit of hitting ground balls, I would assume stealing bases (the few who can) would have happened more often.

11 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

who looks to be in the rotation next year? Mize, and Daniel, and then who? Is Sprinkle going to make it as a SP?

Gotta wait to see who turns pro after the draft before that question can be answers. There are a couple of stud pitchers in the recruiting class. Also some pitchers on the roster have to develop through Fall ball. The #3 starter is definitely wise open right now.

16 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Gotta wait to see who turns pro after the draft before that question can be answers. There are a couple of stud pitchers in the recruiting class. Also some pitchers on the roster have to develop through Fall ball. The #3 starter is definitely wise open right now.

Guess I'm hoping that after a full year with Butch..guys like Comacho, Anderson, Watson and Daniel will make a real step forward. 

I've given up on Sprinkle I'm afraid, but the jury is still out on Mitchell and Coker as to whether they can become more reliable as middle relief or closer.  

Replacing Lipscomb might be the biggest and most important task of the summer....

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Guess I'm hoping that after a full year with Butch..guys like Comacho, Anderson, Watson and Daniel will make a real step forward. 

I've given up on Sprinkle I'm afraid, but the jury is still out on Mitchell and Coker as to whether they can become more reliable as middle relief or closer.  

Replacing Lipscomb might be the biggest and most important task of the summer....

We also have one of the better juco pitchers in the nation coming in lefty Evan Steele. If he sticks with AU & not whoever drafts him he will have a chance to make noise as jucos are typically a bit more mature and have an advantage to possibly handle things better early on in transition to a 4 year school.

6 hours ago, AU64 said:

Sprinkle has good stuff. He just needs to learn how to control it with more consistency.  I haven't given up on him because he's a hard working kid. He may turn it around yet.

Davis Daniel has already improved a lot since the beginning of the season. IMHO he'll be a great one barring injury. He just needed experience and some maturity.

4 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Sprinkle has good stuff. He just needs to learn how to control it with more consistency.  I haven't given up on him because he's a hard working kid. He may turn it around yet.

Davis Daniel has already improved a lot since the beginning of the season. IMHO he'll be a great one barring injury. He just needed experience and some maturity.

That's always a hard call for a coach as to how much time to spend on a guy who is not making sufficient progress. 

We see this all the time in football with QBs who seem to have what it takes ..yet can't quite grasp the position.   At some point with only a certain amount of time for individual coaching, they have to decide where the future lies....but it would be nice if you are right.

The other guys showed flashes of what I think they can become....just need experience to handle the pressure and become more consistent.  The good news in my view at least is that we probably won't have to play 1/4th of the season trying to find our 3rd or 4th pitcher..... and are not likely to watch 5 runs leads evaporate against middling teams like this past season.

Archived