Athlon ranking #9

aubiefifty

26 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Side note: How sad is it that someone could sanely make an argument for another football team taking the Tigers of Auburn University lightly. 

Like, I'm pretty sure most of us disagree with it being a possibility, but it's not exactly as ridiculous a thought as it should be.

That stops now. Right, Gus?

Right?

Need an Agree button because I don't want to Like this. Here's to hoping Gus has a huge plate of smothered hash browns at Waffle House in Clemson :)

I am buying Gus a can opener and sending it FEDEX and checking the box,  "signature required!"  That way I know he has the tools to 'open that can' at Clemson!!  

I think we have too many new wrinkles on O and I believe our D will have an advantage over their O.  We win by 2 TD.

I'm sorry, but I have reached a point in my fandom that I have zero expectations until I see the team play a game or three. All the pre-season prognostication is "fun", but I've had my foozeball dreams smashed and burned with raging hot fire lava too many times to get excited. And no, this has zero to with Gus and everything to do to with 18-23 year old football players. I just refuse to get too high or too low.  

Signed,

Pre Season Poll Curmudgeon.

11 hours ago, Beaker said:

I am buying Gus a can opener and sending it FEDEX and checking the box,  "signature required!"  That way I know he has the tools to 'open that can' at Clemson!!  

I think we have too many new wrinkles on O and I believe our D will have an advantage over their O.  We win by 2 TD.

lol nice one! I have a bad feeling after going back and looking at the clips of games later into the season with our D. I was feeling good at first but I think this might be yet another year where our offense is our best defense..boy i hope i'm wrong.

On 5/26/2017 at 8:36 AM, auburn4ever said:

Don't over look Georgia Southern. We need to think about them first.

Of course.

Some might just look at it as an excellent opportunity to establish our QB depth chart?

Clemson is definitely in the replace not rebuild phase.  They have done a great job recruiting and developing talent since Dabo has been there.   Their Qbs didn't look soo hot in the spring game and they don't have an over powering run game.  It's good that Auburn plays them early as I could see them getting better as the season progresses.  Auburn should be pretty good out of the gate.  It'll be a good game for sure.  Doubt it'll be an 11am kickoff this time. 

23 hours ago, Charhair said:

No one is going to take us lightly this season. 

We're starting the season #9 (according the Athlon but I'm going to use it just for the sake of a ranking) 

We played one hell of a game against Clemson last year and now travel to their house to take them on after one of their greatest seasons of all time. Unless something crazy happens to us week one, we'll be walking in their with a target on our back as Clemson will want to prove they still have what they had last year and beating a top 10 SEC team can do that for you. They'll have just as much of a target on their's but there is no way they're taking us lightly.

And if we do have a good team this year, especially if we have a team entering SEC play undefeated with a W against the reigning champs, no one is taking us lightly this year. 

No one seems to be taking us lightly this season. We seem to be getting an awful lot of early preseason love despite the fact that “we played one hell of a game” (in more ways than three?)

23 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Side note: How sad is it that someone could sanely make an argument for another football team taking the Tigers of Auburn University lightly. 

Like, I'm pretty sure most of us disagree with it being a possibility, but it's not exactly as ridiculous a thought as it should be.

Right?

Be of good cheer. Few (sane) seem to even be trying.

19-16 last year (despite…), with at least a reasonably credible comeback run afterwards.

ESPN FPI analysis – Clemson's win chance = 52.5% [http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/fpi/_/id/228/clemson-tigers]

“Let’s take a look at what the hardest games on our schedule, ranked from most difficult to easiest…2. Auburn. Auburn has talent and a new quarterback in Baylor transfer Jarett Stidham. These Tigers took some personnel hits on defense during the offseason, but the offense should be in far better shape than it was last season. This game will show both teams where they stand early in the season.”[http://www.tigernet.com/story/football/Clemsons-2017-schedule-Ranking-the-opponents-15871]

I suspect we’ll get everybody’s best ‘til (if/when?) we stumble and, quite likely, afterwards.

WDE

23 hours ago, AUwent said:

Us and FSU. Louisville who knows.

Their above-mentioned fan-site has it 1.) FSU, 2.) ours truly, 3.) Louisville

http://www.tigernet.com/story/football/Clemsons-2017-schedule-Ranking-the-opponents-15871

The ACC vs SEC has FSU playing Alabama and Clemson playing us in the first two weeks of the season. If we're not careful, the ACC could be claiming they are the new dominant football conference. I don't expect either ACC school to win, but crazier things have happened.

1 hour ago, drsteve87 said:

The ACC vs SEC has FSU playing Alabama and Clemson playing us in the first two weeks of the season. If we're not careful, the ACC could be claiming they are the new dominant football conference. I don't expect either ACC school to win, but crazier things have happened.

Those 2 games will have a bunch of air time, talking heads making a huge deal of it, etc. 

It is the top 2 in the ACC and possibly the top 2 in the SEC. Those games will be a good measuring stick of the top of the 2 conferences. 

At this point, I would pick bama by a little bit, and call it even between us and Clemson, maybe home field giving them a slight edge.  It would not surprise me at all if the 2 ACC teams both won. I expect both of them to be very good games. And you better believe I am going to be rooting for AU and FSU to win!

On 5/25/2017 at 9:04 AM, Gibson SG said:

If you'll recall, who was the first team we lost to after we won the NC?  That would be Clemson.  Time to return the favor.

Agreed! I will never forget Dabo's douchey post-game Bammer shout out ?

We've lived in Tallahassee for over 25 years now. The FSU-UA game will be a tough one for me to choose who to root for. My two least favorite teams going head to head - I wish both could lose!!!

On 5/26/2017 at 0:29 PM, AUwent said:

Us and FSU. Louisville who knows.

The Louisville game being at Louisville does make it tough. Auburn is probably the most talented team they face next year though. 

18 hours ago, drsteve87 said:

The FSU-UA game will be a tough one for me to choose who to root for.

I really don't care who wins.  I just hope it is an embarrassing lopsided blowout for the loser.

On 5/26/2017 at 0:10 PM, McLoofus said:

Right?

I think Georgia takes  us lightly every year.......

On 5/28/2017 at 7:45 PM, drsteve87 said:

We've lived in Tallahassee for over 25 years now. The FSU-UA game will be a tough one for me to choose who to root for. My two least favorite teams going head to head - I wish both could lose!!!

Please don't feel like you are the only pregnant lady in the room doc steve. FSU is easy to hate anywhere in the panhandle. We have our share of jolleyreds around to but that stench seems to come from most sewer systems.

2 hours ago, lutzcammed said:

I think Georgia takes  us lightly every year.......

They certainly deserve to at this point, as it would seem we've been taking *them* too lightly.

^Can't tell you how many damn times I've heard fans already talking about UAT by mid-November. Bet you anything the players have done the same.

Archived