Republican candidate assaults journalist

TexasTiger

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/montana-congressional-candidate-allegedly-assaults-newspaper-reporter-n764421

WASHINGTON — House Speaker Paul Ryan on Thursday called on Republican Greg Gianforte to apologize after he was charged with assaulting a reporter, but said he will leave it up to Montana voters to decide whether they want him to serve in Congress.

"I do not think this is acceptable behavior, but the choice will be made by the people of Montana," Ryan said during a press conference. "I think he should apologize."

Republicans for the most part stood by Gianforte, with several telling reporters he would be welcome on Capitol Hill.

"We all make mistakes," said Ohio GOP Rep. Steve Stivers, the chairman of the National Republican Congressional Committee. "From what I know of Greg Gianforte, this was totally out of character."

Montana Sen. Steve Daines, one of Gianforte's biggest supporters, called on the candidate the apologize and said he would leave it up to law enforcement. "I do not condone violence in any way," he said.

Okay Constitutional experts out there:  Interpret for me how Ariticle I, Section 6a applies in a case where the arrest occurred before taking office? 

The Senators and Representatives ... shall in all Cases, except Treason, Felony and Breach of the Peace, be privileged from Arrest during their Attendance at the Session of their respective Houses, and in going to and returning from the same...

I don't particularly want him to win in the first place, but if he should & but also get the maximum sentence of six months in the pokey after trial, imagine this possible scenario:   His absence from Congress for six key months causes GOP tax and health care plans to lose in Congress by one vote, rendering action on them frozen until the Dems take over Congress in 2019.  [...not predicting it, but I'd sure enjoy watching it!  :popcorn:        :lol: ]

43 minutes ago, quietfan said:

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/montana-congressional-candidate-allegedly-assaults-newspaper-reporter-n764421

Okay Constitutional experts out there:  Interpret for me how Ariticle I, Section 6a applies in a case where the arrest occurred before taking office? 

I don't particularly want him to win in the first place, but if he should & but also get the maximum sentence of six months in the pokey after trial, imagine this possible scenario:   His absence from Congress for six key months causes GOP tax and health care plans to lose in Congress by one vote, rendering action on them frozen until the Dems take over Congress in 2019.  [...not predicting it, but I'd sure enjoy watching it!  :popcorn:        :lol: ]

He won't spend a day in jail. He's a thug who'll be embraced like a brother by his new classless colleagues.

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

You mean he was charged for assaulting a wimp reporter? Wow.

"When "conservatives"--who claim to be defenders of Constitution--applaud violence against journalists, the word is losing all meaning. "

42 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

anyone remember Bob Etheridge he lost

Nope. If the media didn't cover it or think it was bad, then it doesn't matter. :-\

6 minutes ago, AUUSN said:

"When "conservatives"--who claim to be defenders of Constitution--applaud violence against journalists, the word is losing all meaning. "

Not applauding violence. Just asked a question.

4 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

He won't spend a day in jail. He's a thug who'll be embraced like a brother by his new classless colleagues.

I hope you're including Democrats also.

2 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

You think they'll embrace this guy?

They won't because he's a Republican. Not because he's a thug.

But who knows, some Democrats may warm up to him if he opposes Trump on something.

http://www.ontheissues.org/Greg_Gianforte.htm

10 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

You think they'll embrace this guy?

Nope, head dingbat blaming Trump

10:09 a.m.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi says the GOP House candidate in Montana charged with assaulting a reporter is "a wannabe Trump."

10 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Nope, head dingbat blaming Trump

10:09 a.m.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi says the GOP House candidate in Montana charged with assaulting a reporter is "a wannabe Trump."

Do you think Trump's behavior has any broader consequences, or does it meet your standards?

40 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Do you think Trump's behavior has any broader consequences, or does it meet your standards?

Trump has not "body slammed " a wimp reporter. What are asking Tex? "a wannabe Trump."

29 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Trump has not "body slammed " a wimp reporter. What are asking Tex? "a wannabe Trump."

If you're just playing games, don't waste my time.

Jacobs supported Democratic candidates in the past. Now, is this any surprise? Not condoning the Congressman-elect behavior, but sounds like Jacobs was trying to do a "hatch job" on him.

7 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

Jacobs supported Democratic candidates in the past. Now, is this any surprise? Not condoning the Congressman-elect behavior, but sounds like Jacobs was trying to do a "hatch job" on him.

Apparently the people of Montana do not like reporters^-^

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/25/politics/montana-special-election-results/

29 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Apparently the people of Montana do not like reporters^-^

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/25/politics/montana-special-election-results/

I can only imagine why conservatives don't like, trust or respect the press as a whole.

17 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

You mean he was charged for assaulting a wimp reporter? Wow.

Never realized the perceived 'wimpiness' of the victim was relevant in assault cases...

21 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

I can only imagine why conservatives don't like, trust or respect the press as a whole.

Since this is in the 'Smack' forum...

Thanks for admitting Breitbart, WorldNetDaily, Drudge, FOXNews & their ilk don't count as real press, since conservatives seem to like them.

For what it's worth, I don't have to imagine: It's the same reason cockroaches scurry when the light hits 'em..

2 hours ago, PUB78 said:

I can.  They want the government to be able to operate in secrecy if they control it.

They have become what traditional, real conservatives once opposed. 

Archived