Auburn vs. Florida 1993

WarEagle1982

I know that a ton of attention is always given to the win over Florida in the Swamp in 1994, but I think the win over the Gators in 93 may have been as much of a feat or possibly more.  I vividly remember sitting by the radio listening to Florida drive to, the way it appeared, go up 17-0 and most likely put the game away early.  THEN...Calvin Jackson steps in front of a Wuerffel pass and takes it 95 yards and the game was on!  I remember sitting with excitement as Stan White drove them, piece by piece, for the game winning FG that was knocked home by Scott Etheridge.  It was that day that I truly knew that the 93 team was extremely special and could beat anybody.  War Eagle!

Etheridge in '93...Duval in '01...Byrum in '07.

Wish we'd play them in the SECC this year so we could add Carlson to that list.

I had season tix but had to sell them for that game because I was on my honeymoon in St. Thomas, USVI.   I promised my bride that I wouldn't watch or listen to football but  with her approval I kept getting updates at the pool side bar.  Late in the game with the game tied we went to get ready for dinner and she graciously let me watch Sports Center to get a final score.  Once I saw that Auburn had won, I could hardly wait to return to stateside the following day.  What an end to a honeymoon in paradise!

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Etheridge was an all-timer. We might be Kicker U as much as we are RBU. 

Recent seasons notwithstanding, AU could be considered Punter U if you go back the last 30 years.  Lewis Colbert was superb (with 1/2 a foot) and Terry Daniel was the "Bo" of punters, not to mention names I can't remember.  HEY, they were PUNTERS after all....

11 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Recent seasons notwithstanding, AU could be considered Punter U if you go back the last 30 years.  Lewis Colbert was superb (with 1/2 a foot) and Terry Daniel was the "Bo" of punters, not to mention names I can't remember.  HEY, they were PUNTERS after all....

Damon Duvall, Steven Clark... we've had 'em. 

Would a punter be a team player for wanting playing time?

Would that mean he's rooting for the offense to fail?

4 hours ago, WarEagle1982 said:

I know that a ton of attention is always given to the win over Florida in the Swamp in 1994, but I think the win over the Gators in 93 may have been as much of a feat or possibly more.

Completely agree with this. In fact, this is the game I remember most vividly from that season. The Calvin Jackson play was nuts.

We always sat in front of Aubie's stand on the sidelines, and those seats made this game memorable for me for two reasons: 1) The cover of the next "Inside the Auburn Tigers" after that game had Calvin Jackson running the ball back for the TD. He was in front of Aubie's stand so you can see me in the crowd behind him (still have a copy), 2) After Etheridge kicked the game winner he ran over to the student section, jumped up on Aubie's platform, and started swinging around this inflatable gator on a noose that Aubie had been holding all through the game. I yelled at Scott to throw it to me and he did. Went walking through the crowd back to the dorm holding that up, and a couple of weeks later got it signed by Terry Bowden. Still have that in a box somewhere.

5 hours ago, WarEagle1982 said:

I know that a ton of attention is always given to the win over Florida in the Swamp in 1994, but I think the win over the Gators in 93 may have been as much of a feat or possibly more.  I vividly remember sitting by the radio listening to Florida drive to, the way it appeared, go up 17-0 and most likely put the game away early.  THEN...Calvin Jackson steps in front of a Wuerffel pass and takes it 95 yards and the game was on!  I remember sitting with excitement as Stan White drove them, piece by piece, for the game winning FG that was knocked home by Scott Etheridge.  It was that day that I truly knew that the 93 team was extremely special and could beat anybody.  War Eagle!

this is one of the top 3 auburn football games I ever attended. I went because I couldn't get rid of my tickets. from the CJ td return to the end of the game maybe the loudest game I've ever heard.

2 hours ago, damabama said:

this is one of the top 3 auburn football games I ever attended. I went because I couldn't get rid of my tickets. from the CJ td return to the end of the game maybe the loudest game I've ever heard.

Totally agree.  Maybe the loudest from start to finish of any game I ever attended.  When Florida would break huddle the entire stadium would go into a roar on every play not just 3rd downs. 

I skipped work that day.  Called in sick and just so happened to run into my big boss outside the stadium.  Our voices were still bad Monday morning after yelling.  He covered and said I'm glad you're feeling better but you still sound horrible.  First real job I ever had.  

3 hours ago, corchjay said:

Totally agree.  Maybe the loudest from start to finish of any game I ever attended.  When Florida would break huddle the entire stadium would go into a roar on every play not just 3rd downs. 

I skipped work that day.  Called in sick and just so happened to run into my big boss outside the stadium.  Our voices were still bad Monday morning after yelling.  He covered and said I'm glad you're feeling better but you still sound horrible.  First real job I ever had.  

Sounds like a cool boss?I listened to the game on a portable radio sitting in a dingy call room at a VA hospital; I'm sure the vets were freaked out by the guy screaming down the hall from them,lol

I was 12 and still remember how loud the stadium got when Calvin intercepted that pass.  It was nuts.  Agree, loudest game I ever attended.  Ace Atkins made his mark on that game too.  Bostic bottled up and then breaks through for a TD. Frank Sanders reverse for a TD.

I hated Jack Jackson and wanted someone to lay him out everytime he took off his helmet on the field. 

Oh the memories.

Best game I've seen in person. I was in the stands near the end zone when Jackson intercepted that pass. I saw him make the break on the ball, I knew he had it, and knew he would score. It was truly game on after that. 

War Eagle!

54 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Damn watch it

Man, that's fun to watch?We damn sure had some DBs that made plays on the ball in '93/'94. Where do the years go? Almost 25 of 'em now ....

On 5/24/2017 at 10:00 AM, McLoofus said:

Etheridge was an all-timer. We might be Kicker U as much as we are RBU. 

I remember him being pretty solid as a kicker but I sure wish Pat Dye hadn't said what did about him looking a little feminine. 

Student section, directly behind the goalpost. Nice view of the winning kick. My favorite moment that season. Even more than the IB. 

Though we had a crappy coaching staff in 1993, we did have some really good players who never gave up because they wanted to win and they found ways to win in that championship season.

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 2:30 PM, damabama said:

This is one of the top games I ever attended as well and was also one of the loudest.Man that was a great game to attend the atmosphere was just electric.

I was in school and at that game as well. It's one of my go to stories as best AU game day experiences ever. 

Sat just a few rows down from where Scott Etheridge's then g/f  was sitting during that game.  What a nervous wreck. 

And all the gator fans, shouting  " Whoop ! There it is !! " , as they were about to go up 17-0...

:laugh: 

On 5/25/2017 at 7:08 PM, augolf1716 said:

Damn watch it

A young Jimbo Fisher at about the 4:30 mark of this video 

Just had to chime in to say that this was my first Auburn game, and what a great one to start on!!! I will never forget sitting in the upper deck screaming my head off and jumping up and down, then going to roll Toomer's with my mom and dad.

I know they weren't the long-term NFL type guys, but if you look at the numbers and especially big play potential that has to be one of the top 5 secondaries in SEC history.  They also played as a unit better than any AU secondary I can remember.

Archived