No, Removing Confederate Monuments Does Not "Erase History"

AUUSN

Confederate Monuments belong in museums, not tax payer public parks.

This article concisely summarizes the historical evidence that the South did, in fact, secede from the Union primarily in order to perpetuate slavery: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/.... 

Here's a list of the Confederate state legislatures' declarations of their reasons for seceding:
https://www.civilwar.org/learn/primar....

For Alexander Stephens' "Cornerstone Speech" of 1861, see 
https://www.civilwar.org/learn/primar.... 

In 1894, Confederate commander John Mosby wrote to a former fellow soldier: "I've always understood that we went to war on account of the thing we quarreled with the North about. I've never heard of any other cause than slavery." (
http://www.encyclopediavirginia.org/M......) In 1907, he wrote to another fellow former Confederate: "I am not ashamed of having fought on the side of slavery." (http://tinyurl.com/kxu9aag)

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AUUSN said:

Confederate Monuments belong in museums, not tax payer public parks.

A large portion of my friends are African American and this is precisely their stance. I agree with them. 

6 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Just a statue. Nothing more.

Then why did our troops help tear it down?

3 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Probably because of it was Saddam. 

Probably because he was a symbol of oppression.

memo_fotos_vmbo-n3v6lpl7h8lpxcgzf0g4dp6i

Removing the flag from state grounds was proper. Leave the monuments alone. They never carried the stigma or were used to intimidate like the flag. Choose your battles wisely, give and take....  so enough, leave the damn monuments alone. Wherever the hell they are. 

43 minutes ago, AUUSN said:

Probably because he was a symbol of oppression.

memo_fotos_vmbo-n3v6lpl7h8lpxcgzf0g4dp6i

see you cut me off. indeed we are still at war. not much difference to most people in an old statue and your favorite parking spot at Publix or Kroger.

44 minutes ago, alexava said:

Removing the flag from state grounds was proper. Leave the monuments alone. They never carried the stigma or were used to intimidate like the flag. Choose your battles wisely, give and take....  so enough, leave the damn monuments alone. Wherever the hell they are. 

Imagine neo-fascists wanting to put up a statue of Hitler in Germany.

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

Imagine neo-fascists wanting to put up a statue of Hitler in Germany.

Never had to imagine that nor have you. You seem to be extremely imaginary. 

59 minutes ago, alexava said:

Great thoughts Alex but it reminds people of oppression. Tear them down, I choose to quit oppressing........

47 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Never had to imagine that nor have you. You seem to be extremely imaginary. 

It's called a "hypothetical".  (Look it up.)

It's a very common device used in debates and any other form of intellectual discourse.

And thanks for the complement.

11 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Great thoughts Alex but it reminds people of oppression. Tear them down, I choose to quit oppressing........

I really don't give a rip. But I just think the flag removal was enough. Like someone mentioned earlier, most of us don't know where the monuments are. They are part of history whether you follow the actual history or the slanted versions. The flag was abused by many, even our state governments in the 60s. I know many people that were bothered by it, deeply. The monuments not so much. Not at all really. Some just take it too far. 

15 minutes ago, alexava said:

I really don't give a rip. But I just think the flag removal was enough. Like someone mentioned earlier, most of us don't know where the monuments are. They are part of history whether you follow the actual history or the slanted versions. The flag was abused by many, even our state governments in the 60s. I know many people that were bothered by it, deeply. The monuments not so much. Not at all really. Some just take it too far. 

No, they are not actually a part of history, they celibrate a part of history.  

Some people are just incapable of going on with life without looking into the past. A statue sitting in a park or wherever has 0 effect on everyday life. To me it's just something else for a bird to fly over and take a crap on besides my car.

7 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

Some people are just incapable of going on with life without looking into the past. A statue sitting in a park or wherever has 0 effect on everyday life. To me it's just something else for a bird to fly over and take a crap on besides my car.

I hear you man. Those Shia and Kurds, living under years of Bathist oppression should have just gotten over it and get on with life. How dare they want Saddam's statue torn down. What snowflakes...

African Americans should just do the same...:-\

Archived